UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were poorly and couldnt care for your rodents, who would do it? My cages havent been cleaned for 9 days now, I should be keeping my dressing on my hand clean so Im not really supposed to be cleaning the cages, although I can manage feeding etc. My son has offered to help me tomorrow by doing the dirtier jobs but I couldnt ask him to do it when he had been at school all day. So who would look after your rodents if you suddenly couldnt?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well... our rats are shared between my son and I. Seeing he 8 I don't think he could do it all. I have never really thought of this but I think my hubby would but only if it was an emergancy.
Laura XXX

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've never really thought about it but when i have been ill i've just done it but i've never had a burn or anything to serious, just the flu or cold.

I guess if i really couldn't do it my dad would probably do most of it for me

G

·
If you were poorly and couldnt care for your rodents, who would do it? My cages havent been cleaned for 9 days now, I should be keeping my dressing on my hand clean so Im not really supposed to be cleaning the cages, although I can manage feeding etc. My son has offered to help me tomorrow by doing the dirtier jobs but I couldnt ask him to do it when he had been at school all day. So who would look after your rodents if you suddenly couldnt?
Put a plastic bag (food bag) over your bandage, you can clean the cage and keep the bandage dry then :D
I've had pretty much exactly the same injury as you (grabbed a hot oven tray without a glove because I was about to lose my dinner on the floor :rolleyes:)

As for your question, it would fall on my unsuspecting OH if I was too poorly :eek:

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a plastic bag (food bag) over your bandage, you can clean the cage and keep the bandage dry then :D
I've had pretty much exactly the same injury as you (grabbed a hot oven tray without a glove because I was about to lose my dinner on the floor :rolleyes:)

As for your question, it would fall on my unsuspecting OH if I was too poorly :eek:
I can keep the dirt off with the bag but I still cant grasp anything ( too sore:blushing:) I think we will manage between the two of us, if not I will have to rope my poor oh in, my daughter will (and does) clean her hamster out but looked like this :eek: when I suggested she helped with the other rodents :rolleyes:.

G

·
I can keep the dirt off with the bag but I still cant grasp anything ( too sore:blushing:) I think we will manage between the two of us, if not I will have to rope my poor oh in, my daughter will (and does) clean her hamster out but looked like this :eek: when I suggested she helped with the other rodents :rolleyes:.
Have you got any Flamazine cream (silver sulfadiazine)?
That stuff is awesome on burns, I swear by it. I burn myself alllll the time, I didn't get the nickname Bernie (It started as Burny but I changed the spelling :p) fir nothing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you got any Flamazine cream (silver sulfadiazine)?
That stuff is awesome on burns, I swear by it. I burn myself alllll the time, I didn't get the nickname Bernie (It started as Burny but I changed the spelling :p) fir nothing :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are forever more going to be Burny to me now :lol: I havent got either cream in, is that prescription or can I get some from the chemists? I cant put any on till its not being dressed (about 10 days) but it sounds like I should have some in as I do burn myself a lot:blushing:.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
My hubby would have to look after my lot. I've even got a note book where I've written down the day to day care and needs of the rats ie wiping down shelves,litter changes,replacing dry mix in the morn,free range,safe human foods,full cage clean outs and hammock change days. I've made sure I've written it all down for him to refer to as a "just incase" and I've told him to read it and take note should anything happen to me.
That way I know my ratties are going to be properly looked after! :cool:

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: I love this forum, what a chain of events. I do a thread, my lovely friend reads it and offers by text to come and help me do the cages, my oh reads the text and is shamed into offering :lol:. Apparently I "only needed to ask", so the massive hints for the last 3 days werent enough for him then :rolleyes:

G

·
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are forever more going to be Burny to me now :lol: I havent got either cream in, is that prescription or can I get some from the chemists? I cant put any on till its not being dressed (about 10 days) but it sounds like I should have some in as I do burn myself a lot:blushing:.
It's a prescription only med :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah for good friends.
Why do we always NEED to ask OH?
Me thinks because they are really only interested in themselves and don't even notice all the chores we do. More thoughtless than selfish :001_unsure:
Glad you're getting help and hope your burn heals quickly.
Laura XXXX

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm glad you got your OH to help, men take forever to get hints!

My brother lives with me and my other brother visits daily and they often clean the animals out for me (I suffer with a bad back and sometimes cant lug the big cages and bags of substrate about)
So when I'm unable I know I'll have some help :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
My Mum - would be the first person or my boyfriend - but we're long distance at the moment. I think I'm pretty lucky both my brothers would and my sister-in-laws and my bestfriend and her husband would.

I guess it's not so bad if it's just a short-term but if it was a long term illness.....I guess I'd just make everyone take it in turns! hehe.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
if i couldnt then my mum would do it, probably with a bit of grumbling but she would do it :lol:

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
i dont have anyone who would :scared:
my landlady feeds them when i go away for the odd weekend but no-one would clean them out if i couldn't :/

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
:lol: I love this forum, what a chain of events. I do a thread, my lovely friend reads it and offers by text to come and help me do the cages, my oh reads the text and is shamed into offering :lol:. Apparently I "only needed to ask", so the massive hints for the last 3 days werent enough for him then :rolleyes:
Admit it, you only posted about this in the first place because you knew that would happen :lol:

I could probably bribe my mum into doing it, but I'd need to supervise. She has helped me with them before when I had problems with my eczema and asthma :) I'd be lost without her :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.