Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why do breeders breed dogs with known disabilities

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Newfies, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Newfies

Newfies PetForums Newbie

why do breeders breed dogs with known parental disabilities, my poor 9 month old newfy is suffering after a TPO for hyp dysplasia and that was on the good hip. Is there nothing that can be done to stop these poor animals being brought into world to suffer this pain and misery?:mad:

2. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

the people that do this are usually in it for the money
    and good decent breeder will not breed from a dog with disabilities.

3. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

There are very unscrupulous breeders out there, thats why it is so important for buyers to educate themselves first before they buy a dog.
    Just as it is the responsibility of the (responsible) breeder to ensure they breed nothing but healthy puppies it is also the responsibility of the buyer to look into what relevant health checks and tests the parents should have had.
    You dont buy a car without looking under the bonnet! :)

4. garryd

garryd Guest

Very good :D:D:D

5. linton

linton PetForums Newbie

It really is a matter of they dont care. My daughter saved up and bought herself a Bull Mastiff pup, it came with an injured eye which the breeder said it had from birth, and being young and stupid my daughter felt sorry for it and came home armed with a pathetic bundle of worm riddled pup. The eye was a result of an injury and had not been treated so had to be removed, her hips are soo bad they are waiting to get to 18 mths and see if she needs the heads taken off both sides and to top it off she is now lame on a front leg and has grinding in the shoulder so that has to now be investigated. Her insurance only goes so far so there is a possibility that in the end due to lack of finance the bitch may have to be pts, we are just crossing our fingers that her ligaments and muscles are going to compensate for the crap hips, however the breeder has been kept up to date with all the results and blow me down she has exactly the same mating litter of pups on the net again. And as for looking under the bonnet my daughter did check that parents were hip scored etc and went and saw both parents etc so she did what she thought was right and still got a bum deal.
    So with all the information my daughter has told her on this pup - why oh why repeat the exact same mating........money......

6. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Linton-

That is extremely sad and I do hope they can do something about it.
    Firstly I would say that if the breeder had both parents hip scored then she obviously done the right thing there by trying to ensure the pups would have good hips too. Perhaps your pup doesnt have hereditory hip displaysia?! The vet will be able to see exactly what is going on when the pup is old enough for the x-rays.
    As for the breeder selling a pup with a damaged eye, it should never have been allowed and she should have been reported to the RSPCA, but this is what I mean by buyers educating themselves. Like you said, your daughter was young and nieve and in my opinion wasnt mature or educated enough to know not to buy that puppy and to report the breeder. She should have taken the pup back but as she didnt theres no point complaining about something you knowingly bought into!

7. Newfies

Newfies PetForums Newbie

Bullbreeds-
    Unfortunately when you look at a car, you can walk away, theres no emotional attachment. I'm sorry but I couldnt walk away even tho the breeder was suspect to say the least, someone was going to have her, i would have just been passing the problem on. Irresponsible breeders should be made accountable, without evidence its very difficult.

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I got to admit I agree with you there, we always tell people it is very hard to just go and view a puppy without bringing the pup home no matter what, we actually advise people that are coming to see our pups that they need to be 110% sure it is what they want before they arrive, and we make sure that they are 150% of a person that we wish to place a puppy with.

9. Newfies

Newfies PetForums Newbie

I have no regrets in buying our puppy, we were going to let her have a litter or two but I wouldn't dream of passing on this condition, so unfortunately she won't be a mum, but its all about money with these people and that makes me sick.

10. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

It is all about money, and it extremely difficult to walk away from a pup who you think needs you, I know lots of people who have bought a pup under these circumstances, but unfortunately while there is a market, they will carry on breeding.

11. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Regardless of any attachment, you chose to buy a pup from who you considered to be 'suspect'!
    If this was the case then what did you expect? You took the risk at the end of the day.
    I can apreciate the attachment side of it and how difficult it must have been to just walk away but this over ruled your better judgement. You said yourself the breeder was suspect so dont complain about something you bought from someone you thought was dodgy!
    Like I stated previously, dodgy breeders should never be allowed to breed and there are plenty of them out there. *This is why the buyers needs to educate themselves*.
    If they choose to buy from someone they think is suspect then they take the risk. If they choose to buy the puppy regardless of their better judgement and because they felt sorry for the puppy then they must deal with the potential problems they face. It was their choice to buy that pup.
    Personally I would do the right thing by reporting the breeder and not buy a pup from this type of person. If I did though then I wouldnt complain about all the problems the pup has later down the line. It would have been my responsibility to check the parents were hip scored/health tested. I wouldnt have just taken the breeders word for it if they claimed this had been done.

1 person likes this.
  12. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I really wish you the best of fortunes with your puppy I have a friend who breeds and shows newfies and I think they are absolutely lovely, in fact my youngest daughter sometimes uses her dogs for the junior handling. Your puppy is lucky to have found you and I know you will do the best you can.
    :)

13. linton

linton PetForums Newbie

Yes I agree the breeders did do the right thing in the first place by having the parents hip scored, but on being told that this particular mating threw a very bad case of HD, they should have used another dog on the bitch to see if it was just this particular mating that is not compatible. I know it is what I would have done, sometimes dogs are not compatible and do throw bad pups you just dont repeat the mating. However it would have meant finding money for a stud....less profit on the pups...

14. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I agree, they should never have taken the risk with a second litter but like you said - stud fee! :(

15. Jonsville

Jonsville PetForums Newbie

Couldnt have said it better thou its a sad post to have to agree with :( under the poor circumstances of the Pups that are sufferering as a result. :( but can i ask when these things occur do any of the new owners of these Pups ever write to the Kennel club and the respective Breed Clubs to report such matters particularly if the Breeders of these Pups are totally unhelpful when they recieve the updates of the pups they have bred and the problems they are suffering from!!! There are codes of conduct to be upheld both with the KC and Breed Clubs

16. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

They should with out doubt contact the Kennel Club/Breed clubs etc..
    Hopefully it would help close those breeders down, but all the time there are buyers out there willing to pay for unhealthy and poorly bred puppies they are allowing the unscrupulous breeders to carry on.

1 person likes this.
  17. Jonsville

Jonsville PetForums Newbie

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Someone gave me bad rep for this!
    Sorry if you dont agree with me but my opinion still stands regardless of petty reputation scores!
    The people that knowingly buy puppies from dodgy breeders are just as much to blame as they are the ones funding those types of breeders!

19. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

not me we ALL have our own opinions on matters of this nature

20. garryd

garryd Guest

Not trying to be funny but disabled people are aloud to have kids ,so whats the diference:confused:
    ???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice