UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have 2 cats and they have been eating Whiska's for years, but we recently bought their usual food (well thought it was!), then the cats were acting strange, seemed to not be eating as much and sleeping in, in the morning, rather than trying to wake me up in the morning.

I just thought he's acting a bit strange, noticed it more on one more than the other, only really noticed after a few days, he seemed ok then, but then he went really strange and the strange behaviour lasted for about a day. He wasn't coming to see us and seemed scared. I said to my partner were keep and eye on him and if he's still like it, we take him to the vets.

Later that same day my partner said it's a new recipe and the yellow tasty bits aren't in it anymore, is this to save money for Whiskas?. so off we went to see if we could get their old food, no none there except tuna one with bits. My cats are happy to eat that, before though it was the chicken flavour, but their all gone.

I'm worried that the tuna one will be replaced with a new recipe and then I don't know what to feed my cats, as they loved the bits in it. Do I have to buy separate Dreamies (tasty treats) to mix in, that would be trial and error.

Why have whiskas done this, do others feel the same (cats)?.

Or any helpful advice or tips to get around this, or if enough people tell Whiskas they may revert back!.

Many thanks

Lor

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I wouldn't think that behaviour could be caused by the food, they just wouldn't eat it if they didn't like it, or thought there was something wrong with it.

Sounds more like something has scared them, I hope it was just a temporary scare.

If the food made them feel ill then yes it could be connected, but are they acting normally again by now? :confused:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I wouldn't have thought the change in recipe has done that sudden change in behaviour but I'm no expert.
I'd try changing from Whiskas if you can as its not great nutritionally for them. Try a new food now it's changed and see how they get on.
How old are they btw?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well maybe not scared perhaps just staring a bit and not being so friendly, not sure how to explain it. But now we have the Tuna Whiskas with the bits they are acting completely normal.

Re: changing cat food, they are happy with this one, don't know what they would want to eat instead and they may not like any of it.

I'm quite sure it's the food now.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
well maybe not scared perhaps just staring a bit and not being so friendly, not sure how to explain it. But now we have the Tuna Whiskas with the bits they are acting completely normal.

Re: changing cat food, they are happy with this one, don't know what they would want to eat instead and they may not like any of it.

I'm quite sure it's the food now.
To draw an analogy, a person might live very happily on ice cream and chocolate cake but few people would consider it an ideal diet, so liking it alone, is not necessarily an indicator of a healthy diet. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my 2 cats have gone off Whiskas recently too, they not impressed with the dry food now it doesn't have the meaty nuggets in it and they won't eat the wet food which they used to love. Pretty sure they not ill as they are eating tuna and chicken and the last of the dry food with the nuggets. If I'd known they were going to change recipe I would of stocked up and gradually mixed it in with new recipe to get them used to it. Have tried other brands but they not interested, they have always had Whiskas as it's what they were used to when I got them from the shelter. Hopefully Whiskas bring back the old recipe!

·
Registered
12,697 Posts
Hi All,

I have 2 cats and they have been eating Whiska's for years, but we recently bought their usual food (well thought it was!), then the cats were acting strange, seemed to not be eating as much and sleeping in, in the morning, rather than trying to wake me up in the morning.

I just thought he's acting a bit strange, noticed it more on one more than the other, only really noticed after a few days, he seemed ok then, but then he went really strange and the strange behaviour lasted for about a day. He wasn't coming to see us and seemed scared. I said to my partner were keep and eye on him and if he's still like it, we take him to the vets.

Later that same day my partner said it's a new recipe and the yellow tasty bits aren't in it anymore, is this to save money for Whiskas?. so off we went to see if we could get their old food, no none there except tuna one with bits. My cats are happy to eat that, before though it was the chicken flavour, but their all gone.

I'm worried that the tuna one will be replaced with a new recipe and then I don't know what to feed my cats, as they loved the bits in it. Do I have to buy separate Dreamies (tasty treats) to mix in, that would be trial and error.

Why have whiskas done this, do others feel the same (cats)?.

Or any helpful advice or tips to get around this, or if enough people tell Whiskas they may revert back!.

Many thanks

Lor
Yep, you are clearly talking about the dry food and it was reduced a lot at my local Tesco, and silly me, I bought five x 2kg bags of the stuff. . . eye for a bargain and all that. Normally they get thro' a small dispenser every two days but it's lasted twice that as nobody is eating it. Like you, I buy it in preference to Go Cat dry as it's got those highly addictive little yellow bits (think they must be full of weed) which they love and it gets them eating the rest. I got tuna and chicken and both looked a bit strange then I realised that the little yellow pockets weren't there. Yar boo hiss!!! No, bet they have done that to make them cheaper and hence delay putting the price up...but I looked at the picture on the bag which which used to show the yellow addictive bits and they are not there so I guess it's the end of the line! I dug out some cheap Waitrose ones which my son got once by mistake and they seem to prefer those. They have done the same to the tuna ones here. On the bag, to be fair it says "NEW RECIPE" but it does not say "NEW CRAPPY RECIPE WITHOUT THE BEST BITS". Whatever shall we do? :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have trusted Whiskas for years! I have 7 cats and not one of them likes the new dry recipe! It just sits in their bowls and goes to waste.

Now they have taken to my kitchen worktops to 'hunt' for something tasty ( a change in behaviour) and are quite lethargic and miserable. One of my cats is staying out all night to catch mice and has become spiteful towards the others! :(

I googled the 'Whiskas' website and have left feedback on this quoting their "8/10 cats prefer whiskas" is no more as 7/7 can't stand it anymore!

If you are not happy let them know as they may change it back. In the meantime I shall try 'Go-Cat' and if all fails then will have to switch to a science plan which is going to cost the earth!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello,

Please don't switch to Science Plan (or any other dry food). I fed Science Plan to my cats for years until one of them became diabetic.... I feel angry at the makers for promoting this nonsense, and angrier at myself for not having the common sense to realise that cats can't live on cereal any more than a child can live on biscuits and crisps...

Please have a read of the following link:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

You can buy good quality meat-based foods like 'Bozita' and others from Zooplus and - even including delivery - it'll probably cost you no more than cat food from your local supermarket...

·
Registered
1 Posts
So weird you say that because one of my two cats is extremely upset about the new "improved" recipe. He just keeps on meowing me through to where his food bowls are and looking at the new biscuits in disgust and is mostly refusing to eat them. His behavior has changed since, he just seems less satisfied with the world :(
I really do not know what to do, there are none of the old recipe in any of the supermarkets near by... I guess I will ahve to keep trying different biscuits until I find some that they will like... If anyone could please message me or reply to this when a solution has been found I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I just wanted to point out to some of you that just joined the forum that Whiskas is not very good quality food and that for that price you could be getting wet food with a much higher meat content and all the other necessary food proportions. The fact that supermarket stocks something doesn´t make it the best choice. Also cats are obligate carnivores, simply reading the constituents of the dry food you are feeding, you should be able to see that, listing cereals as the nº 1 ingredient can´t at all be healthy. Maybe now you are buying cheap food but later you might have to pay huge vet bills for health problems derived from unhealthy feeding. If you research a little you will find that experts don´t advice such foods.

·
Registered
12,697 Posts
Mine have dry alongside the wet food, just so they have something there to graze on if they get hungry in the night. I think a totally dry diet is unsuitable for cats tho...it's to do with the type of carbohydrate in the dry which releases the glucose more quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.