Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which of these are better?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by corrine3, Apr 10, 2011.

1. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

We feed our dogs on different foods and i'm wondering which food, in your opinon, is best going by ingredients?

Food 1

Whole rice (40%), Salmon Meal (17.5%), Naked oats, Peas, Sunflower oil, whole linseed, sugar beet pulp, Vitamins and minerals.

Food 2

Meat and marrowbone (31%), wheat, maize, oats, chicken fat, chicken meat meal, fish meal, brewers yeast, linseed, soya, vitamins and minerals.]

Both are dry food.

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

If I'm not mistaken the first is Skinners and the second Vitalin.

The Vitalin seems to have a higher meat content, but it doesn't state which meat and what percentage is meat and what percentage is marrowbone. It has quite a few fillers, wheat, maize, oats, plus soya.

The Skinners clearly states meat content and percentage and has one filler.

For the above reasons I'd go for Skinners.

3. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

wow, your good. Spot on with brand of both! Glen is on skinners which I buy and Milly on Vitilin which OH gets her. I'd prefer both on Skinners

4. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

What do you think of this food?

Whole wheat, maize, chicken meat meal,
    barley, chicken fat, beet pulp, vitamins and
    minerals.

Protein 18%
    Oil 11%
    Fibre 2.2%
    Ash 5.6%
    Vit A 10,000 iu/kg
    Vit D3 1,500 iu/kg
    Vit E 225 iu/kg
    (as alpha-tocopherol)
    Copper 12 mg/kg
    (as copper sulphate)

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

To be blunt. Not much. No meat until the third ingredient and even then it doesn't say how much. I'd avoid.

Some of the Skinners is great, some bad. I used to feed Skinners and I'd get a bag of Salmon and Rice and a bag of Duck and rice delivered for just over £40 from vetuk.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-food-cat...-and-trial-duck-and-rice-dog-food-15kg-p-2434

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-food-cat...ld-and-trial-salmon-rice-dog-food-15kg-p-2433

#5 Lyceum, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Whichever each individual dog does best on - sometimes dogs within the same household thrive better on different foods - often high end premium foods have no differing effect to lower end brands for some dogs (and some do better on the lower end brands) - whereas others are the other way around.

Feed whatever suits your dog best - and if that happens to be different foods for different dogs, so be it - I've got 3 different foods on the go in our house atm over 7 dogs.

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Vitalins Adult Maintenance is a very good food - not sure if you've looked at that one. Cereal free with a good meat content. Their lamb sensitive isnt too bad either. Contains maize but they reckon the undigestable part of the maize has been taken out leaving just the germ.

I used to feed skinners but have come to the conclusion that it's better to have less cereal and more meat. In fact, I've come full circle and now feed 100% wet with no, or a v small % of rice.

8. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Will look into vitalin maintenance then, to be honest as far as I can see both dogs do well on the food they are on. Have enough energy, good teeth and lovely shiney coats, people always comment on how healthy they look. Glen been on salmon and rice now a few months so was just thinking about a wee change in flavour as i'm ordering it tomorrow.

9. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

I'm not sure if you all know this already but just incase you dont, someone may find it interesting: Meat/Fish meal is added as a dry ingredient to a diet and is particularly good for pet food manufacturers to use as its very consistent and stable as an ingredient. Meal also is an excellent source of digestible minerals e.g. calcium, phosphorus, potassium. Whereas Fresh Meat/Fish is added as a wet ingredient to a diet, sounds better to us buyers of diets but for the pet food manufacturers it has a shorter shelf life, is very expensive, has low mineral content but on the other hand is highly digestible and improves palatability when used in high quantities. OMG! I've turned into one of those boring nutritional bods!! Apologies, its just my thing!!:)

10. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

so in simple terms, fish good or bad for dogs? :eek:

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Fish is fine. In meal form, you are getting the exact percentage listed. In fresh form it will be the percentage listed, less the water taken out of the final product - hope that makes sense:D

12. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Basically (correct me if I'm wrong), but Mel is saying meat meal is better in a food than fresh meat.

People often look at fresh meat and assume it will be better than meat meal. In a dog food, it's wrong, you want meat meal because then you get the actual % of food stated. If they say fresh meat, they put the % in before dehydration. Once the meat is dehydrated it will actually only be a few %.

I misread is as fish first and was really confused lol.

13. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I have recently started mine on vitalin lamb and rice sensitive and Im very pleased with the results so far...I would only choose vitalin lamb and rice or vitalin chicken and potato cereal free of the range.
    The vitalin lamb and rice is not unlike AG lamb and rice very similar ingredients.
    I also like skinners F/T Duck and rice and happy to use that aswell.

Have tried many premium completes over many years and its what each dog suits best that matters in the end.;)

14. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Well I orderd duck and rice for a wee change so we'll see what happens. A 15kg bag lasts the boy 8-9weeks, working out at 40p a day which I think is great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice