Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Why did you chose that name?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ChaosCat, Feb 4, 2018.

1. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Always being very curious about why people chose names- be it for their offspring or their pets- I would like to ask you about the reason for your choice of names.

With my little girls the naming took place after they had been with us for a couple of days.
    They are VERY active, I might even say acting wild. :D

They love playing rough games, more like tomkitten games.

So they were named after Anne Bonny, the piratess who dressed up as a man:
    Annie and Bonny

And they still deserve their wild piratess‘ names, fun loving, rough playing activity monsters that they are.

It’s funny, I always thought I‘m not a daughters‘ mum and was glad my kids are boys. Was always afraid if I got daughters they would be pink princesses- just to be contrary. All my pets before were male, too. And then the rescue centre had these two female kittens just ready for rehoming when I looked about adopting.
    And they are just the tomboys I would have wished for had I got daughters.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

Albert (Bertie to his friends) was already so named when I adopted him from the rescue centre - I did think about changing his name but thought that, as he's 8, he might find it a bit confusing to be given another name !

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

When I was a little girl, I used to have a comic called Bunty. I always wanted to call any girl cat Bunty but I ended up calling my other previous girls Rosebud (Rosie for short) which came from the film Citizen Kane and Maisie which just came into my head and seemed to suit that particular cat. For a very short while, we also had a cat called Twiggy, a name she came with and I liked.

When we got Bunty, she was called Mia which my OH liked so, for a few weeks we stuck with that, but I just wasn't happy with it and it was a reminder of her days in rescue as she was a stray so the name would have been given to her by the rescue centre. She also didn't answer to it so I took that to mean she didn't like it either. Mia conjours up a really feminine cat to me and, as we got to see her character emerge, it was obvious she was more of a tomboy. So, I decided she would be my Bunty.

When Toppy arrived six months later, he was called Ginge which was very unoriginal. He had had a previous owner so that was her name for him and I wanted him to have a new life, new name. His official name is Topper which was a name which popped into my head one day and it wasn't until some time later that I learnt Topper was also the name of a comic which is a weird coincidence. Almost from day one though we called him Toppy.

Joy84, Betty6691, ewelsh and 11 others like this.
  4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

My OH came up with Biggles. I had been going around with different names and he mentioned a name from a book he read as part of his MBA course. I think it was called The Philosophy of Biggles. It was about a World War Two pilot.

We then decided he needed a first name, as I had been calling him Mr. Biggles not just Biggles and Henry was a name I had already considered, so he became Mr. Henry Biggles.

49F313EC-CE85-4A23-A4F9-C3D8FB11F3E9.jpeg

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I wanted a blue MC and my son had been as school with a girl called Blue. She was a classic very pretty popular bright girl so the name was there before the kitten.

Ivan was originally called Isis. This was given to him by his original lady owner . He was made homeless with another cat when she went into a home. I wanted to change the name and thought Isis was a female Egyptian god.

Anyway I went for a similar name and know an Ivan who is very dark and handsome so the name fitted and stuck x

Joy84, Betty6691, ewelsh and 12 others like this.
  6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Biggles was on our shortlist for Toppy. :)

Joy84, ewelsh, bluecordelia and 4 others like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko's name comes from Disney's Pocahontas . Its the raccoon.................

[​IMG]

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Ben and Jerry were nearly Tom and Jerry, but Ben is not a Tom. We were eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream when Ben came over and nicked some off the spoon, so Ben he became!

Zelda came named and we liked it so it stuck.

Rufus looked like a Rufus right from the very beginning, but I also loved the name Onyx. So his pet name is Rufus and his pedigree is Onyxmiracle - the miracle being that he was born dead and his breeder spent the longest time reviving him. No one thought he would make it and he became the biggest in the litter.

Annabelle looked like an Annabelle from about 3 weeks old, and I wanted to give her a very doll-like name as she looked so pretty, dainty and girly as a kitten. Since she's developed she's gone rather more butch and is the image of her daddy, so her name is now more ironic than anything else.

Joy84, Betty6691, ewelsh and 10 others like this.
  9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Liddy was abandoned in a shopping trolley outside Lidl my friend who rescued her called her Liddy I was going to change it it Libby but left it as it seemed to suit her.

10. Pavonine

Pavonine PetForums Senior

I had picked the name Margot before even going to the rescue centre, just because I liked the name. When I brought her home I considered for a few days whether she suited it, but it suits her perfectly now I’ve got to know her personality.
    When I got Meg, I had no idea what to call her. I showed the pictures I took at the rescue to a lot of people and asked for suggestions but nothing seemed right. I considered calling her Jelly for a bit, but thought it might make her seem like the “special” one to not have a person name. My cousin was determined that her name should begin with M to go with Margot, and she eventually suggested Meg which was perfect. Turns out she’s a bit crazy so Jelly probably would have been a good fit, but she just seems like a Meg to me.

Joy84, ewelsh, bluecordelia and 10 others like this.
  11. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Isis is also the name of the river which flows through Oxford. Mind you everyone else in the world calls it the Thames! Maybe his original owner named him for the river?

Anyway Brooke was called that at the shelter, she responds to it (when she feels like it!) so I kept it. Must admit I wasn't keen on renaming her anyway - makes her seem more my possession than my companion.

Joy84, ewelsh, lymorelynn and 8 others like this.
  12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

@Shrike Ivan came from St Helens so might have been Mersey! X

Joy84, ewelsh, lymorelynn and 2 others like this.
  13. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Huck’s real name is Adsetlo Braveheart which I quite like but couldn’t get used to calling him Adsetlo. I loved the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s and always wanted to call a cat “Cat” but OH didn’t like it. So I went for Huclkeberry because of the line of the song Audrey Hepburn sings in Moon River - my Huckleberry friend - Huck is my best friend.

Holly followed as Holly Golightly Audrey Hepburn’s character from the same film.

Grace was going to be Ophelia (from the famous pre raphaelite painting by Millais) but the name had already been taken so I chose Miss Grace Kelly because she was stunning as far as a Maine Coon goes. I’m not sure the name really suits her so Graciepops or Popadops or Poppins would probably have been a better choice - she pops up wherever you are with a happy chirp and a smile.

Little H is Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. He suits the look. But he’s a big baby still so Little H is perfect. Couldn’t call him Heath or Cliff :eek:

Joy84, ewelsh, LJC675 and 10 others like this.
  14. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

Bilbo was because I love the hobbit and lord of the rings movie, Bilbo just seemed to fit a british Shorthair perfectly! Bilbo is a real hobbit... Short, fat, greedy and hairy feet!

Django was named after the main character in the film django unchained, a fab film and the character is so cool and suave I had to have it!

Harley is named after Batman’s nemesis the jokers girlfriend, Harley Quinn. The name suits her perfectly, mischievous, naughty and plotting evil all the time!!

15. Saffi was sapphire her whole life, I re-homed her when she was 5 years old so I didn’t want to change her name too much, I liked Saffi and she responded to it - the spelling was something I thought about for ages lol. Saffi means wise in Greek and I liked the meaning. I probably would have called her something else if I got her as a kitten, but I like Saffi and can’t imagine her as anything else.

Mojo was supposed to be Ron Weasley! (Just Ron for short ha) but when I met him, ‘Mo’ kept popping into my head! So I had to name him something starting with mo. I went with Mojo, as it just seemed to fit him so well, he is just such a mojo, and I can’t even explain why! I sometimes call him momo which means dumpling, and I like that. (He does also suit Ron Weasley very much too, but I try not to have regrets about his name..!)

ETA I love both their pedigree names so I’l pop that in here too :D Saffi’s pedigree name is chasing waterfalls, and Mojo’s is breakfast at tiffanies - so they both have their own special tunes too which I play regularly enough :Cat:Singing

Joy84, ewelsh, lymorelynn and 8 others like this.
  16. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Mario was named by my eldest younger step brother, as he was into the Mario games at the time. We also had his littermate brother who was named Buzz (Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story) by my youngest step brother however he isn't with us anymore as he died on the road.

Joy84, ewelsh, bluecordelia and 6 others like this.
  17. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

As Arthur's a red colourpoint I thought he needs to be named after one of the Weasley's from Harry Potter. I love HP! I decided on Arthur quite easily actually, at the time I didn't know much about cats but I knew he'd do what he likes so he had to be name after the head of the Weasley's! To be fair cat Arthur doesn't do a bad job of protecting his family either, he likes to go and stare at the front door when someone knocks to make sure they're trying not to get in :rolleyes:

Joy84, ewelsh, bluecordelia and 9 others like this.
  18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I don't 'choose' their names. They tell me what their names are. Sometimes the knowledge comes instantly, when our eyes meet for the first time. Sometimes I'm a little slow and it takes a week or so.

TriTri, Joy84, Elaine b37 and 8 others like this.
  19. I love lidl! I love the meaning behind liddy’s name :D

Oh I didn’t realise Arthur was Arthur Weasley, he suits it SO much!

20. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I do the same, the only exception being Zelda but her name suits her so much - she is as princessey as her namesake!

Joy84, ewelsh, bluecordelia and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice