Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why do Hamsters want to Jump of the Edge of the World?!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Erzs, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

I've had Pika almost a year now and I have to ask about something that is completely puzzling me!

Why on earth is she so intent on leaping off the edge of everything?! Is she a thrill seeker? Will I catch her doing extreme sports or motorway ironing next?

Or is there something hamster-ish about this? Do your hamsters do this too?!

#1 Erzs, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

hmm cant say any of mine have ever done that but Maisy does have a thing for dangling from the cage roof. will hold to the wires with one or two paws and just hang there for as long as she can, sort of like a hammy endurance test

3. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

Our hammie would do the daredevil climbing thing, we found her is some wierd places in her cage, sat there pleased as punch. She would aslo decide on a direction and keep going, regardless of edges or heights. We would regularly hear the 'plop' off the shelf rather then use the perfectly good ladder. Hence why she got nicknamed "Wundaham" :D

4. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

Lol from what you've both said I think hamsters should have a permanent theme song of "Eye of the Tiger" playing behind them!

5. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

Rhino has been doiing this all day! he is in a huge rat cage, so i have had to hang a giant hammock across the middle like a safety net.

he has a ladder going to his shelf but he still takes leaps of faith off the shelf.

I think he is an adrenalin junkie :cool:

6. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

LMAO! I was singing that at Rhino this afternoon! I think it is constantly playing in his head!

7. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

Thats Hammie base jumping that is :D

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

oh yes.. hamsters have a lemming-like mentality, if it's there it must be jumped off!

wait for him/her to discover how to monkey bar then wait for him to do it get to the centre of the cage, drop off, flip round and land feet first.(or head first when it goes wrong)..then do it several hundred times more in an effort to perfect it... for the rest of it's life....

idiot creatures.. but amusing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice