Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

who else is owned by dobermanns?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tattoogirl73, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

i'm just curious to how many other crazy dobermann obsessed people are on here. i've always wanted a dobermann since i was a kid. the first time i saw one it was being chased down our street by a llittle yorkshire terrier. i found out that he was called bruno, and lived round the corner from me. i 'd always walk the long way home from school or my grans just so i could give this gorgeous boy a fuss. i was gutted when his owners moved. i didn't see another in the flesh until about six years ago.

when we moved in with oh's mam, oh and his sisters discussed getting gsds again. whenever they've not had dogs the house has been broken into. i managed to persuade them into looking at dobermanns, and so we got opie and jax. i wish i'd known about forums like these two years ago, because i wouldn't have gone to what is obvious to me now a byb and certainly would not have got littermates. any dogs that we have in the future will be from rescues. i can't believe how many dobes need to be rehomed. we had to rehome jax because it was just a matter of time before they killed each other. keeping them in separate rooms wasn't an option because of oh's mam having demetia. we were lucky to find jax a good home through our dog trainer. i think sometimes that opie drew the short straw staying with me and my crazy lady. both dogs are so different with out each other and get on great with other dogs. i know it was the right decision, but i always wonder what if?

so what made you fall in love with dobermanns?don't forget to share your pictures. here's some of my boys :)

[​IMG]
    day i chose them

[​IMG]
    first day home

[​IMG]
    fun in the snow before they had their first fight that led to opie having to be sedated to be stitched up :(

[​IMG]
    cuddles with daddy

[​IMG]
    summertime walk

[​IMG]
    sometimes they got on

[​IMG]
    one of the last photos of them together

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    opie and friends now

[​IMG]
    jax now

it's been seven months on the 9th of this month since jax left to live with his new family. i got a text christmas day telling me he's been spoilt, and is well and truely one of the family. i still feel like i let both him and opie down. it's something i'll feel guilty about, but i can't regret it because now they are both becoming the happy and contented dogs that they should have been all along. in a couple of years, we will get opie a never play mate, but in the meantime he's getting all the attention and cuddles we couldn't give him when we had jax for fear of them kicking off at each other because they were jealous of the attention the other was getting :(

Dober likes this.
  2. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

Meeeee

I have max who was adopted by us from the rspca, he's a little toughie is covered in cars, and has a lump on his side we've had checked out.

He's pratically deaf now and his hips are giving him a hard time, he's 12 years old but still acts like 12 months :D

Out of all our dogs max is by far very special and is very aloof.

We have looked at dobermann puppies but feel as max is an old man fetching a puppy in wouldn't be right. :)

We're deffinatley his slaves!

3. Hiafa123

Hiafa123 PetForums Senior

Me too. Ive had dobes for 22 yrs. My love affair was when Magnum PI was on TV and he had Apollo and Zeus. My first was a male rescue (Axle). When he sadly died we got the next day a 10wk old girl. Her parents were brother and sister and paid £20 for her. The woman just wanted rid of them. She was the runt of the litter and lived for 14 yrs. We currently have Hiafa who is 8 yrs old. We kept a bitch from her litter but sadly Cleo had to be PTS due to a brain tumour.

They crave human interaction, love to be up close to you, hate the cold but love to be out in the snow but hate the rain. She currently shares her home with Rocco (4yr old mini dachs and Ellie 12 wk old dachs).Although of the obvious size difference she plays as rough as Rocco wants and is gentle as a lamb with Ellie.

I dont suppose the folk that you got your dobe off said anything about VWD? It worth getting the test done for peace of mind.

4. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Count me in :) Rupert, my 8 month old, is he biggest cuddle bug I've ever met. He loves everyone, dogs and kids, and is very clever and always wants to please.

My favourite thing about him is what we call a 'bear attack'. He's always very quiet in the house, but if you get him excited and shout 'bear attack!!' he goes CRAZY, using the sofa as a spring board and running in circles around the room :) sometimes I'm SURE he does things just too make me laugh too!

Your pics are gorgeous, it must have been suh a hard decision you had to make but it was definatly the right one for everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 Dober, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  5. CKD1

CKD1 PetForums Junior

My love for dobe's started with Nala
    [​IMG]

I can't remember why I chose a Dobe but I'm glad I did. Nala is sadly no longer with us, tragically passed away two years ago to problems with pancreatitis. She was the love my life and miss her more than I can put into words. She taught me so much :001_wub:
    [​IMG]

She was so beautiful, funny and loyal. I never intended to have another Dobe but one found her way here anyway.

Gypsy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's quirky, spring loaded and has brought some balance back to my home :001_wub:

Dober likes this.
  6. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

someone we walk the dogs with has dobbies and always has, he's selling his house at the moment-hope whoever buys it isn't into landscape gardening, there's 6 of them buried in the back garden from over the last 20 years. lovely cuddly monsters, just not fluffy enough for me :)

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I would of been about 6 years old when I saw my first Dobermann. Some people moved in across the road with one. I used to stand in my bedroom watching him play with the kids on the drive. To me he was everything a dog should be and when he barked it filled the whole road. I had to wait quite a while to get my first one back in the late 80s when they had a bad reputation but it was worth the wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

God, I love the pictures!
    Hawksport, what a great picture of the little lad with his rosettes. Both look so proud!
    Dober, where did you buy Rupert's fleece? It looks ace!

There is a Dobe in the park called Wolfgang who is absolutely gorgeous. He isn't interested in Terence AT ALL, but that has never stopped Terence before. :D

9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Amazing pictures of very beautiful dogs!

10. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Thank you! :) we got ours at discover dogs, but you can order them online from a company called equafleece. They make all sorts of great fleecy things.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

What beautiful dobe photos on this thread.

I can second the Equafleece recommendation too Terencesmum - they are great :thumbup1:.

12. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I remember the Equafleece that Kilo has. ;) Wasn't his bright yellow? And doesn't it fit you, Dogless? :D :lol: xx

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That's right; flourescent yellow with mud splatters and I doubt it would fit any more after all the Chrimbo cake I have eaten :eek:: :p.

14. binaryferret

binaryferret PetForums Junior

Damn you all.

Met my first dobe when I was around 8ish as my Grandma has one that was awesome.
    I've been waiting for the right time to get one, and currently keeping my eyes on rescues, although not having much luck - found a beautiful girl, was told she loved dogs and thus went to see her and she was awesome. Few days later took my dog to meet her and she was very skittish, was then told she was very skittish around other dogs - and my dog was a little jumpy so they said she was too scared. I did say I would happily work on her confidence and Jack was being a little bit more hyper due to the unfamiliar surroundings but alas :(

I would like to rescue a Dobermann bitch rather then a puppy but I keep coming across ones that either don't like other dogs, or aren't very good with other dogs, plus they tend to be male instead of female.
    I'll no doubt be looking toward the middle of 2012 if I were to get a puppy. Someone give me a list of decent breeders around north/middle of England PLEASE :)

Keep the pictures coming, this thread is awesome :)

15. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

Such beautiful dogs!
    Naomi xx

16. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Get your post count up to 25 and I will PM you a contact that ill help you find a nice well bred puppy

17. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I love dobes , and it's a breed i would seriously consider owning in future if circumastances were right :D i think i have a thing for black & tan dogs lol but theres always been something about dobes that when i see one it's just :001_wub:
    But i love my little mini version that resembles a dobe at least hehe :D I get so jealous cos i come across quite alot of people with dobes and they just look so stunning and always really well behaved too lol

18. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I checked last week and there were two female dogs in rescue at the dogs trust (not sure which branch) so try definatley come up, but the do move quicker Han males as males are very prone to dog aggression.

Make sure any breeder you go for tests for atleast cardiomyopathy, cervical vertebral instability (CVI), Von Willebrand's disease (VWD) and hip dysplasia. Preferably titles their dogs in confirmation and has paperwork to prove it all.

Some of my favourite uk breeders are Amazon and Arurara, but going to shows is the best way to find someone IMO :) good luck in your search, please feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Edit// sorry, preferably titles in conformation, working sports or agility, and must is he paper work to prove it :) darn phone typing!

#18 Dober, Jan 5, 2012
  19. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Sadly no Dobes here:(

But one day I will have one, for sure!:) they are a breed I've always admired! Brilliant, lovely dogs with such great personalities:) although I'm going to keep building on my experience with dogs until when i move out I'll be able to have my own.

20. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

stunning dogs everyone, i love dobes they look so strong and powerful. Its nice to see people who still love the breed with a tail (and normal ears) as recently ive heard people (Not on this form, just people who walk there dogs near me and another forum) say things like 'what a shame about the tail' and one person i know is having a puppy imported just so he can have the dobes ears cropped! its like no they still look beautiful and allways will :D edited to say if any of you have dobes with docked tailes no offence intended as i understand some may have working dogs or in my case a dog older then the law so was already docked when we bought him

#20 vet-2-b, Jan 5, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice