Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why can't people control there dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Apollo2012, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Sorry this is a bit of a rant. so there are a lot of tourists around at the moment and as the majority seem to be a bit dim and try to touch Apollo (apparently 'because he's cute') even though he wears a muzzle which is kind of a universal sign not to touch (at least as far as im concerned), he isn't aggressive just fearful and he will bark if a strange adult tries to interact with him, he is happy to ignore people otherwise. because of the holidays his proper long walk on the beach is now around 10pm every evening until it gets colder and there are less people about. but the last couple of weeks there seems to be an array of idiotic dog owners. Im very careful to not let Apollo off lead when we go for our walk on the beach unless there is no one around as he loves other dogs and can get very excited and become impossible to recall down the beach f there are a lot of dogs about.

Anyway in the last two weeks we've come across probably about 4 other dog owners down the beach when we go down. 2 out of those 4 had aggressive dogs off lead and all 4 dogs approached Apollo and the owners did nothing to stop them eventhough they could obviously see he was on lead and had a muzzle on, I know he's dog friendly but the other owners don't know that, it's driving me mad especially the fact it's late at night when you would expect to come across dogs with 'social' problems. on top of that the 2 aggressive dogs, first one was a rottie, now Apollo loves rotties but this one was horrible and actually physically followed Apollo while he was on his lead, it was growling at him and eventually went for him, Apollo defended himself despite his muzzle and the dog backed off, it wasn't wearing a collar or lead, the owner took no notice was too busy talking to his friend and actually had the nerve to laugh at his dog going for mine, I couldn't confront him as it would've wound Apollo up (he's very sensitive to how im feeling). the second was tonight im not sure on breed looked like a springer but with wire hair, its owner obviously had no control, Apollo was off lead when they came on the beach but as soon as I noticed I put him on his lead and I know the owner watched me do it as he put one of his dogs on the lead the other he just let come running up to Apollo and once again the bloody thing was growling at him following him around, I got sick of it after about a minute or so as the owner just kept walking 'calling' the dog (it wasn't listening) and said 'enough' in a stern voice and pulled Apollo away blocking the other dog from him.

sorry im ranting but I go for walks late so we can both have some peace and quiet and im so sick of irresponsible owners that cant control their dogs, I know no dogs or owners perfect but owners can at least attempt to control their dogs, luckily my boy is a very forgiving dog and despite the amount of dogs he's had come up and try to start fights with him he will just stand there and do nothing unless they really go for him then he will only defend himself and then walk away.

*Sorry also just realised I spelt THEIR wrong in the title and probably a couple more times, that's what I get for ranting at midnight lol

#1 Apollo2012, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. LolaPup2013

LolaPup2013 PetForums Member

I would be absolutely mortified if my dog went running up and harrassing another dog, never mind if she was growling at them, let alone walk off and leave them too it. Jeeez some people have no common decency or manners and are clearly not realising what there dogs nature is like.

Well done you for your respect to people and knowing your dogs recall is off and such when hes playing etc. Shame not every other owner is so considerate.

3. ItsonlyChris

ItsonlyChris PetForums Senior

It's stupid when people with aggressive dogs let them off the lead around other dogs.

My grandmothers husband has turned a tree branch into a walking stick incase any aggressive dogs go for their dog.

I understand your frustration though, even though it hasn't happened to us yet :)

4. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

Ooops..Reilly had a phase of being 'Uncontrollable' and tormenting other dogs, I think it was a mixture of coming into season and adolescence, but with the help of other doggie friends and my dog trainer we got her out of it and she is very respectful now.
    So I am kind of sympathetic when I can see a dog/puppy owner doing their best to get them back on command.
    But its the ones that think its cute , or are convinced their dog wants to be friends, when, One staffie in particular, will not stop sniffing at Reillys bum, and she hates that, so she will growl at him and he starts getting aggressive with her, I have told the owner she doesn't like it,but he is an old man and thinks his dog is being friendly 'he fancies her', is his words every bloomin' time, so now if I spot them, I have to put poor Reilly on a lead and try to shoo him away..... and the dog...Hahaha...
    But please, why don't people take the hint!

5. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

See I know Apollo can be really annoying and pester other dogs to play especially down the beach, hence why he gets put on his lead when theres other dogs around now. There quite a few owners here that have very rude and aggresive dogs that have them off lead all the time and always tell me their dogs friendly when it obviously isn't. I will say nighttime walkers seem to be the worst and early morning walkers are the most considerate

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I think it is great that you know your limitations with your dog, understand you do not have full control and thus choose to keep your dog on a lead.

Shame others do not follow suit.

7. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

It could be:

a) they don't want to train there dogs
    b) they don't have the skill to train their dogs
    c) they don't believe dogs need training
    d) all of the above

8. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

Some people just don't have a clue. There's a lot of tourists here too at the moment and the beaches are full of out of control dogs. Drives us crazy.

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We had it this morning too I was walking 4 of the chihuahuas all together and just going off the path and back onto the main road. I saw a woman walking down but what I didn't expect was for a dog to be running loose down the mian road staright up to my littlies who started barking as it was jumping in their faces and winding them up.

The woman looked shocked and said ooh they aren't very friendly she did call the dog away and it did follow her but come on what if I'd have been on the other side of the road and the dog had run infront of a car to get to mine. The dog wasn't being nasty it was just over friendly and bouncy well the little ones don't like that and will bark at the other dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice