Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whippet and toddlers?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Linda galloway, May 29, 2017.

1. Linda galloway

Linda galloway PetForums Junior

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice please. We have always wanted a whippet and now we feel we are in a position to get one. But I want to do lots of research first. We have a 3 bed maisonette with a small garden and twins who are 2.5 as well as cats. We live within 5 min walk of large parks, woods and nature reserve and a 10 minute drive to moorland. I'm full time at home. Our twins have always been taught to be respectful to animals and are gentle and kind to our cats, we have a zero tolerance policy on this and they are reliably gentle and have a lovely bond. Basically, would we be mad to introduce a whippet into this environment? We want a dog breed that is a good first time dog, good with children and cats, quite relaxed indoors and generally easy going. From research the whippet fits this. Obviously puppies chew / need training / exercise etc but the temperament of a whippet seems suitable? For example, we wouldn't get a boxer! We would also like to do some showing so are looking for a breeder who shows their dogs successfully. Sorry for this being so long and many thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply!

2. Baskervillle

Baskervillle PetForums Member

Whippets (depending on the line) can be nervous nellies as adults once they get past the rambunctious stage!
    My parents have a working line whippet who is about 2 now, and he is an absolute limpet of a dog - always wants to be on your knee (with some bony part of him stabbing you) and cowers at any sign of storms, wind, even the rain sometimes! I think, as long as your toddlers are taught correct boundaries and were gentle, which you've already mentioned, you'll be all good, I think. Whippets are absolutely lovely family pets and usually love children (though are a bit nervous/flighty around loud/grabby kids, at least from my experiences with my parents dog)

Here he is! :)
    [​IMG]

SusieRainbow likes this.
  3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't know what breeding lines your parents whippet comes from but I have show bred whippets who are most certainly not .'nervous nellies' I have owned and bred whippets for 17 years the only one I have had that has been remotely nervous was a male I bred and was one of s set of twins. I made the mistake of keeping his twin. Sadly we lost his twin a few years ago and it showed we made the mistake keeping Amber as Simba is a completely different dog without her. He was very reliant on his sister and we thought he would be lost without her but he came out of his shell when he no longer had his very outgoing sister over shadowing her.

You would certainly not be able to show a dog that was nervous especially at a show such as crufts working lines may be flighty but I have never owned a working bred I prefer the show breds. My lot with the exeption of my 13 year old happily go out for walks in the rain snow hail they don't wear coats they have coats but don't like them. I can walk them on bonfire night or new years eve when fireworks are going ioff and they don't bother.

4. Baskervillle

Baskervillle PetForums Member

Just giving my own experiences from working at a dog rescue *shrug* maybe there's something in the water in yorkshire that makes them all so nervy..I've actually never had the pleasure of meeting a show line whippet. Just working dogs from low income areas, which is a different world to whippet breeding for crufts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice