Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whippets and indoor cat

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Fiskg, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Fiskg

Fiskg PetForums Newbie

Hi I have an indoor cat.. She's a lovely birman breed. I love dogs and am thinking of getting a whippet puppy. I've done loads of research and the whippet temperature is just what I'm looking for. I'm visiting a breeder shortly and they have a male pup for sale. The breeder appears to be very responsible.
    Has anyone experience with whippets and cats. As a sighthound will my whippet see the cat as prey?
    Would really welcome comments and your experiences.
    Ger

2. FletchNo1

FletchNo1 PetForums Member

No advice to offer but will watch this thread with interest as I'm looking for a new dog who is good with cats x

3. JC93

JC93 PetForums Newbie

We've got a nearly 13 weeks old whippet puppy and we often (pretty much daily) take her to my parents' place and they have a 9 year old cat. The puppy is very happy and excited when she sees the cat, and try to play with him but most of the time, he is not that interested. I think it's a general dog thing anyway, but the puppy likes to chase him (only because she wants to play) and he will often tell her if she is getting too close to him by hitting her on the head (not with his claws out), but she never gets the idea, whippets don't understand personal space :D . I'm not sure what your cat is like, but my parents' one is pretty much scared of everything, and we thought he would be a lot worse but a lot of the time, he would walk pass the puppy (whilst she's sleeping or chilling in her bed) and have a sniff/look at her so he is curious and interested but just gets frightened when she runs towards him. The cat often runs upstairs and stay up there whilst the puppy is playing downstairs so most the time they just mind their own businesses. Just make sure your cat has the option to climb somewhere higher where the puppy can't reach her or go into another room.

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Whippets can live alongside cats. It may take more work as they do have more drive but it is doable for most dogs. You may find some dogs will never live alongside cats but if you put the work in most dogs will learn. With a chase/prey drive you’ll have to be careful to not let your puppy ever chase your cat. It may seem like fun play at first but there is such a thing as predatory drift (google it) and I wouldn’t trust a whippet who had been allowed to chase. I have a chase drive dog and he knows he’s not allowed to chase the cat (though will chase other animals if allowed!).

You’d be better off looking for a show whippet as they tend to be less drivey and ask about the parents prey drives too.

I would be very careful about allowing your whippet to chase the cat. One it’s not very fair on the cat (especially in its own home) and two, allowing your whippet to chase gives it the wrong impression of what the cat is - it’s not a toy. Our whippet has a massive prey drive and has killed small furries in the past, this didn’t show in him until he was about a year old however, so it might be play for now but not forever.

Sairy and MontyMaude like this.
  5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I’ve wafched a whippet going from totally calm and disinterested to a highly driven chase within a split second, so you will need to be careful and not allow chasing as @Teddy-dog has explained. Apart from that I think they are lovely dogs and I very nearly got one before getting another golden instead:)

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Yes - it’s certainly a sight when they get that drive!! They are lovely dogs and I don’t want to put anyone off as I just love them. But I’d never be complacent with a whippet at least at first!
    I do know whippets and cats that live together and even whippets and bunnies but you have to set proper boundaries :)

MontyMaude and Siskin like this.
  7. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

My staffy x whippet lives with my two house cats, but it’s taken a lot of training and he still, occasionally (two years in) gets above himself. I will never leave him alone with them, even though my little girl cat curls up against his stomach and they sleep together (but only on the sofa right next to me!).

Teddy-dog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice