Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

White Bulge on Goldfish Eyelid?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by carly.aphelion, May 10, 2019.

1. carly.aphelion

carly.aphelion PetForums Newbie

Recently, my 7 1/2 year comet has developed a white bulge above her eye. Ori (another goldfish who was acquired 2 weeks ago) was isolated for week, then transferred to Morgana (comet’s) tank. He started nipping at her tail and fins so after a couple of days he was placed back into quarantine - until her fins heal up, then we’ll see how he does on a second chance. The bulge could just be colour change, but maybe parasite or sign of stress??

Here are some stats...
    • 120litre tank for Ghana.
    • Internal filter with carbon.
    • Ghana has been in this tank for around 4 years.
    • Test strips say water parameters are fine
    • Water changed last on the 4th May 2019
    • Tank has assorted gravel and various plants
    • No chemical media (apart from tapsafe and aquarium salt)
    • Just Morgana is in the tank at the moment, but we put another goldfish in there around two weeks ago, who now is in a quarantine 48l tank due to fin biting, until her tail heals up.
    • There are live plants in the tank
    • Morgana (a 7 1/2 yr old comet) has recently developed a white bulge on her ‘eyelid’.
    There are some captioned photos attatched - hope they’re useful!
    7DFDB66F-4EA4-4B1A-8019-F6780452B8B4.jpeg
    AD19DBE3-71AB-447A-8921-2563421DD05D.jpeg
    D1CE76DA-5D8B-4AFC-82C9-FC876B311BE0.jpeg
    141348AF-6FA5-4231-8281-4D25070526F5.jpeg

Would absolutely appreaciate any advice/diagnosis - love my goldfish :))
    -C

Ps. Pretty sure she’s a comet - she could just be a regular goldfish?

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I'm not great with diagnosing illnesses, so hopefully you'll get some other advice on that shortly! The only thing that occurs to me is it could possibly be just an injury, or maaaaybe something like popeye?

I thought I would mention though, that it would be a good idea to invest in a liquid test kit rather than the strips as the strips are pretty notorious for being inaccurate. A liquid kit would give you a better idea of what your parameters are really like.

Also, your tank is really on the small side for even one goldfish, especially single tails like comets. It's generally recommended that they have around 150 litres per fish as they can grow to over a foot long. Most experienced goldfish keepers won't keep them in anything less than a 5-6 foot long tank or even better, a pond. From the pictures Morgana does look quite small for her age, so her growth may be a bit stunted which will put extra stress on her body in general.

How much water are you changing and how often?

NaomiM, carly.aphelion and kittih like this.
  3. carly.aphelion

Thanks for replying so quickly!
    Could be an injury? There’s not many sharp things in the tank (gravel? Precious other goldfish), but injury is a possibility? Popeye could also be the problem (it is in just one eye?), how would someone go about treating if it is definitely the cause?

We will get a water test kit, but that probably won’t arrive for a while.

The water gets around a 20% change per week.

Thanks again!

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.

I agree with all the comments made by magpi , unfortunately your tank is too small for one goldfish let alone two.

It sounds like the new goldfish has been picking on your original fish. Do you know for sure the sex of each fish? Some fish can be "bullies" and pester their tank mates. Males can also pester females which is why I was asking about the gender of each fish.

Given the shredded tail it is likely that the eye injury has also been caused by the actions of the second fish. The good news is neither injury looks to bad and both should heal fine in good water conditions. You could get some melafix to treat the water as a general treatment if you like but keeping water conditions perfect are most important for healing.

If you cannot yet afford to get a larger tank then I do recommend getting a large external filter as a first step. They can be picked up second hand easily and wiincrease the water volume overall as well as the filtering capacity which will help keep ammonia and nitrite at zero. I have two externals on my troical tank which is probably a bit of overkill but, apart from an unforeseen powercut the filters have more than coped with everything.

When you decide to reintroduce the other fish it may be worth setting up the tank decor so there are lots of hiding spaces and line of sight is broken across the tank. In small spaces especially bullying can be a problem and some fish can pick on other fish just because it is something to do. Making the tank an interesting environment to explore is good and keep idle fins busy.

Goldfish, especially common goldfish are big messy fish who produce a large amount of waste. They grow up to a foot long in proper conditions with a girth to match. They live for 25 to 40 years so are a long term commitment.

NaomiM, carly.aphelion and magpie like this.
  5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I'd probably think about increasing your water changes too. As @kittih says, keeping the water quality pristine is the best treatment, and you may find (once you get the liquid test kit) that your current regime isn't enough. My goldfish tank is well-stocked (not overstocked) and I still do 70-80% water changes every week to keep nitrates down.

carly.aphelion and kittih like this.
  6. carly.aphelion

Hi guys, I really appreciate y’alls replying!

I have been lookin for larger tanks on second hand websites (might not be possible though, but sure do want to try!!!)

Do not know the gender of each fish, tried to figure it out over few years but I’m not still not sure. Pretty sure that new goldfish was bullying Morgana though - thoughts that the isolation/quarantine would calm them down. Moriarty (new fish) was fin nipping... she wasn’t swimming away though, I think ‘he’s’ faster than ‘her’, but she’s not idle/bored looking: she swims around and ‘dances’ for food.

Currently, the tank has a 130l/hour internal cartridge filter, I think, but will look into external filter (I have seen them before in YouTube videos).

I have some goldfish toys,
    but heard that the painted ones are bad for goldfish as paint comes off? Tried pet store driftwood (but went a bit weird in tank - after it had been throughly rinsed/cleaned - so had to remove). Was thinking about aquiring more plants anyway, would this help?

I really should do more water changes - would 2 a week at 30% be sufficient at the moment?

Thanks so much @magpie and @kittih !

magpie likes this.
  7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

For second hand tanks, if you are on Facebook, join some local fish keeping groups. There are always tanks available and some really great bargains!

I would go for more live plants over any other kind of decor, they are beneficial and goldies can't hurt themselves on them. I had to remove my driftwood as my fish kept scraping scales off when they swam against it, goldfish are very good at injuring themselves on anything even remotely sharp or rough :rolleyes:

Yep, more water changes never hurts, so long as you always use tapsafe/dechlorinator and make sure the temperature matches :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice