Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

who has allegies to cats and still has a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by aella851, Aug 4, 2009.

1. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

I was just wondering how many of you have cats and if you are allegic even though you have a cat, Are they moggies or perdigrees if so which breed. Sorry just being nosey

Angela :)

2. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

I appear to be allergic to some cats. I used to have a cat with no problems. We are getting kittens soon and I am hoping I'll be ok.

3. Thomas O'Malley

Thomas O'Malley PetForums Newbie

I'm allergic to most cats but don't seem to be so bad with my BSH boy.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hubby has a cat allergy - worse with moggies better with peds.

We have a short haired moggy, and 3 Birmans at the mo (2 kittens off to their new homes very soon). Hubby finds that if he can last out the first two weeks without having an asthma attack he will be fine and gradually get used to them. We did have two moggy kittens once that nearly killed him he was that allergic to them! They had to go back to the RSPCA and we go two different ones (shorter haired) and he was fine. He is least affected by the Birmans (i.e not at all)

5. Princessiona

Princessiona PetForums Newbie

My boyfriend is allergic to cats but usually ok once he is used to them. We have just got 2 maine coons and so far he is ok!

6. Scoob

Scoob PetForums Member

I'm allergic and I have 2 cats. Ivy is a short haired moggie and Baxter is a semi long haired cross breed, half British Blue, half Ragdoll. We got them at seperate times and I just took antihistamines for the first week and was fine afterwards.

If I'm really tired or run down they will still affect me and I'm currently pregnant so struggling with that and not being able to take the antihistamines so suffering a bit more than normal.

Bax is only 7 months old so his fur is still very fine so its Ivy that tends to set me off rather than him strangely!

Attached Files:

7. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i have 3 cats.. 2 short haired (one cross breed and one moggy) that i am very allergic to and a maine coon who doesnt affect me as badly

8. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

My niece has really bad allergies, particularly to guinea pigs & cats for some reason. I forgot once & took her to a cat rescue with me as a surprise to pick up a rescue I was getting - she was streaming & could hardly breathe, lol!! Sorry - not a nice aunt am I :001_tt2: She was ok when she took an antihistamine! :blushing: She's pretty bad with my cats - I've got two ragdolls & three moggies & she's affected when she comes here, but has since got three cats herself & seems to be ok with them - they're all moggies, two short haired & one semi long. She just fell in love with the first one - a polydactil - & had to have him & it seems that the exposure has desensitised her. She lives in Florida so we don't know if she'll be ok with mine or not yet - be interesting to see when she comes over next. :smilewinkgrin:

9. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I've been allergic to cats since I was a teenager (years ago LOL!) It used to be really bad, but now not as bad. I have 11 cats - 9 of them are persians. I use Petal Cleanse, which helps a lot (when I remember to use it) I also groom other people's cats and find that their cats make me sneeze more than my own. :)

10. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

OMG - you're a gluton for punishment aren't you, lol!! I'm lucky - my allergies are limited to all different sorts of pollen which I can control with antihistamines and or a nose spray. Does seem that some people can work through a cat allergy though if they get a cat - weird - but good :D !!

11. mellie

mellie PetForums Junior

Hi i have a 12 year old black and white moggie looks like felix off the tv! i am allergic to her , but would not part with her for the world love her to bits! no body else in our household has any probs! was not allergic to my aunts sy cat.

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have 3 moggies and am slightly allergic to one of them, I get sneezy so I just avoid too many cuddles with him when he is moulting.

13. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I'm not allergic but I do have asthma that used to be terrible when around cats.

However I began fostering cats for the RSPCA and whilst it was hell at first I found I built up a tollerance and I now have my own Birman who moults a LOT and it never bothers me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice