Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whiskas Cat Food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by johnrossthomoson, Jul 9, 2009.

1. johnrossthomoson

johnrossthomoson PetForums Newbie

Does anybody else here feed Whiskas to their cat? If so what is good about it, if not why not?

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I don't. The smell of the litter tray after feeding it is enough on its own to never buy it again...

3. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Hello, welcome to the forum.

I used to feed my cats both whiskas and felix and have recently switched to tesco own luxury wet food. It is a really good price (£3.91 or 12 pouches) for having over 50% real chicken, as appose to whiskas/felix only having 4%.
    Or tesco own pate selection this has over 60% real meat and it's only 22p per portion.

I also used to give them dry whiskas but have changed to Iams and they love that too.

It is your own personal choice what you feed your animals but it stands to reason that higher meat content must be better for them.

Since I have changed their food I have noticed that their coats are shinier and they seem to have more energy, much more hilarious chasing games!

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I don't as many know. Why not? Because it is only 4% meat and I don't want to feed my cat something that has 95% ingredients that my cat can't digest properly and so I am paying for them to poop it out again. I feed 50%+ meat.

5. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

We say Whiskas is like McDonalds for cats!! :D

They do wolf it down but its made up of a lot of fillers.

6. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

It's rubbish only 4% meat you should try Naturals menus which is 70% meat :thumbup1:

7. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

We have hi-life in our house. The hi-life perfection looks good enough to eat :D

8. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I realise that I'm risking the wrath of the 50%+ers but yes we use Whiskas most of the time. The good thing is that it's relatively cheap and the cats seem to enjoy it. When you have 20+ cats it's not always possible to give them higher meet quantity foods. We do however feed them raw chicken wings and raw mince occasionally and buy the higher meat content foods if they're on offer. We also have RC dry food down for them.

9. I always have some in... its good for ecouraging a cat to eat when they first arrive, and the jelly can be rubbed onto weak cats gums to give them a boost.

Other than that - i cant stand the stuff, full of crap - certainly not a quality food.

For less money i can buy asda select at 60% real meat, or feline fayre, or forthglade... all of which are much much better quality and cost less!

10. badbudgie

Always a touchy subject! I am now sold on the whole 50% and above meat thing, my cats seem much healthier and that is only in a week.

They aren't sleeping as much, maybe the poor contact of felix was making them lethargic? Or it could be just me seeing what I want to see.

But at the end of the day, you are better giving a cat a home an feeding them whiskas for the rest of it's life than the cat not having a home at all.

It's personal choice I would say.

1 person likes this.
  11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I so totally agree!!!! Whiskas is better than starvation!

12. kath123

kath123 Guest

I feed my sasha whiskas and have for a good few months now, but she has gone off it again which she seems to do with all food.

I have tried the tesco luxury and felix and every single food on the market, she will eat it for a few weeks and then go off it.

I feed my cat what she will eat not what is in the food!!!! She is a healthy 2 yr old girl with long shiny fur and is very happy regardless of what i feed her.

13. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Sorry to ask this but being relatively new to cat owning.
    Could someone tell me if this is a common thing with cats as since we have had Candy(May 29th) she also seems to go from one food to another ?.

14. kath123

kath123 Guest

I have been asking the same question and all i get told is not to keep changing her food, but i have too as she wont eat it. I have just given her felix the morning as had it in the cupboard, she has had 2 mouthfuls and walked away.

I do not know what to do about it!!!! :(

15. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

The only reason not to change your cats food too often is if the he\she gets diarrhea, if your cat is ok then don't worry and keep changing.

We all like a change in diet now and again and I'm sure cats are no different.

16. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

cats like to mix & match and change food often, which is why they go from one to another :)

17. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

AHH everythings ok then,I guess that means we will have to stock up on everything and try to guess what she wants next.:eek:
    I wonder if we put all the different types on the floor we could teach her to point.:idea::eek:ut:

18. badbudgie

It's tricky that when you have got two cos one will go off a certain kind and the other will polish both off!

I am trying to be more firm though and stick to tesco's luxury at the minute, they had tuna this morning though as I had ran out! They loved that!

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

haha! :D

it is annoying, my boy loves one thing so I stock up....oh he doesnt want it now he wants something else! then he gets fed up with that........! :eek:ut:

20. jdoevans

jdoevans PetForums Junior

Our cats don't eat anything but Whiskas - dont know why! If we try something else, they look at it, then look up and sit there...

Check out my pet website!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice