Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whining and howling

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Peekabootwinkle, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Peekabootwinkle

Peekabootwinkle PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    Absolutely desperate for help and advice on my home from home rescue border collie whom I've had for 4 months.
    He whined constantly even if he's lying beside me, but mostly at 5 in the morning! His previous owners were up early so I knew I'd have to try and 're train him to go longer, I know he can do this is as he's went longer before. I've tried everything, from black out blinds thinking it nay be the light (or the cat at the window) to crating him, to covering his crate, to putting him in another room to even putting him in my room!
    I have another dog who is fine but it's starting to stress her out (she's a German shepherd dog)
    I go do bed later around 11 so he should be able to go longer for the toilet bit even if I let him out he then comes back in a whines again.
    This morning he decided to go one further and howl! I'm really struggling as it's increasing my anxiety and I feel I've tried everything.
    Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Has he had a recent vet check to rule out any underlying problems which may be causing the whining?

Is he whining 24/7 or is it mostly during the night and early mornings? What have you tried to stop this behaviour?

3. Peekabootwinkle

Hi twiggy,
    Thank you for your reply. He hasn't had a vet check no so that's a good idea.
    He does it alot but mainly early mornings and if I leave the room but also he can do when lying beside me!
    I've tried all the things mentioned above in my post and also things like kongs, rewarding quiet behaviour, ignoring it but nothing seems to make any difference. I've had him in a crate, and out of it, tried covering it and not, changing rooms and blackout blinds. I've seen alot of things about ignoring or rewarding quiet behaviour but if I go down through the ngt thats him won because it's attention.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Is he actually trained to the crate?

5. Peekabootwinkle

Yes he's been crate trained from a puppy and quite often takes himself to his crate, that's his space, it doesn't seem to make a difference where he is.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have you tried him at the side of your bed in his crate to see if he will settle then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice