Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which one?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emma_Williams, Jun 22, 2009.

?

Which one?

1. Puddywat

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Chorley Rossetted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Towcaster Spotted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Huddersfield Preloved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Flashcatz (available kittens)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. Wildcry Bengals (Kittens for Sale)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

Hi

I am planning on getting a male Bengal kitten and don't really want to spend more than £300. I have got my choices down to the 6 breeders below, that I can travel to and are in my price range. I just need some help deciding.
    Does anyone know if they are good breeders, which is the smartest choice, are any backyard breeders or scammers? Just umming and awwwing and the mr isn't being much help deciding. My favourite colouring has to be the 2nd one but the 070 number and 9 weeks worries me.

Any help would be really appreciated
    Thanks in advance

1. Affectionate Pedigree Bengal Kitten {litter.k_name} - Puddywat

2. Bengal classifieds in Chorley : Rosetted Bengal Kittens, LITTER 3 WK OLD ,VIEWING WELCOME.

3. SPOTTED BENGAL KITTENS Cat for sale Towcester

4. Preloved | bengal kittens for sale in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK

5. Flashcatz (available kittens)

6. Wildcry Bengals (Kittens for Sale)

#1 Emma_Williams, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Defo not the free ads. They should keep them longer than 9 weeks. It makes no reference to a registry, just a piece of paper with the names of the dams/sires.

Prebeloved & Vivastreet sound similar but less obvious about this.

I'd view the others & choose base on who you feel happy with. £300 is not much for a pedigree cat. I'd expect to pay a little more for something you feel really happy with. I'd also suggest looking at adverts through registered Bengal club rather than free ads.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

The last one as they mention registration

4. Emma_Williams

I feel silly for asking, its just I don't know a lot about it as my mum has always got our cats and this will be the first I am buying for me now I have left home. I have a few questions. Why are free ads bad? Why is 9 weeks too early for a bengal kitten when mixed breeds or common domestics often go at that age? What is a registry?(sounds familiar but can't remember) £300 is because partner says any more is too much for a cat and won't let me spend more (total Yorkshire man). Bengal is because Ive wanted one for years!

5. messyhearts

Those that register will more than likely show. If they show then breed with the standard of points of the breed in mind to be successful. If they aim for a standard then they are usually pretty reputable when it comes to breeding as they aim for something (certainly health as well as conformation).

Free ads are free, if they are free then the breeder perhaps is looking to make the most they can from a kitten without paying for an ad as an expense. (There are defo exceptions as sometimes breeders find a kitten suddenly available again and need to home it ASAP). If you stick to Bengal clubs then you know they have agreed to some ethics when they joined in order to use the listings with the club. With free ads you can get anything - quite often back yard breeders who don't know what they are doing or do know what they are doing and taking you for a ride.

I know at least the GCCF of the registries won't allow kittens to leave before 13 week as the full course of vaccs must be done before going to a new home plus kitten is with siblings & mum as much as need to be sociable. By being sociable, they are more likely to know their limits ie not bite or claw you so much.

Of course there are exceptions to all of this but personally, when buying a kitten, I look for a breeder registered with a breed club & make sure they are ethically sound in my opinion before I am interested. I think like this as a result of my dog whom I bought from a free ad & had to have surgery at the age of 6 months because she was poorly bred.

6. Emma_Williams

Thank you so much for the really helpful information and will take your advice. Im now wondering if that is why mums persian has a few problems as we found her through a free ad.

(My mums persians tongue always sticks out as supposedly her face is too flat and her tounge too long. Her teeth are also falling out. She is only 7. No idea if she had papers or not.)

7. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i have no idear how to help you pick all i can say is lean a lot about the bread and the look so you dont end up with a mx bread view them and go with what feels right but 300 is not that much for a bengle because a friend of my dads got on for 550 and i though that was prise i did have a problem like that my self a year a go when i got my first ragdoll so good luck

8. messyhearts

My best advise is don't budget yourself. Go and be open minded. Ask questions & if you doubt anything then walk away. If it is only £25 more for the RIGHT kitten then what do you do? If you want a purebred cat & pay a purebred cat price tag, don't cut corners. It's like if you wanted a moggie you know you can expect to be surprised all the time as it is a moggie. With a purebred they are intentionally bred to a standard, or should be, so should meet certain criteria (especially your own if you really want a Bengal - rather get what you want than regret it when they expect to live 15 years plus!!!!)

#8 messyhearts, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice