Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why did your dog get its name?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DKDREAM, Jul 4, 2009.

1. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I'll start:

Blaze - Because he has a white blaze on his face and also because the name suits him being a whippet.

Pipkin - Because when we collected him i was in the car looking through his pedigree and saw his great grandfather was called Pipkin and its a lovley name.

2. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Drym got his name because he was the heaviest in his litter and Drum means heavy in welsh and I added the Y because noone else would ever spell it that way lol

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Otto- my Dad was reading out Hungarian boys names to me (he's a Hungarian Vizsla) and as soon as he said "Otto" I just knew it was the right one. Apparently it means Wealthy.

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Barney-Came with that name and nothing else suited

Maya-I had watched eight below that morning and thought she looked like Maya and it suited better than Ice

Bear-His first home named him that and it sounded better than his birth name that I gave him -cough- microwave -cough-

5. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

AJ - from the film armageddon :rolleyes:

6. clueless

clueless Banned

Mine are all named after singers as easy for me to choose a KC name. Pet name singer-KC name- one of Singers song

7. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

Melody - She doesn't shut up. :wink5:
    Charlie - No idea why.

8. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

My two (Toffee and Gypsy) got their names just cos I liked them :D

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dixie- the name just popped into my head as I was carrying her home.

Dave- well after thinking up 8 other nicknames, him being last born I just went 'Dave, that'l do' when we decided we were keeping him, the name was already him :)

x

10. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I kept the names they came with. Hector's racing name is Nine Ball Hector and Throps is Thropster. We were going to change Throps but he just didn't suit any of the names we came up with and it turned out he knew his name well. Most the time he gets called froppychops because he always looks like he's dreaming about eating.

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Indie is Chapelrose Indian Princess, and boy does she think she's royalty!!

Tau is Chapelrose Lala Tau, Setswana for Sleeping Lion (I lived in Botswana for a couple of years).

I got to choose their pedigree names, and just liked the idea of incorporating the pet name I wanted to use.

12. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Bramble is named after Wilfred Brambell from Steptoe and Son!! We watched an episode after we got permission from the landlord to keep a dog and Bramble just stuck.

13. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

chase: i always wanted to call my 1st dog chase as it's a cool dogs name!

Brody: (choc lab X) it originates from an irish word meaning muddy land and because he was brown it suited.

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Owen; named after Micheal Owen who at the time was my sons hero

Bandit; came with that name

Tegan; I just saw the nme some were and liked it and said if we had a bitch she would be called Tegan

Jasper; He is mostly white and was going to be call Casper as in the friendly ghost but it didn't siut him so changed it to Jasper.

Freyja ; Like Bandit she came with the name

Angel; Named by OH as soon as she was born generally has not written after it. She is the most unapptopraitely named dog ever should have been Demon /Devil

Amber; She is fawn so it suited her

Simba; He prowled around like a lion cub when he was tiny.

Holly; As she was a christmas present we wanted a christmasy name but already had an Angel

Archie; His KC name is The Archer as he is a sagatarius

William; greyhound came to us as Willie needs no further explanation:001_tt2:

Button; racing greyhound her racing name is Bodell Button so her name is part of that. She was also called that when we had her but she didn't answer to it.

Zoe; irish setter OH always said he wanted an irish red head called Zoe

2hounds I've just looked at your greys on the greyhound data sight. They share the same grandad as Button Top Honcho is her grandsire too

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Floss because her mother was Lolly with a docked tail and she is Candy Floss with a long tail. (a young daughter thought these the obvious names) Then Candy is Candy to go with Floss even though Floss's registered name is Candy Floss.

16. Not all dogs (well actually only one is)

Billy... i wanted a proper name for him but he was such a silly billy... it stuck!

Sheba - she acts like the queen of sheba

Colin - female cat named by my daughter pmsl!

Luna - came to me with the name already - and it really suits

My folks dogs... Jack - was jojo when he came to them as a rescue, they wanted to change it but to something not too different.

Benn: after tony benn i think - were going back to 1983 here! i was 3 so dont really remember lol!

Harry - well i'm called Sally and when we met he was making these funny groaning noises to get out and give me a cuddle

Charlie - well charlie is harrys litter mate and the names went together. Plus charlie is a bit dense, so he's always making a right charlie of himself!

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sky - I choose her breed so the OH insisted on naming her :rolleyes:

18. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Bess - Because i was studying the poem of black bess in school, and Bess is black so it sruck, she firts csame with the name gwen :eek:

Chester - My dad really liked it, I wanted Charlie

Bonnie - Because she is from Scotland so is a 'Bonnie lass' through and through

Penny - We were watching James Bond at the time...Money Penny

Nelly - She just goofed around and looked like a Nelly

Tess - Her KC name is Mallowdale Tessa

Lenny - After dad favourite band Lynyrd skynyrd, dont ask the resembalance
    All the others are just random!

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar - Had been named Woody by my tutor who initially rescued and treated him, but i had a rat called Woody already. After a few days i realised what a little grouch he was, so named him Oscar The Grouch from Sesame Street.

Alfie - I wanted name no one else had. And in the 7 years i worked in boarding kennels, id never heard of a dog called Alfie. Now its a "trendy" name :(
    Orginally his breeders had named him Dillon. Yuck.

20. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how Misty got her name. I suppose because she's a white dog and mist is white lol!

I'm not sure about Molly either. I just think it suited her at the time because it's cute and so is she :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice