Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who's at fault?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Apr 15, 2011.

1. rona

rona Guest

You're stopped at a junction/traffic lights, level crossing etc.
    The person behind you comes up really close.
    When you go to pull away your car rolls back into one of the many dips in a badly maintained road and clips the car behind.
    So who is a fault, you for rolling back, the driver who stopped far to close or the council for not repairing the road?
    This is hypothetical, I haven't done it, but had a scare a few days ago :eek:

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

The car behind for being up your ass :D

Thats what my instructor told me.

The car behind should ALWAYS be able to see the whole of your back wheels thus giving you the extra room to roll back on a hill etc and be able to save yourself without causing an accident.

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

The person behind...you should always leave enough space for every eventuality

juliex

4. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Just asked the know it all boyfriend and he said it'd be you at fault for not stopping the car from rolling back, you apprently meant to find the bite point before taking the handbrake off so it doesn't happen ... i wouldn't know as i dont drive :lol:

5. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

LOL what do men know?:D;)

6. ClaireLouise

If a car rolls back into another car its classed as not being incontrol no matter how close the car was. so the one that rolled back is at fault

7. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I just sat smiled and nodded :lol:

8. Assuming the car at the back is stationary then is is ALMOST always going to be the car that hit the other car - in this instance the car that rolled backwards. Clutch//acelerator/handbreak .

9. rona

rona Guest

Well that's as clear as mud then :lol:

10. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

The biker side of me thinks like this.... I would say, if you saw a pot hole when you was becoming stationary on a busy road/junction like this, that was big enough for you to roll backwards into, you should have seen it on your approach and positioned your car accordingly to avoid bouncing through it, or sitting ontop of it.Even if it meant stopping before the pothole and leaving a gap. You should have been looking far enough ahead to see this problem and avoid it all together.

I think if your car rolls backwards for what ever reason, you could be blamed for not being in control of your car.

In fairness tho... you dont know where youur car wheels are sitting on the road and whether they are balancing on a pothole or not... and pot holes shouldnt even be on the road by junctions like this. KICK THE COUNCIL UP THE ARSE !!!

Also, you shouldn`t have to worry about what the idiots are doing behind you... its upto them to leave a decent gap and allow for things like this.
    Should an emergency vehicle need to get past for example, no one would have room to move to get out the way.

Soooooo I would say you,the council and car behind would all be partly responsible, because you could have all done something to have prevented it.

11. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Can't believe how close some people come up your backside when waiting at lights etc. Wish I had a sign telling them to back off but they probaly wouldn't pay attention ;)

12. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

If we believe all that we are told about women being better drivers than men then why are you asking this question ??????

In any court of law (I worked in one for a long time) when a moving vehicle hits a stationary vehicle the moving one is at fault.

Shall we also go into the correct method of pulling away no matter if you are on a hill or not or in a pot hole or not the correct method of moving off would ensure you do not roll back.

However, being a woman driver obviously better than a man driver this would not apply to you would it......:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

13. rona

rona Guest

But I didn't say which vehicle was mine ;)

14. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

They are at fault for being too close!

15. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

Now come on, no side stepping here....lol

16. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

It's a grey area, normally the one at the back, it will be blamed as running into you, but if you say you rolled back, you have admitted blame yourself.

#16 Happy Paws2, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  17. gladass

gladass Banned

I would say the car rolling back would be at fault as it hit a stationary car

18. gladass

gladass Banned

19. check my post! way above yours! did I put those words into your mouth?:D

20. frags

frags PetForums VIP

According to my insurance company the car that hits the car in front Grrrrr

I just lost an insurance claim as i was coming round a roundabout a bloke cut in front of me at my turning and then did a dead stop to do a U turn back onto the roundabout! he claimed i was too close (derrrr cos you cut me up) and i lost!!!

He was in a company car etc in an area he didnt know and i was in my old car that i relie (sp) on to get me to work etc and i bloody lost!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lost everything and now im beyond skint and in debt upto my eye balls.

Sorry rant over lol was only told yesterday he won so this thing is kinda raw still lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice