Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

White Dogs Can't Jump

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 21, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie's now 8 months (today in fact) and she's a pretty active dog, but she hasn't ever figured out how to jump. It's actually quite handy because it means she can't get on the sofa or bed by herself :D but I'd quite like to do agility with her when she's older. I'm sure I could probably teach her to jump somehow, but it's not really a big deal right now.

I'm just wondering if she's 'special' :eek: or if there's other dogs out there that haven't figured out how to jump either?

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

That's the sweetest thing EVER :eek: :eek:

Bumby was always a jumper :rolleyes:

xxxx

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Maybe it is a white dog thing, Heidi is mainly black, tan and white (so mixed race!!) and has always jumped. In fact she has perfected that JRT bounce that is terribly annoying at feeding and walking time!!
    All my others jump so Id say you have a very 'special' little girl!!LOL:D

TBH Id rather mine didnt. Ive lost count of the times Ive winced coz they jumped up to the sofa and fell off or thrown themselves off it with an enormous leap..:(

4. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Aw bless, maybe she is being lazy and just wants you to pick her up!? My puppy jumps up for her toys and onto the sofa etc so yours is differently "special" :)

5. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

differently? I mean definately!

6. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

how gorgeous!! its not a white dog thing sadly cos my white mental hound leaps wildly... she has jumped up & headbutted people :eek:

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Mavis can jump :D
    she does this funny thing when she wants something and sort of jumps up in the air off all four feet like on a spring

8. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

willow is hilarious, she jumps so she stands on her back legs :D

9. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

Aw how sweet! I'd love to do agility too but it's not all jumping so you might be fine once your doing it?

Flynn's a springy little bugger. Wish he had an off switch sometimes!! Ha ha!

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Special I think (in the best possible way) :).

11. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Bella my white EBT can't jump for her life! :rolleyes:
    Saying that though, when she gets exited and does mad laps of the garden her bag legs fly and she's jumping around like a pixie! :rolleyes:
    :D

12. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Maybe it's a "young dog not figured it out thing".

Poppy never jumped nor did she "do stairs" in any way, shape or form. She would wait at the bottom of the stairs for us to come down again.

Cue one day, probably about when she was 6 or 7 months old, when our son looked after her for about 5 hours one day. When we got back we were told "Poppy can get down the stairs to the kitchen". Their kitchen is in the basement and as their dogs' food is left down all day for them to graze I was very grateful that Poppy didn't go down as she's fed and if it's not gone in 20 minutes it's taken away (no chance of any being left now though :D). I didn't want her snacking on their food as they use a brand I would not touch. Now if we go round there it's one of the first things she does, she obviously remembers there's always food down there.

When we got home that day she suddenly jumped up on our sofa :eek: we were gobsmacked. I rang son and told him and he said "Oh yeah, she did that here". They have a nutty labradoodle plus Poppy's litter sister, both basically untrained, crazy, don't get taken for proper walks or runs on the beach and tear round their lounge jumping on and off the sofas.

So two things we would never have taught learned in one short session round at son's house. Needless to say it's a very rare occasion when I ask if she can be looked after by them, I'd rather she came wherever we're going and be sick in the car!

Happy 8 month birthday Kenzie, and yes you ARE special.

13. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

I have to say just how gorgeous Flynn is... id love a little cuddle!

Kenzie is a little beauty too of course :D

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

ahhh..the crazy bullie run...eeeeekkk watch out!!!!!

15. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Bobby constantly jumps on sofa took him while to figure it out tho if its too high he will paw your leg till you lift him :D

16. frodos_electric_guitar

frodos_electric_guitar PetForums Member

Aw how cute! :) Part dog, part dalek. :D Enjoy it while it lasts, because at a guess your dog will figure it out eventually hehe.

17. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

He'd love that! He is very cuddly - and wriggly!

18. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Biscuit does that on walks sometimes, hilarious to watch. She also does this cross between a bunny hop and skipping at first whenever I let her off the lead. Like a happy dance. She didn't do stairs indoors till about 5mths and wouldn't do our deck stairs till she was 7mths - they were a little scary for her.

Maybe Kenzie just likes to be lifted?

19. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

where do you live? pleaseeeeeee say its within cuddling distance! hes sooo beautiful i love to have doggy cuddles- all the better if he is happy about it too!

20. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I think Kenzie can jump perfectly well, she just has it sussed that she doesn't have to, because you will lift her :p

Typical flippin' Westie, stubborn to the bone :rolleyes: :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice