Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why did I never get a puppy sooner!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by debee78, Mar 8, 2017.

1. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

Had my chi puppy almost 3 weeks now, and yes admittedly it's been a hard 3 week but also the best, we all really love her and she's doing absolutely brilliantly, all training is going well, she's a clever little thing, just need her to put on a little more weight as we can't microchip her yet as she's too small, she currently weighs 730g!!!
    she's had her final jab yesterday so we will soon be able to take her out....if I can find a collar to fit her! anyone else know where I can find a tiny dog collar, tried lots of places, all too big!

#1 debee78, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

A cat collar? But a harness might be better.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

I have a kitten collar on her at the moment but they are all the safety type ones that clip apart easy, so not really suitable for walking, I was also thinking of a harness but after speaking to my vet yesterday he has advised a collar

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

I'd definitely recommend a harness over a collar for such a tiny dog. Thoughts of a disturbingly fragile neck..... did the vet say why he'd advise a collar instead??

You can get mini microchips which can be used for rabbits etc, so should in theory be fine for even mini mini pupsters. (Is it not the law nowadays for breeders to chip before rehoming?)

MontyMaude, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm not sure why. A harness is less likely to hurt her windpipe. I'm not suggesting instead of a collar but as well as one.

Also, you can (and should) take her out sooner as long as she doesn't encounter unvaccinated dogs or areas that could be contaminated. Take her in your arms or ideally in a pet carrier where she is safe but can experience the big world.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Wish I'd known that 6 years ago :(

7. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Did the vet give a reason for recommending a collar rather than a harness? I'm not very experienced in dogs, but I definitely think a harness is safer for such a tiny dog, especially if you have children. No matter how gentle and careful they are, a child's coordination and a lively puppy is bound to result in a few sudden tugs on the lead, which could cause injury.

MontyMaude and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

What about a rabbit harness?

9. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

Can't remember the exact reason but he said he would always advise a collar for dogs rather than a harness, something to do with the dog having more control in a harness??

10. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

and re micro chipping, yes they are supposed to be done by 8 week legally but she was very tiny then and I told the breeder I'd rather have everything done together at my own vets, the vet said I did the right thing as the needle is very big and she's so tiny it would really hurt her, I've to go back in 4 week to see if she's put enough weight on to make it easier for her.

11. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Legally the breeder is the one supposed to microchip the puppies not the new owner, but as the whole system appears not to be policed at all I don't suppose it matters one bit when your pup is chipped.

debee78 likes this.
  12. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

I can see his point with a rottie but honestly, he's worried about your dog taking control? I think - in the nicest possible way - he was having a head-fart!:p

13. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

Haha I know, he said it's not about her pulling me and stuff because obviously that's not going to happen, more for her to know whose in charge.

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

absolute bollocks
    please give him a smack in the face :)

First of all, dogs dont want to be in charge. Thats not a thing.
    Secondly... even if it was, a harness or collar, or anything else, is not going to affect the dog in that way, thats completely ridiculous.
    Thirdly, you should train dogs, not rely solely on tools and equipment. I'd sooner have a pulling dog than one with severe neck damage.
    and lastly........ take any training advice your vet may offer hence forth with a huge pinch of salt.

#14 BlueJay, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    LinznMilly, rockdot, Spidei and 7 others like this.
  15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Def go with a harness, much safer for a delicate little dog like a Chi. Also the idea is you teach them to walk to heel or on a loose lead...not control them with a collar or harness! Kitten, rabbit or ferret harnesses all work pretty well for teeny dogs.
    I actually waited with my littlest Chi until she was neutered to get her microchipped (at least she didnt feel it that way). Congrats on your new baby though, Chi's are amazing dogs.....soooo much personality in such a small package!LOL:D

debee78 likes this.
  16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I wish I had done that. It was legal to do so then and it would have been less stressful for the dog.

debee78 likes this.
  17. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I would also go with a harness for a tiny dog not sure your vet knows what he is talking about

Aahlly and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

Now I was harness all the but when he said that it confused me, it's really confusing having a puppy sometimes, I think I'm personally more inclined to the harness though, and I totally never even thought about a rabbit one! trip back to the pet shop tomorrow! ty
    I think the vet was probably just putting his preference on to me, but I do think this comes down to personal choice and what we all feel is best for our dogs

19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I doubt you are going to be struggling to gain control of your dog, given it's size! :D

I'd be more inclined to advise owners of tiny dogs not to be tempted to allow certain "cute" behaviours that soon turn in "nuisance" behaviours when the puppy phase wears off! ;)

Ceiling Kitty and MontyMaude like this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Oh perlease! Your vet is a numpty! ;)

MontyMaude and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice