Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

White stuff in eyes

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dukey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Hi

Duke does get 'gunky eyes' but the last few days I've noticed a much firmer white/cream colour substance in his eyes and nose. Its not like pus, its sort of similar to paper in the thickness.

I have seen this in his nose a few times, actually in the corner of his eye and this morning he had some just outside the eye.

Its always like one piece and once thats removed theres no residue left, I just cant work out if its something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you gently pull down his lower eyelid is there any sign of redness? If you are in doubt a vet visit is best.

3. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Hi

Thanks for your reply. No if I gently pull his lid its not red, sort of a flesh/very light pink colour and looks clean in there

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It could just be a discharge due to drainage problems. Does he have quite a short nose (e.g. like the nose of a BSH perhaps?). Best thing is to gently clean away the stuff with a clean cosmetic pad and some cooled boiled water.
    (But don't use your finger or thumb as it could cause an infection.)

EDIT -- just looked at your pic of him, and yes, it does appear he has a short nose.:)

5. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Thanks chillminx

His nose is quite short yes, he is a persian cross but luckily its not a flat nose as such! Will bathe as suggested :)

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

7. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Oh thank you :)

I'm such a proud mummy! Love him to pieces <3

Today have ended up taking in a stray though, seeing the vets at 5:30 so will have to wait and see if Duke is no longer to be an only child!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice