UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well the twins are now 15 weeks and making great progress in all areas. One of them in particular has an issue I am working on with regards to barking at most (not all) people we come across whilst walking in the park.

Anyway, on the subject of walking, we started off with them on a sort of nylon type adjustable coller for their very first walk on their leads but they really didnt like those and we had no control.

We got them walking on the next outing by swiching to harnesses and over the weeks have progressed to being able to have them walk in the park without being on a lead. They come when called because of reward training.

The issue I have is that whilst walking to and from the park with the lead attached to the harnesses, we dont seem to have the control I feel we need to get them to walk to heel.

Should we be moving away from the harnesses to a collar and if so what type is recommended?

Mark & Barbara.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Whatever equipment you use to walk to the park, they will still pull because they want to get there quickly.
You need to teach them to walk on a loose lead as a separate exercise.
Every time they pull you to the park they are learning that pulling gets them there quicker so you may have to stop the park outings for a while until you have taught them to walk without pulling.
If you search for "loose leash walking" there is loads of advice and links to help you deal with this issue.
You will resolve it, but it takes a little time.
HTH.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Hi Mark & Barbara

I personally use a double ended halti lead and clip that to the front and back of my dogs harness. Not 100% sure on how workable this is with two dogs. As for heeling, lead length is in my opinion irrelevant, you don't need physical control of a dog to keep it in heel or train it to heel either. It's all to do with training rather than leads, and at 15 weeks I wouldn't expect any kind of reliable heel regardless of any factors involved.

·
Swollen Member
5,842 Posts
you can try and alter your route to the park. You need to make them understand that they dont know where theyre going and they must look to you for direction. The old abrupt change of direction everytime the lead pulls tight is a bit irritating at first as you spend half an hour doing circles in the street but in my experience it does work and quite quickly too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.