Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which wheel would be the best?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Tiffanylarkins, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Tiffanylarkins

Tiffanylarkins PetForums Member

Hi everyone which wheel would be the best?

Attached Files:

2. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

Neither of those is going to be suitable for a syrian I'm afraid. They will need a 28cm wheel.

This one is my all-time favourite (absolutely silent) with this one being a decent choice as well but it's quiet, not silent. Both great value. Pets at Home do a 28cm one they market for rats but they are noisy as heck.

Knighterist likes this.
  3. Tiffanylarkins

Okay thank you

4. Tiffanylarkins

I think I may go for the wood one it looks really nice

5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I've heard that the wooden wheel isn't great, that some hamsters have ended up with bleeding paws because of it, and it can cause splinters, also if you have a hamster that likes to wee in the wheel it's difficult to clean, apart from the difficult to clean bit, I don't know how true any of that is?

I've looked at the Trixie one, what is it actuly like? I keep hearing good reviews but the fact it's closed in and the hamster has to get on and off through the holes has always concerned me that they could hurt themselves.

Knighterist likes this.
  6. Smolmaus

I have heard the cut paws issue about a different wooden wheel, this one? I did check mine thoroughly for splinters or gaps before I put in in obviously but that's just good practise. The liner on the inside is cork which can't splinter but I suppose if you have a ham that chews it could take up the liner and expose the wood itself? Anything comes with risks like but the wooden trixie is one I saw recommended everywhere before I tried it and I've had my two for coming up on a year now and they're in perfect condition, no issues at all. Definitely something to watch for tho, it's a good heads-up.

I plastikoted mine before I put in in so it's semi-waterproof or like, wipeable? And I didn't even do a great job, dropped the tin of sealant on the pavement so only had a dribble to do both wheels lol. But I would hesitate to give one to my dwarf who is a filthy filthy boy, he gets plastic because hes gross.

My plastic Trixie lasted I think 4-5 years? Again, none of mine have been chewers. It was very very rattly towards the end but apart from that all the hams liked it, the holes ever caused any issues for any of them. It's a very light wheel so there isn't a problem with them over-running, trying to get off and the wheel is still spinning which might make the holes a problem. On the other hand it's a positive if you have a ham who runs HARD, the enclosed wheel means they can't be flipped out across the cage but that's more a thing you see with robos I think.

Knighterist and ForestWomble like this.
  7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I have the plastic 28cm Trixie wheel for mine. Not silent but relatively quiet really and i have 3 going all night so either they're quite or I sleep like a log :D

Knighterist likes this.
  8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Thank you.

I didn't know there was more than one wooden wheel, plastikoting it is a really good idea.

I might have to try a Trixie when I get a hamster again.

Knighterist and Smolmaus like this.
  9. Smolmaus

Mine started out that way but at the end it was keeping my partner up from two rooms away lol they definitely have an expiration date!

10. Tiffanylarkins

Don't you find wheels are the hardest thing to buy for a hamster? Whether it be the price or the noise

Knighterist likes this.
  11. Tiffanylarkins

What about flying saucers with a 12 week old syrian hamster

Knighterist likes this.
  12. Smolmaus

Same deal, they need a 28cm or 12" saucer when full grown. Which is actually way harder to fit in a cage. It's a waste of time getting them stuff that will work when they're a baby but they'll eventually grow out of.

I think a decent wheel is the most important thing in a cage so it's worth the effort to get it right. Honestly you don't have many options when you get to 28cm so it actually makes it easier to choose lol

13. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Well we're 2 months on and still good so hopefully it'll stay that way!

14. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Saucers don't promote a healthy running position. They'll always mimic the curvature of the rim of the wheel unfortunately :(

Knighterist likes this.
  15. Tiffanylarkins

Thank you

16. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

That's very true, I panicked when my initial wheel was a) hella noisy and b) too small for Marble. So I went to [email protected] and they recommended a saucer and said one size fits all. First few nights Marble literally went nuts on it. Later on he ignored it and used it as a perch. When I watched him on the saucer running to his little heart's content I was curious and a bit worried because he was basically not arching his back but just bent sideways trying to not fall off the wheel, which I guess isn't good for him either.

Picked up at relatively quiet 22cm second hand wheel from Facebook market place for £5 (not a bad price though!) and so far so good. I'll upgrade again once he's outgrown this one.

Tiffanylarkins and Engel98 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice