Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

whinging problem need help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mumble1962, Feb 4, 2018.

1. mumble1962

mumble1962 PetForums Newbie

Please, can anyone help...I had two staffies until two weeks ago my little grey haired ole lady had to go to the great playing feild in the sky due to back leg problems and cancer ..bless her she was 17 years old..Her companion for the last 5 years is a boy staffy (neutered) they were best buds, since our lady has gone all our boy does is whining and yap especially when he is put to bed at night..he sleeps in the kitchen in his bed ..any ideas how we can help him come to learn his best pal isn't coming home again? We have 2 very young (under 2years) children so another dog is out of the question, we also said when they go we cant replace them (both were great with the little ones but i was always aware of the possibilities never leaving them alone with children) anyway we really need to be able to help our lad settle..any ideas, we know it will take time, we to miss her so so much.. x

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It can take time for them to adjust if they had a close relationship. That is all you can do really, give it time, and if possible try and alleviate anxiety by giving him company overnight. Can you sleep on the sofa with him for a couple of nights to see if he settles? or have him in your room temporarily? or if he's shut in the kitchen (?) give him free range of the downstairs?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. mumble1962

mumble1962 PetForums Newbie

I tryed him upstairs but he runs up and down the stairs a few times a night and wakes the children..i tryed sleeping in the front room with him but he still whines, he had free range of down stairs but again he just whines sometime sitting at the bottom of the stairs doing this...i know it will yake time but its getting louder each night..it started with just whinning now its yapping and low yelps

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have him in your room, on his bed and put a baby gate up or shut your door so he can't run around - encourage him calmly to settle. It might take a couple of nights for him to "get it".

Once he settles and gets used to the change (and loss) you can gradually wean him off you and back downstairs.

Did he see his buddy after she was pts? This sometimes helps them understand where they have gone, rather than just vanish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice