Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why Do Dogs Howl?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JANICE199, Aug 15, 2009.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Last night Kai freaked me out howling,he stopped once i told him to.Anyone know why he'd do this?:confused:

2. How strange!

My new boys decided about 10min ago to have a howling session! Something i am NOT used to!

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Maybe there is a bitch in season near by... they can smell the scent for quite some distance :eek:

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

im more in shock when maya barks :D she howls all the time, for food, attention, when she is grumpy etc lol

Cobi only howls when he is left on him own while mayas in season or when we all make a howling session lol :smilewinkgrin:

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Doesn't it sound freaky,well it does at 1.30 am. lol:D
    Well my mia has just finished her season so he's a bit late lol.:D
    I can imagin what your dogs must sound like when they all have a sing along. pmsl.Singing:

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

my huskies howl:D particulary Shadow & Inca, Inca does it on command lol
    they rarely bark so they enjoy a good howl:)

some dogs howl when theyre lonely is a way of contacting other dogs, my breed just enjoy it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 noushka05, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  7. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Two of our poms love to howl, but they only do it on command so it's not all the time thankfully, as pom howls are quite screachy and can go through you at times lol.
    I would love to hear a pack of huskies howling I would say it is a eary as listening to wolves.

I would have thought a lone dog would be howling for a number of things, loneliness, a bitch in season, or just because they can. Hope he doens;t start doing it to often especially when it is the early hours of the morning, I know I wouldn't be to impressed LOL.

take care
    Sarah

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Fantastic pics noushka....which christmas carol was your dog singing? lol:D:D

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never heard my dogs howl. When I was a teenager I had my own dog and she wandered and killed a chicken so had to be tied up for a while so she howled. My mother told me that if she ever heard her howl again she would have her put down as it was a sign that she was going mad and she might attack us :mad: It is so scarey how these old wives tales take root. I wonder what the vet would have said if he had been asked to put her down. I was terrified, that dog was my life, I couldnt believe I might lose her but thank goodness she never howled again.

10. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Hi pommum,kai isn't on his own hun,i have mia as well.I was just thankful i was still awake.And i won't be impressed if he starts making a habbit of it,i need my beauty sleep. lol;):D:D

11. noushka05

pmsl she was just singing the chorus to 'o come all ye faithful'!:laugh:

12. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

hahaha pmsl, i bet she's already booked for this christmas then.;):D:D

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

you have a poodle that howls? LOL! Oh dear poor janice. Hope Kai isn't causing you too much trouble.

My boys don't howl, thank god! They bark but they dont howl - if they did i think i'd need really big headphones to cover my eears lol

Maybe Kai has smelt something nearby your home he's not used to?

14. noushka05

Ooo Janice youre giving my ideas now!:idea: i might start hiring her out!:D:D

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

mine howl if they are left alone (they dont together now as far as i know)

And howl and do a woo, wooo sound if excited its cute then, think i'd need new pj's if they did at during the night!

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar has only ever howled when he was waking up after his amputation. I think it was pain related as he carried on until he had more morphine.

Alfie has howled a few times in his sleep, when hes having a dream. Its a very haunting sound.

17. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

A dog's howl is a call to his pack, nothing sinister and nothing to do with mental illness :D Just an extension of his bark. A howl travels further in the wild too and the sound waves bounce off trees etc better and give the dogs a better 'map' to find their way back to the pack. How the dogs know this though is another matter entirely!

Some dogs will howl to sounds that they associate with the 'pack' forming. I remember a TV article years ago that showed a family dog howling to the Eastenders theme tune (don't we all?!?!) - the expert explained that the dog associates this distinctive music with all of the pack/family coming together and gathering as a group. Now whenever that dog hears that music, that's his cue to call the pack together. Very cute actually :)

When I was a kid, I used to have clarinet lessons at home and the dog used to howl in the next room. Very embarrassing, ok, I'm no Akerbilk, but come on!!

JANICE199 likes this.
  18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Erm.....Something else i forgot to tell you :blushing: Howling is a breed trate for the cresties i am afriad! :D :D

Yes apart from our italion spinone and the JRT...ALL of the others howl..Just takes one of them to start and that is it there all at it..As soon as you ask them to be quiet they do..But it amazes me how one just goes off for no reason and the others all join in...:eek: :eek:
    All other cresties owners we know say the same..cresties are VERY well known for the howling

19. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Only Silas howls luckily but he howls really loudly must be the malamute and gsd in him. The others have tried occassionally but it doesn't really work.

20. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

my border terrier x does this,
    but its called singing in their breed for some strange reason :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice