Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who's the leader in your pack

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cravensmum, Jan 30, 2012.

1. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Not in a dominant nasty way,but even though I only have 2 dogs I have noticed that Flint does like to be first at everything and Craven lets him.

Flint likes to be -
    First out the door
    First to any smells even if it means bumping Craven out of the way.
    He always gets in the car first,and is always the first out of it.
    He starts whining if they are on lead and Craven is sniffing something he doesn't want to sniff or has already sniffed.
    If me and Craven are having a cuddle,he thinks nothing of barging in between us.

None of this is a problem for me or Craven,but it has surprised me that Craven has let him get away with some things.:eek:

So for those that have more than 1 dog,who is the leader or the more dominant one.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Alfie by a mile.
    Even tries it on on Metame and Fleur :rolleyes:

I thought you meant pack as in us humans too!!!

3. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

No,just dogs.:rolleyes:

4. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

Trouble is still keeping Stark in check but perhaps not for much longer :(
    i think Stark is a lot more intelligent and considerate than trubs and by the looks of ver 15.6kg 16 weeks weigh in is going to be much bigger :eek:

5. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Still haven't worked it out with my two :confused:

A lot of the time it seems like Lily is the boss, but I really think that Branston just lets her act like that because he's not really bothered, but if he really wants something or puts his foot down about something then Lily will always submit.

Most other people (who aren't with them 24-7) will say "ooh Lily's definitely the boss isn't she" but I'm not convinced :huh:

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Alfie - the smallest and the eldest - but the others all respect him more so than they do one another.

He's a gentle but firm leader ;) :D

7. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

My Flyte, the goldie thinks he is, but in reality Skye is I think, simply because he will not give in.

Attached Files:

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Well, for all appearances you might think it was Adam.. he bullies the cats, and can be quite bossy with toys.
    However it is in fact Hannah who is in charge!!:) Its just that all 3 are quite non confrontational so the girls are happy to let Adam prance around like king of the universe, until its something Hannah really wants (which doesnt happen often!), then the other 2 get out of her way!!:D
    They do have a fluid pack structure though, coz if they are outside then everybody follows Adams lead as he is the more confident one.

9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Mmm a bit more blurred then, I don't think there is one really :)
    They are just partners in crime :D

10. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Lilly is definately the 'boss' in our house - she may be 1/2 his size but she bosses Zipper around all the time.

I think I may have to seriously question our friendship :eek: :w00t:

11. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Henrick and Bella have an odd relationship, to anyone watching they would say Bella is in charge, she snarls and growls and grabs Henrick when they are playing and sounds terrifying, he is a proper gentle giant but she knows when she pushes him to far he only has to give her a look and she backs down straight away so I would say despite her sillyness she also knows that hes the boss. They both know they come well below the cats in ranking though.

12. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I think in general who's "in charge" depends on what resources are involved in the interaction. For example both mine are the boss when it comes to their own dinners!! However overall Hugo comes out top in most interactions (very typical of Oscar to give way to a 3 month old puppy! Bless him) at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if that changes once the puppy licence runs out.

13. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

With mine it seems to depend on what it is thats important- Jay, I'm sure was born on the wrong side of bed but the others dont always heed her grumblings!!!

14. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

me...................................................

15. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Dogs only.:rolleyes:

Or are you saying...............................your a dog.:D

16. Kimbamocca

Kimbamocca PetForums Junior

Well, Mocca is 2,5 years and Kimba is 1 year old. I got Kimba at 7 weeks and since then Mocca is the boss, even if Kimba is taller and bigger :D
    She just adores her Mocca-Labrador and follows her everywhere... I hope it stay like this!

17. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

if i was you i would say yes:rolleyes:

18. Roobster2010

Roobster2010 PetForums Senior

Out of my 2, I would tend to say Ruby is deffo the leader of the pack rrrrmmm rrrrmmmm lol

Ruby is in charge at dinner time & her bowl is usually put down first. If I didn't stay in the room with them, Ruby would finish hers then move on to Millie's scran. Whatever toy Ruby is playing with & loving, as soon as Millie gets anything Ruby must have it. However if I'm having a cuddle with Ruby, Millie will just come & barge right into the middle of us & Ruby lets her. Also, Millie is the only dog who Ruby will allow to eat out her bowl.

I'd say generally Ruby is in charge but I think its just because Millie loves Ruby so much that she lets her take the lead.:)

#18 Roobster2010, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Probably Candy. She will tend to guard toys and chews and block Toffee from moving around. But when they are out and about they neither seem to be the boss.

20. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I thought I was till I got back from and emergency rush to the hossie earlier and didn't Crate Bob..

Bob likes to remind me of things like he is almost human.. so maybe he should be the boss.. specially seen as he is able to open all doors and cupboards and has then emptied my cupboards .. :angry:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice