Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why are dogs so expensive lol...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by EmzieAngel, Aug 3, 2009.

1. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I mean the price of them plus everything else needed?
    I'm not really complaining, we can afford to look after Bailey no problem.

Just me and my mum have become interested in a chocolate Labrador puppy, which would be ready in 7 weeks time. It is one of 5 pups, there was 6, unfortunately one died, but there are 3 golden, 2 black and 1 chocolate.

My mum's seen a pic of them, she would be really tempted, just we can't afford another one at the moment.

Gutted!!

It's such a shame because there is always someone at home. I'd take it to training classes, unfortunately when we got Bailey the best training classes were about 45-50 mins away and because of traffic probably longer and there is now some new ones in my town which I'd check out first.

I've been doing quite a bit of training with Bailey lately, mainly heelwork and he's doing really well, and I've finally got him to sit and wait at kerbs on first command 90% of the time. He's calmed down when meeting people and doesn't try to jump up at people as much.

Ahh well maybe in a couple of years time.
    x

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Perhaps with Baileys few issues, now wouldnt be the best time for a pup.

Its best to have a well trained, stable dog before bringing in a puppy, so that they can lead by example.

Despite having 2 dogs, i dont think id ever be in a postion to pay the full price for a well bred one. Certainly not at the moment anyway. Maybe one day when ive got a great job, or married a millionaire.

I might be poor, but my boys want for nothing, and get only the best.

3. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Yeah I know, I considered that too.
    So to be honest it doesn't really matter, I think deep down, even if we did have the money I know I would wait until Bailey's properly trained. I'll just have coo over the pictures lol.
    x

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You can always plan ahead if you really want to eventually get another dog.

Find a breeder you like, put your name down, stuff like that.

Plus, start saving :)

5. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Yeah, I was actually thinking of doing that.
    I've recently been researching different breeds as well.

Haha yeah, I think I need to find myself a job so I can help pay more towards things for Bailey. Not that I haven't spent hundreds of pounds on him in the past few months anyway lol and I need my brother to move out :p He's not really a dog person, he stays out of the way.

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Why are dogs expensive? I don't think they are.

Well a healthy well bred litter is expensive to raise. Firstly there are all the health tests. In labradors, that could easily amount to £350 - £500 depending on what your vet's charges for xrays are. Then there is the stud fee (usually about the price of a puppy) and the not inconsiderate cost of equipment required and raising them.

A well bred labrador will probably cost between £500 and £700 (again, depending on where you live).

If you work out that the average lifespan will be 12 years, this actually works out at £40/£60 per year or £3.50/£5.00 per month, or 80p/£1.12 per week. Hardly what I would call expensive!

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Yeah but you dont spread the cost of buyng a well breed puppy over its life, i think what she means its alot of money to shell out in one go as you say £600 for puppy, £40-£80 jabs, £10-£30 microchipping, e.t.c before you know it you could be spending £1k out in just 2-3weeks

Thats alot of money to me my oh isnt even getting £1k wages a month lol!

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Then you save!

How does anyone pay for a high cost item - a car, a new cooker, new carpets etc. I think the easy credit lifestyle that people have come to enjoy means people expect something instantly.

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Oh i agree

Its the easy credit paying monthly, having that item now alot of people think the same with dogs. They see a cute puppy and want it now! (not saying you do OP :) )

My oh's sister phoned up last night asking where she could buy a puppy for £100-£150 that night as her daughter asked for one :mad: she wants a lab or a chi (and for only £150 max) no research, no care, she wanted one there and then at 8 o'clock at night Oh and be delivered like a chinese takeaway :eek:ut:

10. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Lol don't worry, I don't just see dogs and puppies as cute anyway, I know they need care for their lifetime and know with the problems we've had with Bailey, that it wouldn't be advisable to get a puppy right now. In a few years maybe yes.

But as you said the cost of buying a dog, the vets fees, worming, flea treatments, microchipping, feeding and all the extras is what I meant when it comes to expensive.

11. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I know what you mean, we paid £600 for Bella and we saved for this. we got married 2 weeks before we were due to pick her up so it was our wedding present to us!!

She was well worth it, but yes expensive!!

:)

12. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Aww bless.

I really need to find a job and save some money, cos a well bred Labrador in my area is £600 ish. My mum would probably go halves on everything with me, like I do with Bailey's things sometimes, but it's finding a job that's the hard part, not many going in my town at the minute. My brother has about 4 jobs just so he can earn enough money for him to live on and pay some debts lol.

I think I'm gonna go look for jobs online now haha.
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice