Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who is on your bird table today?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Lurcherlad, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Looked out of the kitchen window and the terrace was a busy place!

1 robin
    2 squirrels
    3 wood pigeons
    2 jays
    several dunnocks
    several sparrows
    1 cock pheasant!

All busy feeding - I have 3 feeding stations on the terrace so there is plenty of choice/room for them to share :)

It's always an early feeding frenzy, then the wood pigeons hoover any last morsels up and the birds obviously move on to the next garden ;)

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

I love wood pigeons...I have two regulars who I've named Dumb and Dumber.:D

Over the past few of days though I haven't seen Dumb (or Dumber) so Dumber (or Dumb) was all alone sitting in the tree looking all sad :( and I thought something had happened to one of them but yesterday morning they were together again and I was soooooo happy for them to have been reunited.:thumbup: Maybe they'd had a row but have since kissed and made up.

This morning there are 2 squirrels,2 robins, a family of tits who were born here last year so it's lovley to have watched them grow and flourish and a few brown speckly birds.....like a dumpy version of thrushes.

I love watching them. :eek:

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Lots of blackbirds eating the remaining of the fallen apples I didn't pick up from the autumn.

At the feeders there are:

collared doves
    starlings
    house sparrows
    blue tits
    chaffinches
    a robin
    dunnocks

& monopolising the feeder at the end of the garden is a lesser spotted woodpecker

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No birds table here :(

The crows have been in pinching the dogs biscuits though :D

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

The parents of crow fledgling I took in earier in the year are still here. Was wacthing them playing in the frost this morning, such characters :D

6. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

House sparrows and dunnocks. One blue tit, a robin and a starling. The sparrows are a fearsome gang that don't let anyone else in, but in the hedges we have had 3 goldfinch, a bull finch, a blackbird and an unidentified bird that may be a juvenile starling so far today. Also pigeons in the beech tree, jackdaws on the roof and blackheaded gulls in our airspace.

7. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Blue Tits. Dunnock, Sterlings, Robin, Long tailed Tits, Gold Finches. 2 Wood pigeons, 2 collard Doves, Blackbirds.

The two squirrels have their own feeding station but sometimes join in on the bird stations.;)

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Had a small flock of Fieldfare this morning which was lovely to see but yestrday saw a peregrine falcon hunting just outside my house ....

Ok, technically not exactly in my garden but very close .... it was amazing to watch :D

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

About 30 goldfinches I think - difficult to count them as they keep moving.
    Blue, great, long tailed and marsh tits
    3 house sparrows (regulars)
    Blackbirds
    Dunnocks
    Robin
    Wren
    2 collared doves
    Wood pigeons
    Chaffinches
    Thrush
    Woodpecker, eating sunflower seeds which is a bit unusual
    All the above are regulars with a visit from the Sparrowhawk from time to time.
    Loads of feeders around the garden, good to see so many.

10. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Today we have had at 2 feeding stations
    Blackbirds picking up whats dropped from above them.
    2 Regular robins
    Lots of the tit family but mainly blue tits and popping in and out of the nest box.
    Dunnock
    Sparrows in there droves
    Starlings pinching the fat balls.
    Wood pigeon regulars.

Yesterday there was a new visitor eating between the cracks on the patio a Grey wagtail the first I've seen here in the garden for a long time.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Over the last couple of days the male pheasant (Percy) and the female (Felicity) have been feeding on the terrace. They are often about - and Felicity makes her nest a couple of gardens up, I believe.

There have been quite a few tits about, the wren was darting about in the honeysuckle and I also spotted a little garden warbler too the other day - a rare appearance.

Also spotted one of the thrushes that must be responsible for all the empty snail shells around the garden ;)

Five magpies in the garden the other day too - they seem to smell the monkey nuts as soon as I put them out - and the Jays usually join them.

Out walking through the lanes this morning, I must have spotted around a dozen different male blackbirds, all singing and sparring - surely still too cold for them to be thinking of all "that malarkey" yet?

Quite a few seagulls on the fields too - must be pretty wild weather at Southend this morning ;)

12. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Not many birds here. House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Dunnock, Male Blackcap, Blue & Great Tits, lots of Corvids, Collared Doves, Wood pigeons & a Herring Gull.

13. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I can now add Song Thrush to my 'so far this year' list.:D

14. Jonescat

A chaffinch! I am so excited - we haven't had one in the garden for many years - our greenfinches and chaffinches all vanished at least six years ago so to get one back in amazing.

leashedForLife and yelloworchid like this.
  15. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

next doors cat:mad::mad::mad::mad:

16. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Did it get a bird?

17. leashedForLife

a pair of cardinals, each still coming separately -
    but they were paired last spring & reared 3 chicks;

2 Blue Jays, already paired;

5 English Sparrows :rolleyes: [can i send them back, please?]

4 Song Sparrows

a grey squirrel & a solid-black melanistic grey squirrel [neither of them wanted, :lol: ]

Compared to yesterday's 10'F wind-chill, today's 30'F clouds & drizzle felt downright balmy.
    I stashed 2 bowls of seed under the shelter of the glass-topped round table to keep them out of the rain;
    THAT's where the squirrels got into the seed, as my feeders are carefully squirrel-proof. :nonod:
    All my fault!

I wanted to give the cardinals a shot at a meal; the doggone sparrows are pigs & thugs.
    I even put an 8-perch bulk feeder out front - the b*ggers still quarrel & fuss! How in H***
    can 5 small birds fight over a feeder with 8 portholes, 2 per side?... I think they just enjoy
    a good squabble. :thumbdown:

The Song Sparrows, BTW, were a polite & cheery little group - completely different behavior.

18. leashedForLife

The same vivid adult-male cardinal cock, & adult cardinal hen, were here -
    when a younger male in less-vivid plumage threatened the hen at the bowl.
    ???

The adult pair haven't begun to court yet - when he offers her food - so i do not know
    if they'll pair this year, but suspect they're the same pair that reared 3 chicks last summer.

so... i put out my second bowl, which is WHITE pottery in a 2-inch deep, fluted-crust shape,
    like a pie-plate. I didn't want to use it, as the bl**dy squirrels were here yest & nicked 2 pieces
    of stale white-wheat Italian bread that i'd tossed on the ground, within 15-minutes...
    & the WHITE bowl is just an obvious sign. :nonod:

I put it hard beside the solid privacy-fence above the concrete retaining wall, in the hope that the fence
    would block the dam*ed squirrels' view... :D it seems to have worked.

But then i realized that the cock-birds were sparring, & the hen was being pestered - poor thing,
    she hardly gets a look-in, the males chase each other, & the adolescent bird chases her.

so i took my big leaf-shaped rain platter, which goes under the rain gutter to ease the downpour out gently,
    & used it as a shallow trough - tomorrow is expected to begin with snow, 4 to 8-inches, turning to RAIN,
    & i wanted the poor birds to have a good feed, today; i'm off to regional weekend & won't be back
    until after 9 or 10 PM, but the skies are spozed to stay clear till 1-AM.

19. catpud

catpud PetForums VIP

Today - feasting on some fat balls I have spotted around 12 house sparrows and two robins :D

I have only been about for an hour of daylight so that's a fair number of visitors.

We have a very healthy house sparrow population here so I never quite believe it when people say their numbers are low but apparently they are.

20. Jonescat

We had a bullfinch today :) Didn't stay long - and looked a bit too closely at the apple tree buds for my liking but he was very beautiful. Also had a blackbird having a bath, refusing to get out for a thirsty sparrow. The BB chased the sparrow off two or three times, and had a really good bath before flying off and letting the poor sparrow drink. Normally everything gives in to the sparrows so he must really have wanted that bath!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice