Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who knows the law on dogs police don't seem to

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by suewhite, Feb 10, 2012.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

My friends Whippet was attacked by a German Shepherd the man walking the dog also had 2 Malamutes off lead I actually thought her dog was dead but with vet treatment costing £1200 she has recovered,the police phoned me to ask if I had any trouble with the 3 dogs they also said there was nothing they could do as it was dog on dog and third party had paid the vet bill,they did say they had had quite a lot of complaints about these dogs but he was as entitled as any of us to walk his dogs in the fields,I thought there was a law to say you had to have control of your dogs :confused:

2. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I believe there is even if your dog is loose you have to have care and control... at least here you do

3. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

police went to see my neighbours few months back after their dog was attacked and its all down to proving a dog was dangerously out of control, in that case they just told the owner of the other dog that it should be muzzled when out and "suggested" he cover the vets bill. He hasn't complied with the muzzling though but did pay the vets - it was only for antibiotics and my neighbour is a big bloke!

4. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

on the DEFRA website

taken from http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13573-dogs-law-you-leaflet-080515.pdf

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

The police will do nothing about a dog on dog attack unless you tell them you were fearfull the dog was going to attack you too.

A staffies attacked a JRT belongiong to an old man a few years ago. The JRT needed 50 stitches the staffie then attacked my greyhound and I was told the same. William was lucky the dog didn't get hold of him.

Your friend needs to report him to the dog warden and tell them it is running dangerously out of control they should speak to the owner.

7. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

The police have come up with the idea if he is in agreement:rolleyes:that he uses half the field and we use the other half,cant see that working dogs can run pretty fast if they see other dogs,there is no way a 5foot nothing bloke can hold onto 3 big dogs:mad:

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Where did this happen? Was it in a council land or privately owned? I would also contact the local Dog Warden about this & see what they can suggest

I would also ask to speak to someone else at the police station maybe a higher authority & explain that you are not happy with the lack of advice or support.

9. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

all you have to do is register with the main police station that you are afraid of coming to harm if his dogs attack your, quote the defra leaflet I linked to and say that you want a muzzle order on his dogs in public if he cannot control them then he should have them muzzled to protect other people

personally if I had 3 DA dogs I would walk them individually so I could control them!

10. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

Absolute bull twaddle.

Just because he's short it doesn't mean he can't control 3 big dogs! That's just stupid logic.

I control two, sometimes 3 large dogs, along with a pram, with one hand (well, dogs in one hand and pram in other), and I'm only about 5ft 6?!?!

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

5 ft 2 me i can manage 2. 3 on the other hand......but then im a weakling lol

12. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Difference might be that yours are trained to walk on a lead so I dont think its stupid logic or twaddle,his 3 go in different directions when on leads.

13. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Depends on the person or dogs then, quite regularly pass a bloke with 2 large german shepherds, he's around 6', the dogs go mental if they see another dog (not in a friendly way either) and he has a job to stay on his feet as he tries to drag them away. He goes red in the face as soon as he sees me now as my dog just sits down looking puzzled and doesn't make a sound as he struggles by lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice