Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which wet food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenRetrieverman, Nov 25, 2012.

1. GoldenRetrieverman

GoldenRetrieverman PetForums VIP

I am considering switching my Golden Retriever to wet food. She is nearly 1 year old. She weighs between 27-30 kg, how much will it cost to feed her on all wet?. It would be interesting to hear how much people have to feed their own dogs.

Im thinking it would be more healthy as wet food has higher meat and lower carbs, she has gone off dry food anyway and i have to mix stuff in to get her to eat it!. Any suggestions welcome :)

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi is a little 8.5K terrier. She is fed wet.

Her RDA for most brands is 400g but as she likes a few healthy snacks I cut it back a bit and divide it over 3 meals instead of 2. During the winter she tends to lose a bit of weight so either has her full RDA (plus snacks) or I mix in a bit of soaked kibble.

I like to feed variety and use an assortment of Rocco Classic, ND, FG, Lukullus, WW trays. She tends to do better with more meat less carb/veg varieties.

I try to buy what's on offer and keep a rolling stock of a few.

A good example for you would be this Rocco Classic Value Pack 24 x 800 g: Great Deals on Rocco Dog Food at zooplus works out at £1.25 per can. 30k would need approx 1 1/2 cans - £1.85 ish per day. If you went down the route of adding a few healthy snacks or bit of soaked kibble, you could probably cut that back to 1 x 800g per day @ £1.25.

More expensive than kibble but a more natural food in my opinion.
    Hope this answers a few of your questions :D

3. GoldenRetrieverman

Thanks Mum2heidi. I think i may have to mix some dry in with some wet then. I say £1 a day is about the limit to what i can afford. I have seen Rocco before on Zooplus. I tried Naturediet a while ago and it upset her stomach. Do you find you feed less of Wainwrights? The feeding guidelines on their trays look way too low to me! :skep:

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

A trick that lots use to prevent picking out the wet and leaving the kibble is to either soak the kibble first and then mix it in or add water to the wet and then mix in the kibble so it's all coated.

WW trays RDA is way out I think. P@H will tell you it's because it's more concentrated (the high fibre I think). Feeding such a small amount didnt work for us. I use the same guidelines as ND and Rocco. The only downside to Rocco is that it's mostly beef with a little of the listed flavour so no good if you have issues with beef.

Heidi wasnt good with ND at first but a few trials and finally adding it slowly did the trick.
    WW trays are always my standby. Never upset her tum and first port of call if there's an upset.
    About time P@H had them on offer again.;):D

5. GoldenRetrieverman

She eats kibble as long as it coated in something tastey lol. I have thought, is giving beef all the time healthy (they say it isn't for humans) Someone said on here though its fine to give all the time. Rocco does seem good value, people on here are always going on about how bad grain is, could maybe mix it with a grain free kibble.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I prefer as grain free a diet as poss. Not impressed that ND have doubled the rice even tho it's still only 10%:eek:

The beef concerns me slightly so I rotate it with other brands but for the meat content and value, keep it in the mix. I mainly feel that beef can be an allergen so if Heidi is ok with beef, then no problem. My concern is the possibility of a cumulative thing.

7. GoldenRetrieverman

Why do they say beef is bad for you :confused: . I think she/he is called sixstar on here she said its no different to chicken/fish etc.

I find this site really good for dog food, the owner is really helpful too. Which Dog Food.co.uk

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sixstar is usually pretty accurate. I think she felt the beef thing is down to whether your dog has issues with it or not.

Presumably it's expected that beef would cause more issues than other proteins and probably why UK manufacturers dont include much beef as a result because they feel it wouldnt sell - I dunno :D:D:D Raw feeders dont seem to bypass it:confused:

Whichdogfood site is v good. The guy is a member here and used to post a lot when he was first putting it together. I was confused by the high fibre in WW and lack of cereal to substantiate it. P@H were as much use as a chocolate fireguard and Forthglade (the manufacturers) not much better. He pointed out that chicory is high in fibre and the extract they use would bump it right up as it's concentrated. Put my mind at rest. Great guy:D

9. GoldenRetrieverman

yea he knows his stuff! As to the concerns about beef i had the same issues when i fed my dog on Fish4dogs, mercury content etc

#9 GoldenRetrieverman, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Doesnt pay to over think:D:D

I have to remind myself that until Heidi, all my dogs were fed supermarket brands - whatever was the cheapest at the time and mixer biscuits. Swopping and changing with no problems at all :eek:and they all lived to 13+:eek::D:D

11. GoldenRetrieverman

I do tend to over think these things lol. Does Rocco smell and look nice? Does it make you want to steal some for yourself or hold your nose? :D

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Over thinking comes with the territory once you start on the food trek:rolleyes: Been there, done that and still have to kick myself into touch regularly.

Rocco is a v firm, tight texture. Coarse but not lumpy,quite red in colour. Not as wet, soft or smooth as ND and WW. Lukullus is more the one you'd want to eat because of the description. Yet from a dog's point of view I think all that meat and offal in Rocco has to come out on top. I wouldnt want it in a sandwich but neither would I ND, WW etc. No way does it make me want to hold my nose.
    (ND Sensitive had us all evacuating the building lol)

Hope this helps ;)

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'm a veggie, but don't find Rocco repulsive. I wouldn't WANT to sniff it, but when I get a whiff, it's fine.

I put a dollop of it in the dog bowls, pur on warm water (about two-thirds of a cup), mash up with a fork and mix in the kibble. Dogs love it, and it's an affordable way of doing it. A 600g can lasts 2-3 days, feeding a 15k and a 13k dog twice a day.

I'd assumed there's not much beef in dog food because all the beef crap goes into cheap burgers.

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I feed Naturediet in the mornings, and Bozita tetrapacks in the evenings.

My boys are both doing well on them.

15. GoldenRetrieverman

I got some Wainwrights trays to try today. Duck and Turkey varieties. Iv opened the Turkey one and it smells nice enough. Only reservation i have about Wainwrights trays is there is not much info on them. I would like some reassurance that they don't contain artificial preservatives in the raw ingredients.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I dont think this is the case and I think someone has already questioned them over this. You could always contact Forthglade who make it for them but I dont think it's a problem.;)

17. GoldenRetrieverman

Well that's put my mind at ease :biggrin:. Seems a fantastic food for the price. If only them feed guidelines were accurate! :001_rolleyes: lol
    Hopefully it won't upset her stomach, so far so good.

18. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It wont hurt to ask if you need reassurance. When I was dealing with them re the high fibre content they said they were regularly monitored by TS.

I agree re the RDA. You may find you can get away with a bit less than ND Rocco etc but I dont think you will find their estimated amount will be enough. I'm trying to remember - it's been a while since I've fed WW without rotating it with something else but I kind of remember cutting her back a bit.
    You'll have to do a bit of trial and error and watch the weight (dogs' I mean lol):D:D

19. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

My lot did not do well on WW trays as it gave them bouts of loose poo's when using it:(

They all have Vitalin adult maintenance cereal free alway's mixed with nature diet or nature menu.

Just to add that the vitalin cereal free is the best kibble I have used for them after trying many premium brands and their tums have never been so settled;)

20. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

I have one very fussy Madam here ;) - so have tried a very wide variety of wet food brands lol.

Unfortunately Whisper has decided that she *loves* Lily's Kitchen (!) but there is no way I can afford to feed just that. Luckily she loves it so much that so long as she sees it going in to her dish I can get away with mixing it with other things and she will still scoff the lot.

I have a lot of other foods to use up (a lot of Butchers which isn't great but which used to be the food I mixed in with other better quality foods to get her to eat those lol!) but my long-term plan is to use Lukullus and Rocco with some Lily's mixed in. I prefer tinned food - Whisper seems to prefer the texture of Lukullus and Rocco - and I like the fact that they are easy to get into (I always seem to end up fighting with the trays lol! :eek:) and I also like the fact I can recycle them easily as they can go in my recycling bin that the Council takes away.

I think the Lukullus and Rocco smell lovely compared to others I've used - I always heat Whisper's food up slightly (yes, she is bloomin' spoilt!!) and they smell lovely heated up lol. :p

The WW trays are ok and certainly very good value but they seem to make Whisper's poo a bit soft. Tray-wise my preference was for Nature's Harvest but it isn't that cheap. I found Berriewoods often had good deals on for that and for Naturediet.

I agree that mixing wet with a decent quality kibble is a good way to make it more economical. Whisper really doesn't like kibble no matter what I do with it in terms of mixing it - otherwise I'd use kibble with the Lily's Kitchen to make it more affordable. But this was my plan originally!

I personally wouldn't feed kibble on its own - raw would always be my preference but guess what...... Whisper doesn't like that either..... :rolleyes:

I have mixed and matched foods with no problem but Whisper doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach. The only problem she has had tummy-wise is when she's been stubborn and refused to eat her food and ended up being a bit sick with bile. But mixing brands hasn't really ever bothered her.

Value-wise I have been doing a lot of comparing and as has been mentioned the 800g tins of Rocco and Lukullus are one of the best value (and good quality) options other than Wainwright's trays. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice