UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My redundency money is due very soon so I've decided to treat myslef to a new compact camera :D

My Panasonic Lumix Compact has died - the lens won't open :( I believe this has happened to a couple of people who've owned this camera.

I love my Lumix G2
but it's to bulky and awkward when trying to hold 3 dogs leads, change the lens and then capture the photo :rolleyes:

My buget is approx £200 and I want a decent zoom :)

I think I've narrowed it down to the following - but welcome other suggestions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Do I go for the Panasonic again (despit my last one failing) - I know it takes fantastic pictures
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30 Digital Camera in Black - Digital Compact Cameras - Jessops

There is this Sony - although it's pushing my budget to it's limits
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Digital Camera in Black - Digital Compact Cameras - Jessops

The Cannon - spot on budget and I've heard good things about the powershots
Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Digital Camera in Black - Digital Compact Cameras - Jessops

and finally the Olympus - seems to tick all the boxes and is the cheapest
Olympus Superzoom SZ-14 Digital Camera in Black - Digital Compact Cameras - Jessops

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I wouldnt go for the same one again if the last one failed...

Olympus are nice but when I last bought a camera they were just slightly behind the others on spec's..

my old Sony cybershot is now 10 years old and has been dropped bounced abused and toted around Europe in coat pockets and dashboards of various cars and its unstoppable,, OH now uses it and even he hasnt managed to break it ( he breaks everything)

Good luck...

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I have a Canon Powershot and I love it. I have just recently bought hubby a Samsung for his birthday from Jessops as he was jealous of my little compact camera and the quality of the pics (+ I didn't want him to have the same :eek:) He is delighted with it and now never leaves the house on walks without it, he just slips it into his pocket.

Just a tip as well if you are getting it from Jessops, I had researched online and decided on the Samsung which was on offer for £99.95 so I reserved it online to collect from a local store where you pay for it on collection. When we went to the store the camera was on 'Managers Special' and when I looked at it the special price instore was £159.99 so I had saved £60 just by reserving it :eek: Don't know if this is the case with all of them but something definitely worth bearing in mind.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx guys - good to get some input form people who have used the cameras :)

so far 1 vote each for the Sony and the Canon.

Good to heare the Sony is so robust - I'm not known for being careful :eek:
I awlays like the photo's people post when using a Powershot - it does seem to take very good pics

Thx for the shopping tip BeagleOesx :)

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say panasonic, panasonic, panasonic .....I'm on my third panasonic, and will go for another one in a flash. Each one has been higher spec'ed than the first one and that's the only reason i've gone onto the next one.
I do love the panasonics, they take amazing pictures - but I'm a little resistant because my curent lumix compact failed :confused:

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked out Amazon can often get much cheaper from there than in the shops
Once I've decided which one to go for I'll shop around for the best pice :)
It's just the deciding :rolleyes: It's a lot of money to spend if I'm not happy.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've the panasonic fz45...and just love it. You can see the pics i take with it on my flickr link that is on my signature...

We do have a lumix compact also.....but i had pushed it and it couldn't do what i was looking for.
Your pictures are lovely - I've got my Panasonic G2 but I want something pocket sized for when out and about and I've taken some lovely shots with my compact but the fact that it's failed has put me off, but then I love the quality of pics you can get from a panasonic point and shoot.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have the Panasonic TZ20 and totally adore it :001_wub:, it has an amazing zoom, takes brilliant photos on auto and has the facilities to play with the settings if you want to. I also love the fact it has specific focus so you can tap the screen where you want it to focus and it does!

I think the body is pretty well made, I often dump it in the bottom of my walking bag or in coat pockets and it still looks like new, my only concession was to buy a screen protector as I was worried aout the touch screen and that is doing a good job of keeping it scratch free, I haven't chaged the protector in nearly a year.

One thing to consider is that the TZ range are totally different construction to the compact and if you bought from amazon you could get the accident insurance pretty cheaply for peace of mind - If the TZ30 comes up too pricy defo consider the TZ20 (not the TZ18 as it doesn't have assisted handheld night shot which is a god send)

Oh, movie mode is good too!

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know what you mean, once something has failed it kind of sours it...........I am the same with Nikon even though I know they are one of the best brands. I do think that so many of these things are made now, you can't help but get a dud one every so often - can you not return your old one as faulty? how long did you have it, if it is manufacturing fault it may be under warranty, if it is not a fault then I guess it could happen to any brand?

I seem to be collecting gadgets, I have so many I added specific cover to my home insurance which might be an option, that way if anything does happen you are covered.

I think to choose you might have to go into a store and test some - I tried the Samsung as well as a year ago only the Panasonic and the Samsung had the super zoom in a small package, I felt the Samsung was bulkier and did not feel so comfortable in my hand. TZ range just did everything I wanted.

Finally don't wait too long to decide, Panasonic are doing the £35 cashback offer again, I benefited from this last year and they really did send me a cheque about 2 weeks after purchasing.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
go for the sony their quality is always good
almost missed this post :)

So far its:
1 vote for cannon
2 for Sony
5 for Panasonic

I have a Fujifilm Finepix F550 EXR - really pleased with it.
And you are just trying to confuse me :p :D

I hate making decisions :( - especially as I know I won't be able to relplace the camera for a long time so I want to be sure I've got the right one :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.