Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why are people so surprised? (toilet training)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Buggles, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Every day there are new threads asking about toilet training and most of them are tiny puppies and the people seem SO surprised that their puppy wee'd or poo'd in the house. Seriously, WHY are you surprised?? These little puppies are babies and have little or no control over their bladder/bowel.

Sorry just had to get that out as it's so annoying reading over and over "omg! my 8 week old puppy poo'd in the house!"

1 person likes this.
  2. rona

rona Guest

I often think the same :confused::(

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i feel the same way buggles. I mean these babies are what they are BABIES! I mean you wouldn't expect one year old child to get potty training so quickly now would you? its crazy

4. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Im picking up my puppy on Sunday and Im getting sick of people telling me about the accidents it will have!! I know this already people lol...Im fully trained on the poop in the house after living with a house bun for 10 years :D

5. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Yes exactly. I always used to inform people that their pup had only been alive outside of the womb for X amount of weeks! It's a shame people aren't so fired up about toilet training children nowadays! It appears that schools are now having to cope with more and more youngsters who are not even potty trained proply by the time they go to school!

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive thought the same many times people do really expect too much, i would love to have loaned molly, she would have made any pup look good she has been a nightmare, she is 12months and i still dont trust to no accidents even now.

Also people have said (not on the forum) i have brought it on myself :rolleyes: as i ignore her when she does or did it and just patiently popped her outside and she needs shouting at and teaching,god knows how she would have been if i had scolded her.
    she's our 3rd pup of the same breed and i did the same with the others and they were very quick at catching on to it, so i know its not me, it was just molly, they cant all be good at everything bless her:D

We have to watch her still, she is very good now in comparison.:)

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I have to agree :( They other one is when they think their puppy playbiting is aggressive. :rolleyes:

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I agree both questions drive me round the bend!

9. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

im sure those questions come from very first dog owners who never had a puppy before.... sounds like a silly question to others where for those asking they really dont know better and just look for advice :D U learn alot by experience and im sure most of them wont ask those questions with the next puppy anymore :smilewinkgrin:

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I think your right:)

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

The play biting i can understand Natik but the toilet training? I understand these are new dog owners but seriously a 8 week tiny puppy? Seriously? Seriously?

Its a baby!

12. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

no, its a dog...not a baby :D ;)

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I'm sure you're right, but getting a puppy/dog is a huge, longterm commitment and not a decision to be taken lightly. Don't you think they'd learn a little about what it entails before taking on such a commitment?

14. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

It's a baby dog, therefore it's a baby.

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

of course... but toilet training is just a part of the ownership and not to have researched what amounts of poo a puppy does and why or when its stops pooing in the house is not really a big deal lol I for one havent researched that part myself.. every dog is different and some take longer and some take it on quicker and i dont see a big deal with ppl asking that question :smilewinkgrin:

Badger's Mum likes this.
  16. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

Well, we're going to be first time puppy owners in 4 weeks time and I'm preparing myself by reading "The Perfect Puppy" and reading information on here too. I'm not expecting miracles, and know i'm going to be putting a lot of work in to give our pup the best chance of being the best doggy she can possibly be. I know there are going to be disastrous days, but I've got three kids and it's not all moonlight and flowers with them either, but they and the pup (oh, and my longsuffering hubby LOL) are my family and you take the rough with the smooth.

haeveymolly likes this.
  17. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Exactumondo :)

18. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

All said, i think its a bit like when you have a human baby before it comes you read all the baby books and think you have it all sorted and you are now an expert:D when it arrives you see everything totally different, its the same with pups yes we read that a young pup will wee and need to be toilet trained but some arnt prepared for the ammount of wees one bowl of water in and 3 out, well thats how it seems, with research or no research its never as straight forward as we are led to believe:rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

absolutely right! :thumbup:

20. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

This is the second post about people asking about silly thing's this week. People will be too sared to ask anything. Thought that was how you learn by asking, Also don't forget we do have younger member's Who have family pup's I think it's good that they want to find out thing's About there dog's:). A place like this would have helped me when i had my first pup.:eek:

Natik likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice