Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why can't people recognise fear?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Prowl, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Do you find that people ignore the signs of a frightened dog?

In my experience I have yet to come across one owner who can recognise fear. Its so obvious when a dog is frightened I just don't get why people can't see it.

If you said your dog is frightened of strangers, they just think their going to be the first smart arse to befriend your dog its really annoying especially when you own a shy dog who does not like to be approached by most people.

2. loukodi

loukodi PetForums Senior

That exactly, one of mine hates strangers I always tell them to keep their distance and let him come to you, and whatever you do, do not lean over his head. Of course being his owner you know nothing...
    The amount of times I have had to intervene and tell them again and again. Even to the point of physically holding one persons shoulder to keep them standing upright. :mad:

3. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

I recognise it like in the area I moved to last year there is a Beardie it was quite obvious she is fearful from her body language I used to talk to the owner at a distance with my dogs, now she and her owner can walk by on the same side of the road as me without having to cross over, when she is off lead she will come over to see my old dog, although she wont go near the CPs yet, perseverance, repetition, familiarity and time have helped her overcome this.

4. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

Unless your a dog owner or had contact with a dog that has fear issues not many people can pick it up or are just unable to understand that mans best friend can actually be scared of man for what ever reason:(

loukodi likes this.
  5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Because some times signs are so subtle ..most people wouldn't spot them, and as said if you have never had a fearful dog, most have never bothered to find out what the signs are.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have been around dogs all my life, but it wasn't until I got Jack that I identified certain body language that denotes that he is uncomfortable with certain things.

Because he was a rescue and I did not know his past, nor could I predict in any way what his reaction would be to any given thing I did a bit of research and it was interesting to see just how subtle the signs are.

There are of course obvious ones, i.e. tail between legs, but the fixed eye, lip licking and shallow yawning were certainly things that I was unaware of before. (Remember the youtube film of the toddler bouncing up and down on the rottweiller? :eek: :mad:)

Recognising these has enabled us to all to get to know each other and Jack is certainly much more relaxed in every way now. He had a less than perfect past I'm sure, so had a few little worries himself.

I do think it is a good idea for every dog owner to be made aware of these signs. There would be far less unhappy dogs and far fewer "incidents" between them and humans.

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

It may be obvious to those who do know the signs, it's FAR from obvious to those who don't. The sheer number of people who think a certain tv showman with very white teeth is god is proof of that.

8. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

I learned the hard way to look for the signs of fear :eek:

I worked at a boarding kennels and loved this golden retriever bitch. Got on well with her.

Well after a thunderstorm in the night she was terribly frightened. But me being me didn't register that and she snapped at me when I went to put a lead on her. I tried then to coax her to me but the damage was done then. I had to get some other kennel hand to comfort her instead. She was ok with her because she took her time.

It took a bit of time after that to gain her trust :(

I could still kick myself :mad: But now I know the signs. :mad2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice