Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which Rare Breed would you like to see introduced?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kare, Jun 23, 2016.

1. kare

kare PetForums VIP

There was a post like this about 18 months ago I think, on dogs you would like UK registered and I chose a Deutsch Spaniel breed

However last night I came across information about a Romanian Raven (Corb) Shepherd

They are beautiful, just my look of dog, and the limited information on behaviour seemed to not rule them out either.

Just because I would like to have more gorgeous dogs to be able to look up...what rare breeds would you like to see running around your garden or on your sofa?

#1 kare, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

Chinooks :)

Loveable, intelligent, adaptable and a family-orientated sled dog breed with lower prey drive. They're gorgeous dogs and I've been lucky enough to meet two.

Plus, they look more Shepherd-y which is my thing :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

To be honest In some ways as far as the UK goes anyway, I sometimes think dogs are better off staying on the rare breeds register and left to good breeders and enthusiasts who will continue to breed and improve the lines for health and temperament and be particular who the puppies are sold too. Once a breed is taken off the rare breeds register, and gained in high popularity and the world and its wife wants one, and they start to be bred by all and sundry without knowledge or thought that's often when the trouble can start for a breed.
    Just looking it from another prospective.

Phoolf, Firedog, Zaros and 3 others like this.
  4. kare

kare PetForums VIP

Other than saying there was a similar discussion in the past about which breeds your would want on the KC register I have not said anything about registers
    I've not asked which dogs you want to see registered. Just asking which rare breeds you have heard of you would want in your garden.
    As far as I am aware the breed I mention is not even a register-able breed in Romania, let alone on some rare breed register.

5. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Entlebucher Mountain Dog if I had to choose one - they're in the UK but very few and far between and thats a good thing really! They're hardly 'rare' but its a breed I like.

Personally I'd get another vulnerable UK dog breed over anything else - would be another smooth most likely for me :)

[​IMG]

#5 Hanwombat, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. Lauren5159

I think that's very much dependant on the breed.
    The Chinook for example:
    There's as little as ten breeders in The US who have been desperately trying to keep their breed in existence for so long. The main issue being that hardly anyone has even heard of the breed. That's not good. Those enthusiasts have been working tiredlessly to help their breed gain popularity.

I don't think the point of the OP was to ask "what breed of dog would you like to be the next Labradoodle?" But to highlight that there are breeds out there who are really struggle and balancing on the edge of extinction.
    Being left to good breeders, when there's very little, numerically, is detrimental to the breed itself and without help from other breed enthusiasts -new and old- they'd be better off extinct.

The Parson Russell Terrier is close to being added to The Vulnerable Breeds list, and there's still bad breeders out there churning out puppies. So numbers and popularity aren't always the cause of such worries.

kare likes this.
  7. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

Picardy Spaniel. Love them. Love their looks, the fact breeders are retaining their working ability and that they have wonderful temperaments from the reading I have done. They are in the UK but are very rarely seen. Probably a good thing, I think someone in Ireland is working one with good results?

Picardy.jpg

Picardy 2.jpg

8. S.crane

S.crane PetForums Senior

Recently I came across the Hungarian Mudi and realy like them . They have the look I like in a dog and are intelligent,athletic and adaptable they can be wary of strangers though, only thing that would slightly put me off them is the tendency to bark but I suppose it is something you could reduce with training. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. Sled dog hotel

The start of the chinook wasn't even until 1917 he was bred by Arthur Waldren who was a sled dog driver and who was also a known name in Malamutes and Siberian Huskies. It all started with one Dog called Chinook that was Arthur Waldrens lead dog who was a cross between a Husky Mum and a dog they are not totally sure of thought to be a st Bernard or Mastiff type dog or some sort of mix of the two. Chinook himself was then bred to GSDs and Belgian shepherds and also other sled dog breeds and then the resulting off spring was bred back with chinnook himself not to mention each other. That's how the Chinook started basically from one Lead dog Chinook and by one person Arthur T waldren. His Kennels or part of them were eventually sold and also the Chinook dogs were sold to Julia Lombard who continued to breed although Arthur Waldren still had imput. Eventually when Julia Lombard stopped breeding the remaining dogs were sold to someone called Perry Greene who carried on breeding them until 1963 when he died. After which the numbers dwindled and dwindled, although there were never really that may to start with, and apart from these above never many breeders. By the 80s I think there was only something like a dozen dogs that were left from the original lines that you could breed from.
    There isn't as you say that many today, and there is also a cross breeding programme.

As you say there probably is only still a small amount of breeders, but there never was many breeders to start off with or they haven't ever really been bred in that high numbers from the beginning and only in a pretty condensed area. Chinook himself who started it all was in fact a very well known lead dog if you look it up.

Lauren5159 likes this.
  10. Lauren5159

I know. I've looked them up. I've met two.

They've never had the numbers. They're still a rare breed.

But like I said, some people are working to try and change that. It's a hard slog -hence why they were my answer to the original OP.

11. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Not sure if they are rare elsewhere in the world but I don't know of any in the UK;
    Norwegian Lundehund
    images.jpeg

12. Sled dog hotel

For a breed to start being established seriously in a certain country and recognised though, it starts with only a relatively small number of dogs and there has to be a set number of enthusiasts for them to lobby and finally even be entered on the rare breeds list. A situation can soon change for a breed too, Alaskan malamutes were only taken off the rare breeds register in 2006, have a look at the free ads and dogs homes now. That's In 10 years.

Like I said just looking at breeds that may be classed as rare or at the moment, from another prospective that can happen, and sometimes that popularity doesn't in all cases do all breeds a favour. Looking at it another way, with the introduction of more and more rare or new breeds to a country, and easier availability that may be what played a part in the demise of native breeds in the first place or put it this way probably didn't help the situation.

It was purely just an opinion or personal observation that's all.

13. Sled dog hotel

I like those too Fleur they are unique too and can bend like rubber and in ways other dogs cant, they have more toes too, Lovely little dogs.

Fleur likes this.
  14. kare

kare PetForums VIP

My personal opinion would be the most popular registered breeds currently are severely disabled non native bracy breeds

Not having the breeds possibly mentioned here doesn't seem to be helping our native breeds

There will sadly always be "fashion breeds" over breed and screwed up by humans, and the fact we ooow and ahhh over breeds which cannot breathe or operate correctly is the current issue.
    I think most mentioned here are fit for function healthier breeds, yes it would not be in their best interest to be imported and over bred, but really do you find the unlikely chance they may have a 300 or something (given roughly the breeds currently registered with FCI) to one chance to be the one chosen a reason we should not even discuss the fact they exist?

15. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

That's what I like about them :) plus they seem to have a super temperament and all in a nice small compact size.
    If I ever have time and money to spare I would love to import and start a sustainable breeding scheme - but that is pure fantasy :)

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  16. Sled dog hotel

Didn't say you shouldn't discuss rare breeds or the fact they exist or anything else, just gave an opinion that's all didn't say anyone had to agree with it. There are rare breeds that I like, including the Puffin dog fleur mentioned that comes form Norway, I posted and said I like those. As for breeders who have bred for extremes in conformation at the detriment to health and welfare personally I think they should all be strung up but that's only my opinion as well.

lullabydream, kare and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

They are here already in small numbers, but I saw a Black & Tan Coonhound at a show the other month and she was one of the most stunning looking dogs I'd seen in a long time.

Another I like the look of that would be a nice addition is the Grand Bleu de Gascogne.

And I'm not even a scent hound person! :Hilarious

18. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Black and tan coonhound! Another breed I massively admire :Kiss and I'm not even a hound person much either

kare and Dogloverlou like this.
  19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Yes, it rarely happens to me much these days for some reason, but this dog was just one that caught my eye and made me really sit back and admire her. She was in amazing condition, and her colouring was very striking.

kare and Hanwombat like this.
  20. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

There is a Black and Tan Coonhound breeder here in Notts, she had a litter last year. I did have her on my friends list but deleted her when I had one of my clear outs! I do love scent hounds but it's their trainability and off lead reliability which puts me off ever owning any.

For me I love the Blue Picardy Spaniel, Cesky Fousek and Braque Du Bourbonnais. The Braque Du Auvergne has made it to the UK with just one breeder that I know of, but not so keen on their looks compared to the Bourbonnais.

Picklelily, Pappychi and Hanwombat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice