Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why are my clownfish going dark???

Discussion in 'Marine Aquarium Advice' started by Jen26, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Hi all, I've had my marine tank set up for about 3 months now, it's fully cycled, ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 5ppm, sg 1.024, temp 25, Ph 8.5.

I've have some coral and invertebrates in all doing well, so I decided to take the plunge and add two clownfish. They were fully orange when they went in but they have started to go dark on there top half? They are swimming around and feeding well and as far as I can tell are not in any distress? Has anyone else experienced this or know why it's happening?? Thanks in advance xx

Attached Files:

2. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 PetForums Senior

I will take a random stab and guess its sexual maturity/age/sex/species of the fish. From a brief google search this is apparently not uncommon an occurrence.

Have you tried a web search to find your answer?

Picklelily likes this.
  3. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Hi Thankyou, yes I've looked on the net but can't find anything, they have only been in my tank a week so could be the change of surroundings, or diet maybe? There otherwise ok so hopefully nothing to worry about x

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi Jen, sorry I can't help as I know nothing about marines, but just wondering if you've tried any other forums such as Tropical Fish Forums UK - Index for example? Not a lot of marine keepers on PF unfortunately (or if there are, they don't post here that regularly!)

5. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Thanks for that, I will check it out :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice