Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who's that standing next to you?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BessieDog, Nov 11, 2012.

1. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

It's just occurred to me, especially after reading some heated threads, that PF has a lot of members, and more people joining all the time. So how do we know whether the dog or owner's behaviour we're talking about isn't a member of PF?

It came to me yesterday when I was in my local Sainburys, which I now know is the local for Sixstar too - I found myself looking round and wondered whether I could be standing next to her, however, without our dogs we wouldn't know.

I nearly got caught out (but think I've escaped) by putting that my groomer was a scary lady on another forum, to then find that she was a member of that forum! And we use real names on that one as usernames! I do so hope she doesn't read that thread! :eek:

So do you ever wonder if the person you're writing about is a member of this forum? We don't post photos of ourselves very often, but some of the dogs are very recognisable.

Just wondered if anyone else has thought about this?

2. Skoust

Skoust PetForums Member

Yeah, this could definitely happen! Not so much for me now that I'm in Guernsey, but I've been to a couple of dog shows recently and I do wonder if there are any PF people about :p

3. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

Yes, I do think about it when I'm out and we meet other dog owners but never met any i recognise.
    :)

4. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

I think this sometimes too :lol:
    When im out and about walking Molly, I sometimes wander if the other people walking their dogs are on here!

5. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Emma is my real name. Alfie is clearly recogisable by his colours and markings etc, i'm sure most here would know him if you saw him.

One day i complained about my next door neighbours dog going for alfie and my last dog billy and them not having a fence. Out of the blue two days later she put up a fence. Coincidence?????

#5 emmaviolet, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I have thought about that before too, it's one of the reasons I seldom put posts on the forum slagging random people off because you never know who you're talking to.

I saw a post on here once where someone had put a photo of her mum's dog and it turns out I know her mum :D

7. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

I wish I knew Househens. She sounds like a great character. No chance of walking into her, she's too far away. Everyone else is EVEN FURTHER!!!

I'm all alone........

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I often do think that. I have met people I know on here at shows with having the italians I am usually easily recognisable at shows as there are not many of them being shown.

9. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I know Nina_82 but she doesn't post often, and me and Bisbow live fairly close and know some of the same people but have never met :eek: I'm a bit of a loner on me owner in my part of Kent. Keep meaning to go bother babycham and cats4m8z but haven't made it to a meet up yet! So I don't THINK I'll have met anyone round my way but you never know.

10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

There was a member on here who caused some controversy a while back who is local to me & walks in one of the parks we are regulars in. I doubt I will bump into her now (though I'd love to:mad:) as she's probably sold her poor dog on as that is what she was unearthed doing a couple of weeks after getting him & joining the forum:(

11. Shadowrat

Shadowrat PetForums VIP

I don't think I've ever done it here, but I remember doing it on a rat forum once after I picked up some manky rescues off someone.
    They were awful; riddled with mites and scabs, thin, one was anaemic he was so riddled with mites, bumblefoot, etc.
    The owner had told me she hadn't got the cash to get them to a vet, but her lounge was complete with huge flatscreen tv, lap top, all lovely and decked out :rolleyes: She didn't tell me when I picked them up that there was anything wrong with them either.
    And she was only getting rid of them because she 'had too many rats' and these were the ones to go. I never saw the others, wasn't allowed in that room, but I dread to think.

This was one of the boys, and his mite scabs, the day I got him and bathed him (they were all wee stained, too):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was so annoyed, I vented on a rat forum about it, and posted pics, and only after that did I remember the owner saying she'd registered with that forum and was a member (although, not an active one). My heart did leap into my mouth a bit when I realised that!
    But then I thought.....sod it. You let your animals get into a bad state that would cost a lot to put right, and you just fobbed them off to a rescue to deal with (she also apologised for not being able to give me a donation toward their care, as she 'had no money', but had just gotten herself a new kitten).

I've spoken about certain people here that I don't like, one being the trainer I had at puppy class, and for a moment it did make me wonder if she was on here. But again.....I think if you're ranting with justification, you shouldn't be ashamed if the person reads it. If my trainer had seen my rants about her, I wouldn't have been all that bothered, in fact, I'd have liked to have known how she would have justified herself for grabbing my 4 month old puppy by the collar and shaking him and shouting at him for nipping her, like puppies do.

So I have no real fears; I don't bitch about people needlessly, only if I think they're horribly out of order.
    I do think Im the only young woman with an adolescent male dobe in lowestoft so if anyone sees that, its probably me! :D

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I think about it a lot - that is why I don't name people or dogs specifically that we come across on walks unless they are members that I have met and don't mind. If I am posting about something bad that happened, I ensure that I tell the truth and don't say anything that I wouldn't mind the person knowing (or would in fact love them to know at times and hope that they do read it).

13. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

Oh god yer! There is this terrible lady that walks where I walk, she and her dogs always follow me around! But shhh she is an active member and knows what I look like :) :D:D:p

I've met some off of here and it feels weird calling them by their real name ha

14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Ooh, I think I know the one you mean, she's a pain ain't she :lol:

15. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

She is! She always steals all of the scampi!

16. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I worry more they may recognise me and then moan about me!!

17. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Me too or they won't recognise me but still moan - when Kilo and I have had a bad day I sometimes think there'll be a post with something like "I met an awful woman with a RR today; all my friendly black lab wanted to do was say hello and she was really snotty with me" or "I saw a woman with a totally out of control RR; he was jumping all over her. People like her give large dog owners a bad name" :eek: :eek::eek:.

18. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

:D :D :D :D
    This dalmatian all skin and bone, and a gobbie GSP came charging out the under growth at my nervous cavalier!!!
    Or maybe it is my sub-concious telling me not to lie:eek:

#18 northnsouth, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

It's funny you should say that as I've just had cause to complain about a PF member's dog - Harvey, the yellow lab, owned by astara. :aureola: I was playing nicely with him when he suddenly bit my finger - not once, but twice :mad: :lol: Same finger too :eek: Good job she happens to be my SIL and knows I love Bonnie and Harvey to bits :001_wub:
    ETA: Harvey didn't really bite my finger hard - it just happened to get caught when we were playing with a toy he wanted me to throw for him :eek: No skin was broken and no cause for casualty :D

On a serious note though, yeah, I do worry in case an owner I happen to complain about is a member on here, so I try to make sure that I keep to the facts and try to see it from both viewpoints, instead of just raging about owners, giving a biased viewpoint and potentially having the backlash of an even more irate owner to deal with. :rolleyes:

That's why, with my thread "Maybe Max IS aggressive" on Thursday, I was quick to point out that neither of the other owners who have labelled Max as "aggressive" happened to see the whole picture because for various reasons, their view was blocked, one, by me, and another because the owner was half a block away. :rolleyes: It's also why I've now got a book on dog behaviour and intend to get more. ;)

Tbh I'd rather be content to let it slide and stick to picture threads showing off my 2 perfectly behaved, well adjusted, friendly canines for the world to enjoy :aureola: ;)

#19 LinznMilly, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  20. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

^^^ This if its justified and truthful then so be it if they see it. (I think the only person I have perhaps really whinged about specifically (and maybe unnecessarily) is our best mate with his collie and he is never likely to read here, his wife may but she would completely understand where I am coming from as he is blinkered ;))

Lowey, just up the road from me - right I am going to track you down :devil: Ha Ha Now I am going to see young women with Dobes everywhere aren't I. If you ever see a silly scruffy ginger ninja scampering towards you then run :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice