Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who is on your bird table today?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Lurcherlad, Jan 4, 2015.

1. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

The "tit" family and a few robins have been again nibbling away on the suet block I put out for them yesterday. :D

Dumb (or dumber) was lingering on the fence near the kitchen window earlier,think he was telling me the seed tray is empty so i happily obliged and re-filled it.

In the trees,there's been a big argy bargy as MR & MRS magpies are trying to build their nest only to be bullied and harrassed away by 4 crows.:( Feel really sorry for them as they've spent hours collecting twigs only for them to be evicted from the tree and their home trashed.

Naughty Crows......Don't normally like magpies but I'm on their side this time,it happens every year.:(

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. catpud

catpud PetForums VIP

Any ideas on what new food I should try out?

I seem to get the same visitors to the feeders over and over - mainly house sparrows, dunnocks, and robins with a few wood pigeons, crows and magpies thrown in if I put food on the floor table.

I have seen blue tits hanging around, and have only spotted them on the feeders once, what do they enjoy?

I also see swallows occasionally and pied wagtails, but I have no idea how to encourage them to feed.

In the area there are plenty of other bird species that I spot regularly, I just never seem to attract them over the road to the garden let alone to the bird feeders.

I mainly feed suet pellets and balls with a few meal worms thrown in for good measure at the moment.

3. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

I put out peanuts,suet pellets black sunflower seeds,normal wild bird seed, mealworms and niger seed and a lot of little birds come all day round.

The tits tend to love the suet filled coconuts and blocks while the robins and finches go for the seeds.

I've stopped putting out fat balls....they were just going dusty and falling to bits with old age. the birds weren't too fussed about them but i'm sure if they were the only thing hanging they would have a nibble. :rolleyes:

4. leashedForLife

i've decamped to an elderly friend's house to help her dig out, so arrived on Monday afternoon, stayed thru
    the blizzard, & we've had anything from 14-inches to 2-ft of snow, depending where U are.

I put out all my seed, about 4-pounds in addition to what was already out, before i left -
    the tube-feeder was 2/3 full, & i filled the concrete leaf & the deep pottery bowl & tucked both
    UNDER the glass-topped table, on the chair-seats, to keep the snow from burying them.

There's also a blown-glass bubble feeder & a large pottery acorn, both with squirrel-baffles in the form
    of Chinese hats, so the bu**ers can't hop onto the feeder & pig-out.

My housemate tells me they buried the tube-feeder under the snow they shoveled from the parking alley
    & the small bricked court that all 4 houses front onto; drabbit! --- I hope it stays very, very cold till i get
    back home to UN-bury it, or the seed will get wet, mold, & there'll be H*** to pay; i just finished cleaning
    that feeder, it got rain into the bottom third, & was a mass of blackened wads of moldy seed. Horrible design,
    it was a real pain to empty & clean; square corners to trap lumps of moldy seed, 4 ports to harbor spores,
    & plastic rather than glass, which holds onto dirt as if it were precious. :nonod:

Tomorrow i'll finish clearing away the remaining snow in the morning, & head home after lunch.
    Hopefully i'll have the tube-feeder free of snow by 3 or 4-PM, depending on what time i get there,
    & how deeply it's buried / how hard-packed the snow. :thumbsup:

5. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately the stupid people in the area which I live...(and believe me thee are many) don't appear to know what the word Spay or Neuter means so the only thing I ever get on the bird tables I have had in the past are thousands of stray cats mothered by the cats people can't be arsed to get fixed...many which live on the streets so I don't get to enjoy the beautiful birds we do get round here unless I find them after one of the local idiot folks cats get to them first...I wonder if I attached said idiots to the table and took them to a falconry they might see some sense...sorry....I don't mean to be negative but you never know....if just one idiot sees this post they might just think twice eh :)

6. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I don't have a bird table as such cos of my feral cats but I do have hanging feeders all over the place and in places cats struggle to ambush on.

I have 3 robins that are around very often.

There are wrens that hide in the ivy and in the dry stone walling around the house.

There are tits of some sort...not sure which , some are blue but the others look a bit bigger and are black instead of blue.

Crows and blackbirds, very few magpies around here and there is a magpie I can sometimes here in some trees just in front of my house.

I buy fat balls and a big bag of wild bird seed. I chuck bread etc out for the crows and they really like leftover pasta.

If I find a deer roadkill, we usually put the head so the birds can eat that too.

I cooked some fatty pork last week and stripped the cooked skin with fat on it and hung that up....that was buzzing with so many different birds for a few days.

We get buzzards here but not many kestrels. Don't think I have seen a seagull on the ground here even though we are only 4 miles from the beach.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I started putting Niger seed out last year in an attempt to attract some finches, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I do get the odd Chaffinch, but haven't even seen them for weeks.

I tend to stick to the same stuff, mixed seeds, meal worms, nuts and suet which attracts all the normal birds - and I love them all ;) - but nothing really special or unusual.

Had a Redwing come in a couple of years ago for the holly berries but again, not seen in the garden since.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

There were loads of seagulls on the field over the back yesterday morning and today. The field is so wet, they probably feel like they are on the mudflats at Southend! ;)

I've bought some decking and other wood and am going to make a new, posh bird table with a roof. Have bought a large clear plastic bowl to attach underneath, upside down, to stop the squirrels climbing up the post.

I will make them their own nut dispenser, with the left over wood ;)

9. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Fatblocks :D This was my moment of pure joy today. I counted 11 but I think there are only ten in shot.

[​IMG]

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Wonderful :)

11. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Just seen a pair of long tailed tits on our bird feeders this morning, not seen these before in our garden. Also seen some goldfinches. Not particularly rare but again not seen any since we moved here - we used to have loads where we used to live so it's nice to see some again - I think it's because I put out sunflower hearts again.

Our local squirrels have also been monopolising the feeding stations this morning not allowing the birds to get a look in. I don't mind the squirrels, but I do mind that the birds keep away when the squirrels are in place!

12. leashedForLife

that's why i use Chinese hat baffles over my pottery-acorn feeder & the blown-glass globe, too -
    plus even the spring-loaded wire-framed 8-port feeder, which is squirrel-proof already, has a hat! -
    it helps keep the rain off the feeder, & out of the seed.

the wire-framed feeder has maple-leaf silhouettes of metal, which - when a heavy weight lands on the frame -
    slide down to cover the seed-ports, blocking them. It works very well. ;)

13. leashedForLife

we got another 12 to 14 inches of very fine, fluffy powder, burying the glass-topped table, as it fell on top of
    the previous 24 to 29-inches.

I dug the path out again, uncovered the table, extracted the concrete banana-leaf i've been using as a seed-tray,
    & put it on the table when the snowfall SLOWED, so the seed wouldn't be buried.

There have been dozens of Song Sparrows, at least a half-dozen Northern Cardinals [only 1 each of adults,
    1 F / 1 M; the rest juveniles, about evenly split for sexes], & the Gang of 5 - English Sparrows, 2 cocks, 3 hens.

Everyone is very hungry; lots of jostling!

My hanging feeders have 14 to 18-inch tall cones of snow, stacked on their squirrel-domes. :D

I'm out of seed, but i won't go shopping in this; tonight will be single digits & a wicked wind, as soon as the sun
    falls under the horizon [around 5-PM].
    Tomorrow will hit 20'-F, with sun - a relative heat-wave. :p I'll get my seed-stock then.

14. Jonescat

This guy - redwing - first one in the garden this year, and he only came because it was frosty. Don't think he will be back as the super-sexed-up-male blackbird chased him away, along with everything else today. The sooner he gets paired up the better!

[​IMG]

15. leashedForLife

the birds have practically emptied the blown-glass globe;
    the pottery-acorn still has a cup or 2 left, & the leaf-tray is down to a thin layer of millet & sunflower chips.

I've put out multiseed toast to hold them over, while i go get a 10# bag - but it's going to be a slog:
    the MBTA is having delays in all directions; the 3rd rail of the subway has up to a foot of snow on it,
    in places, & crews have been working virtually nonstop since the LAST storm dumped 2-feet on us;
    there's a limit to human endurance, & with this additional foot, they're running out of muscle.

The Cardinals, Song Sparrows, & the Brit-bullies are still here - the Blue Jays have gone next door,
    to eat the cat-food she puts out to feed roaming cats. :rolleyes: Not my favorite hobby; most ARE owned,
    she's not feeding ferals; one tomcat [yes, owned & intact] not only pooped in OUR yard, but hunkered
    under the glass-topped table to get out of the rain, & stalk the birds. :nono:

I put broken eggshells on the ground to make that uncomfortable; then the stinkin' b*gger sprayed
    the neighbor's propane-tank, under their grill - which just happens to be on the retaining-wall, above
    our itty-bitty yard, directly opposite the kitchen window. I can easily touch the grill, halfway-up the frame,
    standing on the ground in our micro-garden. :huh: The stink, once the cold breaks, will be appalling.

I'll have to invest in a deterrent spray; DoG-dam*ed OWNERS, who let their cats ROAM! :cursing:

#35 leashedForLife, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  16. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Not exactly on my bird table, in fact not on a table.
    There has been a Ring Ousel hanging about in a cotoneaster tree in a garden in my village for the last six weeks. The owners of the garden are not birders and thought they had a strange coloured blackbird until recently.
    OH saw it yesterday morning, but it was hiding somewhere when we went back with the camera.

17. leashedForLife

i bought 2 [10#] bags of Kaytee 'Waste Free', the same brand i'd got before - it's all hulled; no seed-hulls
    litter the ground, & no raggedy weeds spring-up, either. It's also a quality blend; no bl**dy Milo, that
    nothing but Grackles will eat! - that's just a cheap filler that often makes up 30% of cheap seed-blends,
    & ends up spoiled, on the ground. Birds throw it aside, to get to the edible stuff.

This is millet, sunflower, peanut hearts, flint corn [cracked], & canary seed. :thumbup:

I've already put over 5# out; filled all 3 squirrel-proof feeders, plus laid about 2# in the concrete-leaf.
    SO FAR, squirrels are estivating in the deep cold, & have not emerged to rifle the open seed. Fingers crossed!

Song Sparrows
    White-Crowned Sparrows
    3 or 4 juvenile Cardinals, both sexes
    1 each mature Cardinals [M & F]
    possibly a Grasshopper Sparrow - twice the size of Song Sparrows

& one lonely, neat & tidy Dark-Eyed Junco... AKA Snowbird, a hen.
    [the cocks have a flush of apricot under their wings, which fades into the ash-white breast on each side].

As it's Feb, i hope that i see some travelers headed north, soon...

18. Jonescat

I am enjoying your posts L4L - I keep having to look up new birds, which is very nice :)

19. Jonescat

Ah-ha! I have seen pics of this bird on a well known local birders blog!

20. leashedForLife

Did U by any chance look up Blue Jays?
    They are a larger species, related to mockingbirds & catbirds, & thus distantly to corvids - crows & ravens.
    Like mockers & crows, Jays are very smart; they are also insectivores & will eat meat, along with seeds,
    fruit, grain, berries, & nuts; very catholic tastes, indeed.

Like redbreasted Robins [another omnivore species], orphaned or injured Jays can be fed cat-food as
    a stand-in for insect protein. That's why the Jays so eagerly snatch kibble from the bowls set out next door,
    for any roaming cat. ;)

There's one unique thing about Blue Jays: their beautiful iridescent blue color is structure, not pigment.
    If U pinch a Blue Jay's feather in a blue area, U'll crush the light-scattering structure, & the true color
    will be seen: black. Isn't that amazing? :w00t:

The only things i don't like about Jays - 1st, they're predatory; i've seen them take nestlings of other birds,
    smaller species; i've also seen them carry off young squirrels, so young they were still faintly pink thru their
    thin hair, chirping in distress, with nearby bird-parents crying out in alarm, as the infant squirrel sounds so like
    a baby bird, calling in panic. :(

2nd, they're loud-mouthed; if U are in the woods & want to see wildlife, hope U DON'T encounter a Jay.
    The b*gger will follow along, shrieking alarm calls, & everything within a mile will flee or hide. :cursing:
    The only time U see Jays as silent as ghosts is when they approach their own nests, so no-one else knows
    where it's hidden, until the young birds are fledging & start to call themselves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice