UK Pet Forums Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
We don't breed for length, or indeed weight. We breed for healthy, type, and temperament. If you approach any breeder looking for a "big" Maine Coon, you'll get a no at best or no response at all.

Doesn't the GCCF SOP ask for a large cat that is rectangular (i.e. long in the body) in shape?
Indeed it does, though anything not square is a rectangle :) But many breeds should have back legs longer than front, and I'm guessing that's not the case for the MCO:

General Type description
The Maine Coon is a semi-longhaired cat of medium Foreign type and is distinguished by its large size, bone structure, rectangular appearance and flowing coat. The Maine Coon evolved as a working domesticated cat in a rural environment; this role is reflected in a muscular cat of rugged outdoor appearance with a characteristic weatherproof coat and the demeanour of an alert capable hunter.

https://www.gccfcats.org/Portals/0/MaineCoon.SOP.Template.pdf?ver=2018-06-28-094731-127

Doesn't the GCCF SOP ask for a large cat that is rectangular (ie long in the body) in shape?
Rectangular doesn't refer to the length of the body but rather the overall shape and form. The rump particularly should be rectangular in shape. MCs are not judged on their size, I've seen first hand judge deliberations in stewarding. Type always comes before size, or rather it should. The biggest cat doesn't always win on the day.

Rectangular doesn't refer to the length of the body but rather the overall shape and form. The rump particularly should be rectangular in shape. MCs are not judged on their size, I've seen first hand judge deliberations in stewarding. Type always comes before size, or rather it should. The biggest cat doesn't always win on the day.
In my experience a judge faced with a good type cat that is too small may well withhold the certificate. It's true, the biggest cat might well not win, but the winner will be of adequate size and substance. I've seen this happen, and whilst with another breed that judge would (correctly IMHO) withhold on any cat which was rather undersize for it's age & sex.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.