Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whistle

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hanwombat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Can anyone recommend a good whistle? I am thinking about getting one to use for training Io for such things as recall.

Just wanted to know of any recommendations as they're millions of whistles, some better than others.

2. Frollie

Frollie PetForums Senior

I use an Acme whistle and have never had any problem with it.

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Any whistle will do

Decide whether you want to use a

referee whistle
    gundog whistle
    Sheepdog whistle

Then decide what pitch (in the case of a gundog whistle)

Then decide what commands you want it for

Then decide how many "pips" etc you need for each (or tune in the case of a sheepdog whistle)

Then introduct it correctly ie use it before the "known" verbal or hand signal.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

To be honest I don't think it really matters. If you are going to use it specifically for recall, I usually start using it indoors first, with high value treats, literally just walking around and for each "blow" immediately treat at first, they should follow you around, just whistle/treat. After a couple of sessions doing that, I usually test it further, when they are in the garden sniffing around, by standing by the back door and whistling and then treat when they come, again when that's sound, then try it from inside the house, when they come then treat.

Once that's all OK I then start to use it outside.

5. Mumtomaddog

Mumtomaddog PetForums VIP

I used a whistle on my old Springer, it was a bog standard PE type whistle, you know the kind that PE teachers used to hang round their necks. not sure they do that anymore!. It more than did the job, as soon as he saw the whistle he was like "yeah. we're gonna have some fun!!" it worked fine and for a fraction of the cost of 'proper' whistles.

I wanted a whitle for Max.. i got a whiz click one from P at H. Its a whistle and clicker combined, Figured it would free up some hand space for me. In all honesty the whistle isnt that great, BUT thats what i think. Maybe Max hears it totally different to me :) Was quite pricey really thinking bout it, considering i probably only paid a quid or so for my regular whistle LOL
    I began by the whistling and treating and now whenever (not too often cos he's like my shadow!!) Max is not near me i give a blast and he comes dashing in, usually with so much excitement that he goes skidding all over the wood and tiled floors!..
    Im trying to whistle train in to recall, but i tend to take him on the longest walks when its still early, so i wish id maybe got one of those silent whistles so that i dont wake the whole neighbourhood... just the ones that 'want' to hear it. I do rather have visions of all the dogs going mad in their houses and their owners wondering why :confused: LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice