Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whining Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Diane, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Diane

Diane PetForums Newbie

My labrador is nearly 2. She has developed unusual behavioural traits which are starting to concern me. She has always been quite a nervous dog but every morning when I go into the kitchen to see her, she has to pick something up in her mouth and parade round in circles. If she can't find a bone, chew or ball, she will even pick up a piece of fluff or anything that she can find. If I go in to her, she weaves around me and goes through my legs again and again, wagging her tail, not in a typically happy way, but with it quite low down and submissive. Her ears lie back and she constantly makes a nervous whining sound.

It really seems to be getting worse although there are no obvious environmental changes that may be upsetting her.

Any advice gratefully received:confused:

Diane
    AnimalLoversWeb.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Labs like all gundogs have been bred to gain pleasure from holding things in their mouths, the hold is innate, the retrieve is taught by teaching recall. If she is a nervous dog, holding something in her mouth, may also bring her comfort, and it will certainly make her feel better. It sounds like she may be a little worried by you coming in, so goes into submissive behaviour. Some dogs do make a noise whilst holding, it is impossible to say without hearing the dog if it is pleasure or distress, or a mixture of both. make sure she has toys around so she can do her normal behaviour of holding. She probably needs confidence building if she is nervous, a local behaviourist or dog trainer would be able to help you with that.

3. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Diane, if your dog has only just started displaying this behaviour I would strongly suggest that she gets a health check before going down the behavioural route.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice