Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whining every evening

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by wellymum, Jan 25, 2012.

1. wellymum

wellymum PetForums Newbie

I have a six year old Westie, who is generally happy and well-behaved. He has Addisons disease and we try to keep his stress levels down as much as possible. However, for the last three or four nights, after we have all had our meals, he whines to go out and this happens several times in an hour. He shuts up when he goes out and he runs to the top of the garden and sniffs at the back fence - we back onto an open field. He comes back in when called, but then starts whining as soon as he is in to the point where he actually howls to be let out. He does not want to relieve himself or defecate, he just wants to get to the back fence. We are wondering if there is a wild fox or something in the back field. The point is we can't keep shouting at him to shut up, that'll send his stress levels up. I've tried a DAP spray to calm him tonight, with no effect, and last night resorted to a piriton tablet to calm him down. Anyone had the same situation with their dog? How did they calm the dog down? If it is a fox, it would be a wild one and should I report it to the RSPCA???

Thanks

Val. :w00t:

2. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

Call the Police!

3. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Is it possible that there is in season bitches around or in the field? That would probably keep attracting him to it.

The RSPCA won't do anything about wild foxes - even if they came onto your property, they'd just move them back into the field.

You could try getting one of those air fresheners that reduce stress levels, or just try and keep him inside? It's an unfortunate situation but if it is something in season, then it will pass.

4. wellymum

wellymum PetForums Newbie

We live in a county with one of the highest wild fox populations in the UK - I don't think the police would thank us for calling them out to see to it!:)

I have tried one of those sprays, I use it on bonfire night etc, DAP (dog appeasing pheromone). And do neutered male dogs still react to inseason bitches? This is the first time something like this has happened in six years.

Thanks for the answers so far, keep 'em coming!

Val. :)

5. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

And you think the RSPCA might?? :rolleyes:

PM Bigdaddy to bring his daughter round with her weapon :D

6. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Yes, unfortunately neuteured males do still respond. In exactly the way you are describing - like they've got an absolute desperate need to get there.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest. Have you got any 'rare' toys or treats which you could give him to distract him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice