Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whippet/puppy advice needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DMHSHelen, Apr 1, 2020.

1. DMHSHelen

DMHSHelen PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I am looking from some whippet puppy advice or puppy advice in general! Our little whippet is 3 months old, we picked her up and brought her home 10 days ago so not too long ago. She has been very good but I am just looking for some advice on the basics.

She sleeps in a crate on the bedroom floor in my husband and I’s room at night and is no problem, some nights she sleeps right through and some nights she gets up once to go out to the toilet. What we are finding most difficult is leaving her on her own for periods of time throughout the day. With the current health crisis both my husband and I are working from home which is great as we get to have lots of time with our puppy but also difficult because she is getting used to us being around 24/7. We are trying to leave her for short periods during the day and trying to increase it bit by bit but she yelps and whines and proper howls constantly and really works herself up, she has her bed and toys but these don’t help! When we are downstairs pottering about she follows us into every room we go. She is still so young so I am trying to find the right balance between getting her used to being on her own and giving her attention too, I don’t want to be too strict but I need her to be used to being by herself to a degree too.

We do have another crate downstairs which we have tried leaving her in but she really doesn’t settle, I have tried leaving the radio on, a blanket over the crate, I leave her food and water in the crate to get her used to going in and out but when closed in she gets worked up and has pooed in there once or twice, even if she has not long been to the toilet outside. She doesn’t need to be crated during the day she can have the run of the kitchen/dining area but she still cries when she has this space and howls at the door. As I mentioned, now isn’t so bad as we are home anyway but when the time comes when everything is back to normal with work she will need to be on her own for a duration of time when we are in and out and I don’t want her getting into bad habits.

We absolutely love her and can’t believe we have waited this long to have a whippet but I just want to do the right thing with her! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you if you have got to the end of this essay!

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

As a general rule puppy’s do follow you from room to room. My dogs do it sometimes now and they are happy to be left home alone.

I think you are going a bit fast. It’s only been 10 days. Do you have kongs ? These are useful for leaving pup. I would take her for a walk or play tire her out settle her with a kong and literally leave for a few minutes and build up from there.
    PS puppy pictures are a must.

Kakite, Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. DMHSHelen

Thank you! Yes I agree maybe I am trying to do too much too fast! It has only been a few days! We have got some kongs being delivered today so hopefully that will help! Here are some pictures of her!

Attached Files:

FAW56 and Sarah H like this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

So super cute ! They soon get in a routine you want to get them secure in their new home first.

DMHSHelen and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Agree - too much too soon.

The more relaxed she can be now the faster she will settle, then gradually as she grows and time passes she will naturally become more confident and independent.

Getting anxious or stressed now will make that take longer and could actually make her more prone to SA when you want to leave her for longer. If the crate is involved it could become a source of anxiety rather than her safe and happy place.

DMHSHelen, Burrowzig and JoanneF like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Adorable!
    Totally on the same page as everyone else. You're just going too fast. You are completely right in that you will need to train pup to be left alone, but generally we suggest people pet their pup settle for a couple of weeks before leaving them (we try and suggest people who work to take 2 weeks off at least when getting a new pup as they won'e be able to be left for a while).
    I love the article @JoanneF linked to, some fab ideas there.
    My advice is start small. Can you have your pup 2 metres from you in the same room and them be fine? How about the other side of the room? If you put pup in their crate can you be sat watching TV and them be OK? if not you need to start at a smaller distance. Use really yummy chews (stuffed Kongs will definitely help once you get them), and encourage pup to chill out with a chew at a distance from you. When you get your Kongs you can actually tether them inside the crate or puppy pen so pup can't pick them up and take them over to you.
    Don't even try going outside yet!

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  8. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

Hi just to say I wanted to build up Luna being on her own from the start as that's what we had done with our last dog and she suffered no separation anxiety. However Luna broke her leg after having her 3 days, she was 10 weeks old and it meant we couldn't leave her for 10 weeks. 24/7 she had someone with her and I thought for sure this would lead to her having separation anxiety but now at 1 she is fine and has been fine the whole time. In a way it helped build her confidence knowing we were always with her so don't worry too much.

DMHSHelen, Lurcherlad and Boxer123 like this.
  9. DMHSHelen

10. DMHSHelen

Thank you for your reply, I am going to concentrate on getting her settled in first then go from there, baby steps!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. DMHSHelen

Hello, thank you for your reply! I will try all of these things, the kongs have arrived so fingers crossed!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. DMHSHelen

Hello, thank you for your reply, poor Luna breaking her leg so young! But this is great too hear that she is confident on her own now! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice