Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which litter tray?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

I was wondering if anyone on here uses a self cleaning litter tray? If so, which is a good one? They seem quite expensive so I don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't work!

Also, which hooded trays are good? I have only ever used a tray with my previous cat so don't know much about these. Are they easy to clean out? How bad the smell hit you when you remove the top cover?

Kori

2. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I wouldnt bother with the self cleaning ones, I always think a simple open tray is the easiest to keep clean, especially if you use clumping litters like Cats Best/World's Best, Hooded trays (even those with filters) do retain smells in the hood (which is 10 times worse smell wise for cats than it is for our noses LOL) :)

3. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Thanks - actually that's helped me a lot. I didn't even think about how bad the smell would be for the poor kittens!

The one I was thinking about was the Omega Roll 'n clean. It seems to have mixed reviews on the internet.

Kori

4. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Kori

I used to use an open tray but couldn't cope with the litter being kicked everywhere and the smell while the cats were actually using it hits the air quicker. I got an enclosed one with the flap which stopped the litter being kicked out and also helped with the smell. I always cleaned the no 2's straight away so there was no smell for the cats when they went to use it again. I think a little smell from the urine actually helped them know where to go. They need their scent so they get used to it.
    Hope this helps.
    Sharon
    x

5. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

The roll & clean are AWFUL. I bought one & thought it was great for about a week. Then it dawned on me that it was creating a stench as there was no way you could use a liner with it so you had to scrub it clean, that is SCRUB it clean, as everything stuck to it. You are limited as to what litters you can use with it too.

A regular hooded litter tray with liner & your fave litter with a litter locker is about the best & most economical you're going to get.

6. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I agree, I used the Omega, but not for long - didn't like it. Personally, I prefer open litter trays as they are much easier to clean, & if you use a good litter, they don't smell. Having Ragdolls, which are big cats (plus rescue moggies), I don't actually use a specific litter tray. I buy big rectangular storage boxes. These are very easy to scoop from (if using clumping litter - I use Costco's Litter Purrfect), easy to clean, & actually give the cats room to move around! Because they've got reasonably high sides, you don't get the problem of litter being kicked out by over enthusiastic diggers either, lol! Hope this helps :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice