UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try to change grizzlers food.. again! last time we tried f4d and it just wasnt working he got the runs a lot so gave up and went back to james wellbeloved.. but hes getting older and i want the best for him so thinking about trying applaws..

only confusion is do i go for senior all breeds or large breed? I cant see any major differences.. and grizz is a large 49kg and 7.5years so pushing being senior.

Ta!

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
If he needs to loose weight or suffers from joint stiffness, then I would use Senior, if not then large breed.

I do not normally like Senior diets, but Applaws is one of a few that do not substitute meat with more cereal to lower the fat content.

However if he does so well on James Wellbeloved, why change?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He does do really well on it but just in comparison the wellbeloved is 26% rice and 19% oats with 26% meat and the applaws, f4d etc etc seem to be much higher meat and no grains, i wouldnt mind if it was just the rice but with the oats aswell, i dunno just feel like as he gets older that i should be giving him the best i can.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
My motto is if it ain't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't be changing his food if he is doing well on it, no matter what the ingredients. Everyone says that RC is bad and the ingredients don't look up to much, but it is the only thing that agrees with my two. I've tried lots of different ones that looked like they had better ingredients, but they've always given them the squelchies.

I would let well alone if I were you.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
He does do really well on it but just in comparison the wellbeloved is 26% rice and 19% oats with 26% meat and the applaws, f4d etc etc seem to be much higher meat and no grains, i wouldnt mind if it was just the rice but with the oats aswell, i dunno just feel like as he gets older that i should be giving him the best i can.
IMO, changing his food to something else, when he is doing very well on his current good food, just because he is getting older, seems a bit daft! That doesn't really have any relevance. I could understand if he was on something dreadful, but James Wellbeloved is good enough.

I'd personally keep him on JWB - if other higher quality foods have made him poorly, I wouldn't bother - I'm usually all for grain free diets, but in this case, I'd leave well alone - JWB doesn't have anything horrid like cariogens in, and is a very reasonable food. The grain clearly isn't causing him any problems :)

G

·
I personally wouldn't change if the JW suits your dog, i'm a great one for 'if it ain't broke don't fix it. You may be entering a never ending search, when you already have one that suits your pup and is reasonably priced to.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wouldnt change the food if he is ok on it, changing foods isnt good for dogs, it can take a long time aswell for them to settle on a food. I wouldnt worry about the ingrediants, if hes healthy and no issues then theres no need to change, you may end up causing more issues with changing his food.

I know many dogs who were always fed rubbish food, but they were healthy on it with no problems and lived happy and healthy lives. I would only ever change a food if they were having problems on it.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I also wouldn't change the food if it's not too bad. I would change if on some of the worst simply because I do think, whilst they may appear as though they are doing well, you are increasing chances of something serious later on.

Other than that will say if in doubt in regards to "targetted types" and if you believe it's necessary contact the manufacturer and ask. You may also get their reasoning and description of the differences not included on the label.

Not necessarily for you but will mention, runny poop can be a sign of overfeeding. Always remember different food may need different feeding quantities. Also if changing, change over slowly.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ta thanks everyone, seems maybe i should just keep him on the jw, i just want the best for him, he has solid poops and is very healthy had a full mot when he had surgery last month..

he is not overfed he is given half the recommended amount for a dog his size as he gets a few biscuits during the day along with a dried treat of some kind, plus hes not the most active of dogs hes a plod along.

Really appreciate all the help.. guess im off shopping for more jw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.