Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why are dangerous driving sentences so low?!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Mar 23, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

BBC News - Driver sentenced over road worker death

Vs

BBC News - Student protester jailed for throwing fire extinguisher

Basically a 21 year old got done for dangerous driving. He made another car go off course and one man died, another had a spinal fracture. This guy got a one year community service order and 60 hours community service.

Vs

Guy who threw a fire extinguisher off a building near crowds of people and got 2 years 8 months inside.

Why the hell are we so lax for dangerous driving?? We seem to give out ridiculously low deterrents for crimes if you're at the wheel of a car and I just don't understand it.

2. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

They aren't always low, lorry driver round here lost concentration on the A14 and killed a bloke, he got a prison sentence because looking at the evidence the lapse of concentration was some significant time.

BUT you have to consider that lapses of concentration happen that sometimes have tragic consequences. My OH had an accident the other week, totally his fault he just didn't see someone, he is a fantastic driver, always careful not some loony boy racer but for some reason his brain just didnt register this car when he pulled out. This accident could easily have resulted in the loss of life of the other driver had there been cars coming the other way. Should be face a prison sentence ? Leaving us as a family broke, his kids fatherless, effectively it would ruin his life because of the type of man he is he would never forgive himself.

Every time we get behind the wheel of a car we take a risk and humans are only human, accidents happen :(

When there is drink/drugs or the driver was taking some sort of uneccesary risk then that is different IMO.

3. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

The law is an ass.A Murder, 'life' sentence is 15 years.Life should be life.From taking life from another person,should mean your life is gone too. Bring back hanging

4. GoldenShadow

The lad in question I know someone who knows him and lets just say his wasn't a temporary lack of concentration :(

I understand what you say and agree re normal people who don't get behind the wheel when they shouldn't. Instances like yours are not even what I'm talking about, should have made that clearer :) I doubt your OH would be done for dangerous driving for the likes of what happened though, its pretty rare I think when its an accident like that?

But drivers under the influence of something seem to get peanuts often enough. Where we lived before this driver had been drinking, went to overtake someone, killed a guy in another vehicle, the woman and her daughter in his car were killed and he got next to nothing for it, though he did get a custodial sentence.

Not long ago there was this woman cycling who got killed by a lorry. The driver had been banned loads of times before and been in trouble loads of times before and was obviously not a good enough driver to be on the road at that point yet he was. It just makes me so sad that lives can get wiped out like that, I know accidents happen but I mean along the lines of where they could easily have been prevented :(

ETA: Here is the cyclist link, that guy just shouldn't have been driving :nonod:

http://road.cc/content/news/27696-l...eks-donations-no-more-lethal-lorries-campaign

#4 GoldenShadow, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

We all have lapses & luckily most of the times they simply remind us of the potential dangers of driving a car. But some poeple seem intent on driving like @rseholes all the time & don't seem to care that they are endangering others on the road.

6. GoldenShadow

But then its always the people who are cautious and careful who have bad luck that day and are in the wrong place at the wrong time or have a momentary lapse.

Why does it always work that the genuine @rseholes always get off OK? :(

7. morsel

morsel PetForums Senior

Probably because politicians and judges like their drink too much.:rolleyes:

8. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

My friend Sharon was killed in 1982 aged 12 by a drunk driver, he was doing 60 MPH in a 30 MPH speed limit. He couldn't stand up when he got out of the car. He got a 6 month driving ban and a £120.00 fine. Just wrong :(

9. The guy who threw the fire extinguisher off the building should have got life imo! it were a stupid act! NOT saying that stupid drivers should not be dealt with more severely however! Not really a comparison"!
    ALL idiots should be dealt with more harshly!

10. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

That's not just wrong... it's Horrific :(
    So sorry that Sharon lost her life and that no justice was served.
    I think this is exactly the type of thing GoldenShadow meant in her OP.
    So sad, it's these types of cases which make genuine, honest drivers/people's blood boil.
    xxx

metaldog likes this.
  11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

It was horrific. I saw it happen, it was the day before my 12th birthday. I've never gotten over it and I still think about Sharon every day.

It doesn't just affect the people involved, there's ripples and it affects many people. :(

In my mind it was murder/manslaughter and he should have gone to prison for life, he would have done if he'd hit her on the head with a fire extinguisher.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice