Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whiskas vs Bozita

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by saxa21, Jun 1, 2010.

1. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I've been feeding my boys Bozita since they were kittens (they are 1 year old now). Recently we run out of food and we bought Whiskas New grilled poultry selection to go by for like 3-4 days until delivery arrives.
    I was shocked that my boys SCOOFED if all down in one go and still demanded more.

Do you think I shall leave them on Whiskas as they just love it. I also feed them Orijen, Akana & RC dry food, which has got 75-85% meat content.

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I think there's a lot of additives and ingredients like sugar in Whiskas if I remember correctly - so it probably tastes nice. But so does chocolate but we can't have that for tea. :D

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

macdonalds is so popular because junk food tastes good..... its the same reason that the likes of whiskas/felix/kittykat are highly palatable for cats but are in essence junk!

Stick to the bozita (or perhaps try another high meat content food if you want some variation).

4. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

My two love Whiskers pouches and it's the only food I can get away with disguising my cat's medication in! It doesn't say anything about added sugars on the box, but some other brands do. However, I have recently written to them asking about sugars, cereals etc as I have a cat who suffers from cystitis and I'm having a go at cutting various ingredients out. I will let you know what they say.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Tobacat, if you are keen to strip out ingredients to get a grip on your cat's cystitis, then have you considered feeding raw? Quite a lot of people feed raw successfully to cats with cystitis. Might be worth a try!

6. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I think you are right, sugar is addictive, I should stick to bozita. I also bought 30 cans of smilla with about 60% meat and they did not want to touch it!

7. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

TBH, some of these "high quality" foods are ridiculously overpriced for what they are, raw feeding is definitely a better alternative and can work out cheaper!

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I think you are right Elmstar - feeding raw is a great way to feed your cat and CAN work out cheaper.

But that depends on where you get your meet from, whether you would prefer your cat to eat organic or free-range food, whether you make up your own food (and know how to), whether you are prepared to handle raw meat (and get over all the damning myths that surround raw food) and whether you have freezer. And most importantly of all, whether your cats eat it!

There are some really 'proper' high-quality wet cat foods out there that don't cost the earth (unfortunately, most of them are not available in the UK) because you don't need to feed a lot. Unfortunately, they tend to be pates and quite a lot of cats seem to have an issue with pate food.

I do agree though that the ones that brand themselves as "natural" wet cat foods are the ones that are horrendously over-priced for what they are (cooked meat and broth with a little rice). To my mind, these are not the high-quality ones though as they are not complete.

9. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

Do they really add sugar?

I heard that cats have little, if any taste buds that react to sugar, so it wouldn't help to make the food palatable.

I thought the additives were often in other carbohydrate forms, rather than simple sugar.

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

As far as I know, the pet industry uses sugar not to make the food more tasty but to add to the consistency of their food (makes it more shiny apparently).

There is no proven link between sugar and bad dental health in cats but why bother?

11. Shabbydoll

Shabbydoll PetForums Member

The only thing is if you choose to go on a strictly raw diet and are not going with commercial brands make sure you follow a recipe that has enough nutrients. I have posted this before but in case you haven't heard of this site,here goes: Feeding Your Cat   Know the Basi

12. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

My cat is one of those weird cats that couldn't be bothered about food, she eats what she needs and usually leaves some behind, never begs and will refuse to eat any sort of scraps (if you count fresh ham, chicken, liver or steak as scraps :rolleyes:), yet when she hears a pouch of whiskas being opened its like its another cat, she'd nearly have it gone by the time it hits the bowl. I call it kitty crack! :D Only ever gets it the very odd time we run out of food.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but would anyone be able to reccommend a good food that comes in small tins or pouches? Im feeding her applaws at the moment but thinking about changing, but the problem is it already takes her 2 days to get through a little tiny tin, and all other foods seem to come in big tins but it would take her nearly a week to get through one by which time it would be well gone off. Anyone any ideas? Im thinking about these: Schesir Cans zooplus sale: Schesir Small 6x 50g Yarrah Organic canned cat Food at zooplus: Yarrah Wellness Pâté 6 x 100 g Great Deals on Animonda Canned Cat Food at Zooplus: Animonda Carny Adult 6 x 200 g

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Dee o gee, you could try Porta 21 - they do small tins, mainly with tuna but there also a few chicken ones. 65% meat. On zooplus. It is a complete food but really light on fat. You could always see whether you could mix in some goose fat to bump up the fat content. They also do pouches, that are frequently in a by 10 get 2 free.

Zooplus also do Schmusy - which is pure meat in jelly. They do Vollwertflakes, which is 80% meat and animal byproducts, and some rice in pouches (though it may not be a full 100% of chicken that makes up the 80% meat (if that makes sense). Again, a variety of flavours. This is also a complete food.

There is also Cosma Original - that comes in a 85g tin and is shredded meat like applaws also in broth and a little rice. 45% meat. Like applaws it is not a complete food. Well, let's qualify that. The cosma original chicken and salmon are complementary (treat) food, the cosma original tuna and seasomething are complete food. Why they couldn't just include minerals and vits in all four flavours defies me! They also do a thai mix but that is complementary.

Schesir - again shredded meat in broth, with a great selection of chicken and tuna flavours Comes in 85 g tins and 6 are £4.79 - so not cheaper than applaws. About 60% meat but like applaws and co light on fat; so you should really bump it up with some additional fat. Most annoying packaging though - a small tin with its own cardboard sleeve! What a waste.

Yarrah and Carny are pate food - not sure whether your cat eats that. Having said that Yarrah do a chunks in gravy tray as well as their wellness pate trays. Yarrah contains cereals of some description but is organically produced and has got a meat content of around 50%.

Carny (only the meat ones are complete; the fish flavours are a treat food) is according to the manufacturers made from 100% meat (the label says meat and animal by-products; minerals).

If they ate pate then perhaps also have a look at Grau. Grau contains 89% meat and 4% wholegrain rice but as I have said somewhere else it is one of the only few foods left that is made from the meat from one animal - not a mix (so a lamb tin only contains lamb; beef only contains beef etc); with the exception of tuna, which contains tuna and beef. Because it is such high grade food (apart from the 4% of wholegrain rice), you only need to feed very little (an average size cat needs about 200g of grau).

Hope that helps!

14. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

I would say Porta 21 too, nothing disapereas as fast and the bowl is licked clean as with Porta and i have tryed pretty much everything that Hobbs suggesting above.

15. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I think Cosma is great, just my two rascals wont touch it! Just donated 30 cans to RSPCA :/

We still feeding them whiskas.....thye love it but we will alternated with Bozita. Whiskas in the morning and Bozita in the evening.

Quality food cost....LOL but its CHEAPER than whiskas. We buy 2 boxes for £5 and it lasts 6 days fro both of my cats. makes me laugh when they write "Succulent grilled poultry"....what poultry ad there is only 4% meat LOL

16. mummiesofRio

mummiesofRio PetForums Member

I'd stick to the better stuff, personally. Rio was really ill as a kitten & we tried all kinds of food, i think we actually tried every type there possibly is, in order to get him to eat. Anyway, he loved whiskas & up until now, that's what he's eaten. BUT now we're trying to get him onto better quality food (the whiskas was only a temporary thing to get his weight up & get him eating again) he's having none of it, it's obviously not got much taste compared to all the flavourings & things that are in the whiskas. So my advice would be not to encourage it because once it's gone on for a while, it'll be a bloomin' nightmare to convert them back to the better stuff!!

17. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I know what you mean. For example when we run out of Bozita we bought felix as a temporary foord for about 3 days. They did not touch it. Even the homeless two cats we are feeding dont wanna touch it! Buy they go crazy for whiskas! Especially the new one, called grilled poultry selection.

We do buy very good quality dry food, orijen & akana to compensate for whiskas at the moment. My boys are very pracicular as they will only eat jelly stuff.

18. mummiesofRio

mummiesofRio PetForums Member

Rio will only eat things in gravy....most cat foods we've seen are in jelly but if we give him any of that he sniffs it, looks at us & miaows as if 'erm, mum, where's my gravy?!' so fussy!! no....spoilt!! that's what it is!! he knows he's got us wrapped around his little paw!!

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Have you tried Bozita in gravy? Chunks like Whiskas but 93% meat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice