UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I came across an ad on gumtree and it is 'whippet pups for sale' and it mentions in it, that the pups have been declawed. I do not understand why that would be done?

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
Think you need to read it again it says Dewclawed ;)

I'm not sure if they mean they have thier dew claws or not, if not IMO having dew claws removed is not a bad thing. I have had Maya tear hers so often it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
De-clawing puppies is normally to stop them from ripping them off when they're older.

My moms bitch runs around like nuts in the park and occassionally slips and breaks hers off. She probably wouldnt have this problem if she didn't run around so fast lol.

Stacey xxx

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm not sure if they mean they have thier dew claws or not, if not IMO having dew claws removed is not a bad thing. I have had Maya tear hers so often it drives me crazy.
lol!! i really need glasses :eek: oops :rolleyes:

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
i think it depends on the breed, theyre usually left on in huskies

unless they have them on the hind legs, they remove these theyre usually not very well attached here anyway

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That is the claw that is like the heal part? my parents collie's ones might be getting removed, they do not seem to be causing him trouble really, but its like they have been caught on something.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That is the claw that is like the heal part? my parents collie's ones might be getting removed, they do not seem to be causing him trouble really, but its like they have been caught on something.
Yeah, sometimes they can get caught on things and it can be better to have them removed.

And I agree, Huskies tend to keep theirs. Our little girl has her dew claws still and we haven't had a problem with them, yet.

Stacey xxx

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
Barney has had his removed, although this was done before I ever had him and he still has the scars. Maya and Bear still have thiers but nether cause any real hassle, maya's break off allot and it's a pain because they bleed allover the place but they never break really bad.

My neighbors have a sall jack russel mix and his hind claws creep me out, they are so wobbly it's crazy but even though I told them he needed them removed as they are dangerous like that, the vet said they was fine.

I met a springer in the vets once who'd ripped his and taken part of the skin from his legs off, ugh it was a gruesome sight, poor guy.

G

·
As others have said! it will be the dew claws that have been removed! these are the claws that are not on the paw but up the leg! when caught these can cause damage, and imo are best removed
DT

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone x

·
Registered
772 Posts
We always remove the dewclaws on ours as when they are caught they can be very painful for the dog and can take a long time to heal. I have 2 dogs with them and 1 without because she was bred in Germany and you are not allowed to remove them there or in many other European countries.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
We have had 3 springers and the only ones that have been dewclawed are the ones that have had tails docked as they do them at the same time. The one that hasnt has had no trouble for a while bur a few years ago ripped one quite often, they bleed a lot and are very painfull the vet at one time said that if it happened much more then it would be better to have them removed but as a very young pup its a very simple thing to do but when the bone has actually grown its an amputation a little like us having our thumb taken off, so i would say depending on the breed or activity they are best without them as there is aparently no need for them.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I like to remove the rear dew claws front ones usually aren't as dangely (sp)....Jill

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
some breeds such as the pyranean moutain dog have a double dewclaw ours didnt have them removed, think they are suposed to make them better at going up and down mountains, our dog was rubbish tho. then again he was rubbish at everything. they were just useless bits of skin with a claw and some fur.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The dew claw is the thumb on the front n big toe on the back feet.
I am guessing that most potential whippet owners would appreciate them not being their as whippets being whippets love to run around and have very fine skin which if caught tears quite easily. Also most whippets/greyhounds are quite sensative about their feet and anything slightly painful!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone :)

I can see why it would be a good idea.
I had read the ad wrong firstly, so i am glad everyone read on through the thread before replying lol.

x

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Its not just whippets most running breeds have their dewclaws removed. Its for safety. They can easily be ripped of when the dog is running and cause a lot of damage. They are removed at 3 days old by a vet. My vet gives them a mild pain killer but my pups have always slept though havng it done.

My ex racing greyhound still has her dew claws and I worry when she is running and playing. When we take her lurcher racing I do sometimes put vet wrap on them to stop her catching them.

My setter still has her dew claws and to be honest I wish she had had them removed when she was tiny as they are a menace to cut as they are hidden in her feathers.

·
Registered
20,329 Posts
I have been told that vet students are no longer taught to remove dewclaws as it is not common practice any more and is frowned on. My pup has hers even though she is a poodle and they will get in the way when her feet are clipped because the vet apparently refused to remove them. I persuaded the vet to remove them on the litter I bred 11 years ago and even then had trouble getting him to do it and then he did such a bad job they might as well have been left on. It is even harder for clipping than if there were full dewclaws there.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Out of 4 litters that I have bred 2 have been done by my vet and 2 by his locum. The 2 litters that the locums have done have both contained pups that have had their dew claws grow back. Simba had a claw grow in a very tight curl against his leg so tight I couldn't cut it he had it removed just after cristmas. Jude had a claw grow straight out of her leg no pad just a claw. On her other leg she had a lump were the claw should be. She had them removed when she was spayed a few weeks ago. Out of a litter on 9 I think 5 had dewclaws grow back after they had gone to their new homes. I was not happy as I had paid for tis to be done and it wasn't done properly. I didn't pay for Simba to have his claw removed.

Its not illegal to remove dewclaws and a lot of people do it themselves. I would never dare do them myself

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.