Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why do people always think they know best?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Grr! I need to let off steam.

We worked so hard with Rupert to get him to start sleeping in the kitchen on his own. It took 2 weeks of ear plugs and solid hard work to stop him screaming!

However, this weekend we took him to Shrewsbury with us as we were at a wedding. My auntie knows someone with 2 Parson’s JRs and she looked after him for us on the Friday/Saturday evening when we were at the wedding. I told her NOT to let him in the same room as her in the evening and if she was worried about him needing the loo (which he doesn’t through the night now anyway), to put him outside on the landing.

But no, she had him in the room with her, so he was an effing nightmare on Sunday night. He screamed solidly for 3 hours and then finally when I heard him clawing at the door I realised he had gotten out of his crate (which is only a material one). I waited till he’d stopped for a minute then went in and he’d chewed a massive hole and managed to push the zip out, and what’s more is he’d pooped all over it, but it was clearly a nervous one!

So I cleaned it up, fixed the zip and took him upstairs as I didn’t know what else to do. Then last night we did the same, locked him up and he got out again, only this time I cleaned the kitchen up (as he’d pooped again) but left the crate open and left him in the kitchen, with the extractor fan light on. He stopped after about 40 minutes and the kitchen was spotless this morning when I went down.

I’m hoping he’ll be back to normal soon, but I’m worried about the pooing. We ALWAYS let him out before he goes to bed but he very rarely wants to go number 2 as he’s already been after having his food about 6 pm. So where the bloody hell does it come from?!

Honestly, its hard work at times!

2. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

why do we know best- we are human and have egos, we hate learning we are in the wrong

personally i do not like the way some people treat their dogs but if i am looking after them i always follow their instructions

3. rona

rona Guest

I wonder what the aunt fed him!!!

4. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

He sounded pretty distressed.

5. Horse and Hound

It wasn't my aunt, it was her mate.

She fed him what I gave her to feed him (normal kibble he gets at home).

I just wish she had listened to me. I'm convinced her having him in their room has set him right back.

Also his DAP collar is due replacing so think that might have something to do with it. Ordered a new one to see if it works. :confused1:

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Candy has never agreed to sleep in her crate since she went to stay with her breeder at about 6 months old and was allowed on the bed.
    It is wonderful how months of training can go out the window in a day or so.

7. Horse and Hound

Well I'm not giving in. He is allowed upstairs, during the day, when I tell him. At night he is in the kitchen.

8. leashedForLife

have fun. :)

9. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I'm sorry to hear what a rough time Rupert and you both had!

Talking to people about dog care is similar to talking to people about child care. Everyone thinks they are doing the right things and everyone is very passionate about it. It is very hard to get temporary caregivers to follow your house rules in most cases. ;) This same lady will ply your children full of sugar, buy them things while out shopping and let them stay up too late. :D

The way people behave with kids is usually very similar to how they behave with dogs in my experience. So watch out if you ever bring the kids around for her to babysit! :lol:

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Such a shame, especially as he had settled into the routine you wanted.

I'm afraid I'm a big softy and if he is so distressed, I would have him in with me. :scared: I'm sure that's what the poohing is - hopefully he will settle for you again.

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Yeah! Our rules with Holly is that she's allowed everywhere apart from upstairs (except the bathroom), she's allowed on the sofabed if it's out during the day, however at night time she has to sleep in her crate in the kitchen, or her soft bed by the door, she gets a choice but it has to be one or the other. At my OH's house, she's allowed everywhere apart from his parents bedroom, and must sleep in the kitchen.

It is a shame when all your hard work goes out the window. Our Holly's breeder knows our routine and if we do every board Holly with them, then she will be crated or penned with the others, apart from the male who she doesn't like.

12. Horse and Hound

Well last night we decided there's no point fastening the crate up as he can get out of it now, so I'm going to try to stitch the front of it up and wedge it against a wall tonight, see if that helps.

We had half an hour of whining, crying, scratching at the door. I ignored him and he finally shut up and I dropped off to sleep about midnight.

Woke up at half 5 this morning and he was barking. Now, I'm hoping he had only just started after having woken up. So I went downstairs but was too late. He'd had one wee and one poop. So, again, I'm hoping that was after waking up and because he could get out of his crate he'd gone on the newspaper in the kitchen.

I'm seriously getting upset now. He's 12 weeks so should be settling down alright when we leave him alone. He's fine on walks, fine with other dogs, not other behaviour vices bar this one.

The neighbours aint complained yet. On one side they have a rottweiler anyway, the other say they don't hear him at night as their bedroom is at the front and he's in the kitchen at the back.

The OH last night threatened to take him to the pound. I punched him.

13. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

12 weeks is still very very young, there will probably be alot more set backs in a lot of different areas lol :lol:. Just remember he will get it just be patient, forget the bad times and praise the good :D. Good luck! x

14. Horse and Hound

Seriously hope you are right.

His DAP collar and diffuser run out today, so I've ordered the new ones to arrive this morning. Fingers crossed that might help him settle as it did last time.

I love him to bits, he's a brilliant dog and he's going to be fantastic to train. He sits and walks to heel now, although his recall is non-existant when he's more interested in something else, its just this little hurdle. I can cope with the house accidents, I mean he's a baby, I can't expect him to hold it in if he needs to go when I am at work, but I can't abide the thought of him howling, crying etc.

Its surely only a matter of time before the neighbours get pi**ed!

:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice