Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Who does the travelling?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Emmastace, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I am absolutely NOT thinking of breeding but just wondered........does the dog go to the bitch or the other way around and why?

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

usually the bitch goes to the dog, i believe it's generally felt a stud will "perform" better if he's on home turf, as he's more relaxed :) there are times a stud will travel but it's usually for exceptional circumstances :)

3. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Yes, usually it's the bitch that does the travelling. The only times I know when the male has traveled to the bitch is when it's a long trip (usually international and takes more than a couple of days) or when the male comes to a different country because more than one breeder wants to use him as a stud.

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

There are many factors come into play -

I've had bitches come here (long distance) and would ensure they bring help and that I've got help here - but one local bitch I went to them - why?

Because they wanted the matings during the day for practical reasons when I'm at home with all the dogs - it really wasn't a scenario I felt manageable.

My OH couldn't take the time off work to help out and neither could my "stud buddy" - so for purely practical purposes I went out to the bitch owner (she had a litter of 10) - I will view the litter at 6/7 weeks regardless of location and the same with people I've mentored - regardless of whether they've used my stud dog.

A friend wanted to use one of my boys but we struggled to get a mating - so some friends came to help us out and brought a back-up stud dog (she had a litter of 5).

Sometimes bitch owners stay at the studs - personally I'd want to be with my girl throughout and really don't think I could leave them anywhere

Similarly - I've read of instances on this site when the stud dog has gone to stay with the bitch owner (usually novice breeders) who's managed the matings themselves.

I can't see too many reasons for that and would usually see it as being when breeders know each other very well and the breeders are experienced stud handlers themselves - I've also known it happen with overseas stud dogs for practical reasons - but again - everyone knew one another.

If anything - one of my boys performed better away from home - probably because he was "bottom of the pecking order" with all the bitches and knew they were all out of bounds to him.

So in answer to your query - yes - it is usual for the bitch to go to the stud owner - but there will sometimes be exceptions to the rule - some perfectly acceptable - others somewhat questionable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice