Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why are some people so cruel?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Apr 26, 2017.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

What makes a young man do this to an animal? I haven't watched the video as I know it will upset me too much and I've read some pretty horrible reports of what he did elsewhere :mad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-39718723

For those who don't want to click the link

A farmhand who admitted kicking and punching cows and calves at a Somerset farm has been sentenced.

Owen Nichol, of Buckland Road, Taunton, was given a 12-week prison sentence, suspended for one year, at Taunton Magistrates' Court.

The 18-year-old was also banned from keeping or working with animals for two years.

His actions were filmed by the campaign group Animal Equality at Pyrland Farm in Taunton last December.

Chairman of the magistrates Dr Peter Reed told Nichol his behaviour was "absolutely unacceptable".

The RSPCA launched an investigation after being shown the footage.

The farm's owner said he was appalled when he saw it and the worker had since been dismissed.

Nichol pleaded guilty to the charges under the Animal Welfare Act at a hearing earlier this month.

I just don't understand why anyone would take pleasure from doing this.

MrsZee, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  2. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

That's absolutely terrible.

The punishment is a joke, 12 week prison sentence suspended for 1 year and banned from keeping or working with animals for two years. That isn't justice. :mad:

3. Canarie

Canarie PetForums Member

I read this article in the paper today.Not sure what horrified me more,the extremely lenient sentence given or the horror that these animals had to suffer.
    What I don't understand is if this farm had been monitored as this boy was suspected of doing this why this vile act was not stopped sooner.The boy had a history and yet the farmer still,hired him?Clearly did not do thorough checks...
    Desperately sad.........

Canarie.

4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Don't make the mistake of looking at some of the newspaper reports of this case as they include some pretty graphic/distressing and utterly foul images. The sentence is beyond pathetic.

5. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

It's such a pity Corporal Punishment was abolished.

It should have been reserved for individuals such as this specimen, just so that they could be more acquainted with the pain and discomfort they once inflicted upon their helpless victims.

6. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Haven't watched the video (And dont plan on) but it always makes me laugh (Or should that be cry?) when I see the pathetic sentences they hand down for animal cruelty. E.g in this case banned from keeping or working with animals for two years.

There are two major things wrong with this. There is NOTHING stopping this guy going and working with animals again or purchasing his own.

The second thing is why do judges believe that after two years this guy won't be cruel again to animals? Like is there a time limit to being cruel? Bit of an extreme comparison I will admit, but its a bit like saying that a pedophile is OK to be around children after two years, after abusing a child.

IMO someone who is downright cruel to an animal, and I am talking here about this guy and others who do hurt animals deliberately, they are likely to do it again. Its something that runs deep inside there mind/personality and not something that occurs on a whim.

The UK "a nation of animals lovers". pfffff..... Try telling that to the animals that are in the eyes of the law, nothing but property.

/rant over.

7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:( Thank goodness for the organisations that go undercover in all areas and stop this cruelty .
    Not just farms but in slaughter houses etc shocking cruelty happens.

8. Lurch-er

Lurch-er PetForums Member

Wonder how hard he'd be if he was in that cattle crush,and some yob was giving him a good hiding

Custard Mite likes this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Joke of a sentence. And I read elsewhere that this little creep has a herd of sheep...and I bet he keeps them. If he does ever work with animals again, it should be strictly under supervision, but it won't be.

10. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

1 caught

how many arent caught?

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  11. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I couldn´t watch it either. But I agree with others - he should never be able to have pets any more and should have been in prison for a few years.

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I remember some owner mistakenly giving her cat (?paracetomol?...not sure) and it died. Sure her sentence was similar to this one. She thought it was safe to use. OK, foolish of course, but nothing like this little schyster deliberately inflicting pain and fear into a tiny baby. He needs a good hiding then thrown head-first into a muck heap.

rottiepointerhouse and Babyshoes like this.
  13. Custard Mite

Custard Mite PetForums Junior

No, I couldn't face watching it either. I'm just so unutterably sick and tired of this kind of abhorrent ( and quite frankly dangerous if the courts would actually bother to address the obvious psychological problems that the 'people' who perpetrate these kind of sickening crimes against helpless beings clearly have) behaviour being treated by our legal system as nothing more serious than stealing a packet of chewing gum from a bl**dy supermarket!:Rage:Punch

Calvine and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice