Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which pet insurance ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DezPaula, Mar 31, 2011.

1. DezPaula

DezPaula PetForums Newbie

I'm looking to get pet insurance for 1 yr old bc. Does any of you recomend any ,is there any company to avoid ,or any thing to look out for ? .
    Thanks

2. Pets_R_Me:)

Pets_R_Me:) Guest

Hey,

I use VetsMediCover. Not had to claim but they do it direct so all the vet needs to do is call for an authorisation code to say the company will cover treatment as discussed.

I had originally planned to use Pet Plan, but after a couple of months of cock up's by them, I have no time for them.

There are loads out there, just be sure that the one you pick does 'Cover For Life'

Hope that helps.

3. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

I can recommend Axa.

4. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

You might find my site (see sig) usefull. It was set up after I got shafted by an insurer so I've investigated who is, and who isn't, good to deal with. If they have a bad rep - they aren't on the site.

As a general rule - get lifetime/lifelong cover. But be careful. Some companies describe their cover as 'lifelong' when it is only a 'per condition' cover. The table I have on my site shows which companies offer a true lifetime cover.

The other, most important, thing is to make sure you read the policy before buying. Most complaints about insurance come from people who haven't done that and expect to be covered for something that their insurer has excluded.

Companies that may fit your bill include: Pet Plan, helpucover, Pet Protect, VetsMediCover, Marks and Spencer, Homebase, Aviva, Argos and John Lewis. The 'retail' names are just marketing names for other insurance companies and many of their policies are similar, if not identical.

Hope that helps.

5. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

I heard John Lewis was pretty good and we compared it with a few other sites and it seems to be alright - as AlbertRoss says its almost certainly another insurance company that runs it but they will state that somewhere on the site... we have used them for other insurance and although we have never claimed they're always helpful!

6. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Hi AlbertRoss

Is there any reason Axa isn't on your list for dogs? When we were looking for insurance for Poppy last year we took our time and researched, checked recommendations, read threads aboutpet insurance on MSE (I think I recognise your user name from there??), etc. and decided on lifelong cover from Axa, £7000 per year is the amount in the pot and any conditions arising are covered for life.

Just wondering now if it wasn't the best choice as it's not on your list.

7. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Axa is a bit strange. Simply put, we can't put them on the site. They, like some others, don't want to appear on sites that compare insurers. Under FSA rules I can't show them if they don't want to be there. (The opposite is true of Direct Line, who won't appear on price comparison sites but did want to be included on my site!) What's more bizarre is that at least one of the companies I do show is, in effect, Axa under a different name.

I'd have no problem with them though.

8. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Thanks for that. I can relax now :001_smile:.

9. DezPaula

DezPaula PetForums Newbie

Thanks all for your replies. I've had a look at your site albertross very usefull thanks. Vetsmedicovers direct payment with authorisation code seems like it would suit my circumstances.
    thanks again all

10. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Do make sure you buy online and pick up the discount!

11. Victoria72

Victoria72 PetForums Newbie

DezPaula, I want to warn you that before you sign up you should really do more research, I learned my lesson through search for coverage for my pets that unfortunately most of the pet insurances will just rip you off... I heard the most worthy and legit reviews on Pet assure and I'm mighty grateful I signed with them because I already saved hefty money in vet bills.. Any of you guys hear of Pet assure?

12. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

I would think that 'Pet assure' wouldn't be overly relevant as it's an American programme which gives a 25% pay back on vets bills. It's not applicable to the UK.

13. MarKalAm

MarKalAm PetForums Senior

I use Argos. Found them to be great and pay out very fast (I claimed £2,000 in total last year). They are also per year and not per condition.

14. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

We have used Direct Line for the last nine years. Since April we have spent £6,000 on Brackens thyroid cancer treatment (radiotherapy, chemotherapy, surgery and a whole raft of x-rays etc). They have paid out on everything except our overnight hospital fees that were a little more than they allowed so we paid the few £'s difference. I didn't mind this though because it meant someone stayed with her all night :D
    The only thing I would watch out for is the price increase when they reach 8years old - ours rocketed in price - we now pay £34 per month for maximum cover. Also the price you can claim is per condition not per year so cancer treatment we need beyond our £6,000 limit would be down to us to pay (if she gets a new condition the £6,000 starts again)
    Bracken came to us with petplan but I wasn't that keen on first glance which is why we changed
    XX
    face close up.jpg

15. sweet josie

sweet josie PetForums Newbie

can i ask why more than isnt on ure site ?

16. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

i use animal friends and found them exceptionally very good

17. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

Axa don't charge more when the animal is 8 years old, that's one of the reasons we moved our older cats from Pet Plan to Axa.

18. Hector's Mum

Hector's Mum PetForums Newbie

This thread couldn't have come at a better time as I have been tralling through websites trying to find a good provider. Thanks AlbertRoss for your website, it is fab!!!!!

I have just insured with VetsMediCover :D I was finding it difficult to swallow paying £26-£30 a month for lots of extras that I didn't want. All I wanted was someone to pay the vets bills. Thanks again :D

19. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

We've been waiting for permission to put them on (it's an FSA thing). We now have permission but we only include companies that are seen to be OK. More Th>n had a bit of a bad rep and we're still trying to sort out why. It may not be their fault - we usually find that people who complain about insurance companies are trying to claim for something their policy excludes and then get surprised when the company won't pay out.

When we are sure that's not the case (and we accept that there may be one or two genuine problems) then we'll add them.

20. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Happy to have been of service! The whole point of the site is to put decent insurers in front of people like yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice